Best running shoes for heavy runners?

2»

Replies

• gettingmeback2013
    gettingmeback2013 Posts: 114 Member
    Probably shouldn't run if you can't afford a pair of shoes that don't hurt your feet. Injury isn't what you need when you're trying to exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Probably shouldn't comment on threads asking for advice if you're just going to be counter-productive and rude.
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    My husband gets his shoes from New Balance. They are billed as being for "larger framed runners". Since he's a serious heavy lifter, he carries a lot of weight on his frame. He loves them. joesnewbalanceoutlet.com carries pretty good deals, that's where my husband gets all his shoes from. I'm a Brooks girl, myself, and I also have flat feet. I loved my Traces, and right now I'm rocking the pureCadence. They're lighter, but tighter, and both support my flat arches well. I can't decide if I'm going to switch back to Trances when my PureCadences die or not. The Trances are wider, you might like those. I got my Trances off the clearance rack at Finish Line, and I got my PurseCadences from Brooks' website, they are not the latest model, so they were discounted. I'd suggest going to a store like Finish Line (but really make sure the salesperson knows what they're talking about. A friend of mine, that I know knows what he's doing, helped me there) or a running store and trying several pair on.

I'm a huge fan of New Balance shoes as well. Just need to look into their cushioned shoes and stay away from their Minimus ones.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Id look more into seeing a podiatrist for orthotics that will help you so much more and can be worn in any shoe!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    I'm 5'10" and 225. I've been running in Mizuno Wave Nirvana 6 for about a year now. I love them. They were $70. Great shoes make all the difference. Good luck!
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    I love my New Balances when I need cushioning and stability. I would go to a running store... let them fit you and recommend a pair. THEN go to amazon.com and buy them there :) They are usually a lot cheaper... zappos.com works, too. Good luck!!!

NOT this ^^^^ At least the part where you go to a small business, take their personnel's individualized attention and expertise, and THEN go on line to get the stuff cheaper. If you go to the running store, be decent and make the initial purchase there. You need to replace running shoes fairly often. Buy your 2nd pair on line if you like.

This is what I'm thinking. I could never, with good conscience, go into a store and have them do all the measurements and other expertise that goes along with it and just leave to go by the recommended shoes elsewhere ... at least not unless the sales person was super rude.

And because of the cost fact, I've not yet been to a running store to be fitted, especially since I keep reading that running shoes for those of us who are heavy, and people like me with wide feet, are more costly than the normal running shoe.

Anyone have a ballpark figure on what kind of price I might be faced with when I go into one of those stores?
  • I definitely agree with all the posts about going to a running store to get fitted. Your first pair may be a little more pricey, but if you are having issues with other shoes, just in walking, then you are in the wrong type of shoes. A local running store found my best fit to be Brooks and I had no idea. I was in New Balance, and they we not working for me. Every person and every foot is different! I got a nice pair of stability Brooks for $95.

Good luck

so much this. go to a running store. if you are not properly fitted, you can SERIOUSLY hurt yourself. I started in New Balance and hated them. I went and got fitted and went with the Brooks. The right shoes really do make a world of difference!
  • I'm an Asics girl all the way (perfect for my high arches) and the ones I get are usually about $110 before tax at my favorite running store. Way more than I'm usually willing to spend, but after injuring both ankles training for a half marathon in crappy Payless shoes, I consider it money well spent.
  • amylite
    amylite Posts: 40 Member
    Brooks is the way to go! I have a few pairs of Brooks Ariel (the women's version of the "Beast") and they are excellent motion control shoes for those who need stability control (these will run anywhere from $80-$120 depending on where you get them). However, lately I have been run/walking with a brand new pair of neon green Brooks PureConnect, which are similiar to the barefoot shoes, but with much more comfort/padding. I picked those up on Amazon (thru Brooks) for only $59.99 a pair. Make sure you are fitted or know your size. I wear a 10 and Brooks 10.5 fits perfectly (AND YES, BROOKS MAKES WOMEN'S HALF SIZES above size 10!). Good luck!

(btw, I definately was fitted in a running store, and purchased my shoes there. But I found the PureConnect online and already knew my size)
  • gettingmeback2013

This is what I'm thinking. I could never, with good conscience, go into a store and have them do all the measurements and other expertise that goes along with it and just leave to go by the recommended shoes elsewhere ... at least not unless the sales person was super rude.

And because of the cost fact, I've not yet been to a running store to be fitted, especially since I keep reading that running shoes for those of us who are heavy, and people like me with wide feet, are more costly than the normal running shoe.

Anyone have a ballpark figure on what kind of price I might be faced with when I go into one of those stores?

I also agree and couldn't bring myself to not buy after the salesperson/establishment had been so helpful. I will certainly buy the first pair where I get the help, then see where else may carry them after that.

My asking around has brought a price range of 80-200 dollars depending on the shoe, of course.
  • gettingmeback2013
    Thank you all so much for your input. I have been reading many good things about Asics and Brooks! I'm hoping I can wear one of those!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,035 Member
    I would love to go to a running store to get fitted, however there aren't any close and the $ is as always an issue. I replace my shoes every 3-4 months because of the mileage I put on them (appriximately 125- 150 miles a month).
    Right now I am in ASICS GEL-1170's . . . I would love a pair of Brooks some day though.
    If you can't get to a running store try runner's world shoe finder- you in put all your information and they recommend a bunch of shoes for you:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor
  • I love my New Balances when I need cushioning and stability. I would go to a running store... let them fit you and recommend a pair. THEN go to amazon.com and buy them there :) They are usually a lot cheaper... zappos.com works, too. Good luck!!!

NOT this ^^^^ At least the part where you go to a small business, take their personnel's individualized attention and expertise, and THEN go on line to get the stuff cheaper. If you go to the running store, be decent and make the initial purchase there. You need to replace running shoes fairly often. Buy your 2nd pair on line if you like.

Totally with you on this. I love my running store enough that I refuse to buy my athletic shoes anywhere else because they're awesome and I want them to stay in business, but not everyone can afford an outlay of $100+ every year (or more often, depending on how often you replace your shoes). Until recently I certainly couldn't.

I usually spend between $120 and $140 when I go to Run With Us(http://www.clubrunwithus.com/home.html). You may be able to find less expensive shoes that work for you.

Good luck with your search!
  • bubbanene
    bubbanene Posts: 101 Member
    a good running shoe store will have a treadmill to watch your style , thats best way to get shoes
  • Onperch
    Onperch Posts: 45 Member
    I've had chronic foot pain. Plantar fasciitis etc.. I have fallen arches, pronation. As well as extra weight.

Brooks Beast have been the best for motion control. Brooks Adrenaline for a compromise if you want more cushioning.

They're all that I ever buy now. Get a nice clean used pair to save yourself money.
  • I joined today because of all of the great and thoughtful advice on this forum. Thank you all--you girls and guys rock!