Healthy alternative for my addictions!!

Options
rmblazey
rmblazey Posts: 10 Member
I have some serious love for peanut butter, cheese (cheddar) and crisps (walkers ready salted)

I need some healthy alternatives!

I haven't actually had any crisps so far but as I see this as a new lifestyle so i know that i am going to cave into their yummyness at some point! Until today I hadn’t had peanut butter.. I have heard that Almond butter is good? Has anyone tried it? Preferably anyone that has mega loving for peanut butter like me! lol >.<

As for cheese... I have been eating this… probably nearly every day. I know this is bad. But I used to have nearly half a block a day! (no wonder I am fat) Now, I have only been having about 10grams on my pasta! Which to me, is a massive improvement. If I can find a good alternative than I would to be able to say that I don’t have the extra fat intake from that to worry about.

All suggestions welcome! :)

Replies

• youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Do you have PB2 available where you are? It's real peanut butter but in powder form, and 85% lower in calories. You add a bit of water and it's lovely, or you can add it to a protein shake.
  • Skinny_Issy
    Options
    you can buy a micro-grater for cheese. it grates it really finely so you feel like you're having more than you really are.
  • rmblazey
    Options
    Do you have PB2 available where you are? It's real peanut butter but in powder form, and 85% lower in calories. You add a bit of water and it's lovely, or you can add it to a protein shake.

I'm not sure but I am defo going to look into that! Thank you for letting me know!!
    you can buy a micro-grater for cheese. it grates it really finely so you feel like you're having more than you really are.

thats a wicked idea! Thanks :)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    1/2 a block of cheese a day? Girl, I'm with you on that! I just had to quit buying cheese. At first, I just relied on Kraft Grated 100% Parmesan Cheese, and put it on everything. Over time, the obsession with cheese, like my obsession with sweets, soda, etc weakened. And now I can choose to have some grated cheese on my salad (or not) without having the eat the entire block of cheese. Actually, it kinda makes me ill to think about that.
  • tabithaskechak
    Options
    I have peanut butter after a workout but only 1 tablespoon, I have had almond butter, it's not AS tasty as peanut butter but it's still a good substitute if you want to completely cut out peanut butter.

I don't cut anything out though, I just have stuff in moderation. I have a weakness for yummy food and can't keep myself away from it :P

Don't torture yourself by not allowing yourself to have what you enjoy, just don't over indulge! :)

They both have great ideas though, I use fine shredded cheddar and it does help cut down on the intake a lot!

good luck :)
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If it all fits in with your diary allowance and you do not over do it then why cut them out?

I have 2 packs of salt n vinegar squares most evenings. during the day I will have a 10g piece of cheddar.

am not into peanut butter but I have a teaspoon of nutella after lunch and dinner to give me the answer to my sweet cravings.

Everything in moderation is the key.

IMO if you are making this a change for life then don`t cut out things that you enjoy, maybe just restrict them to smaller portions?

Of course, if you prefer to change to healthier options then you can maybe try special K crisps. (Tried them they are awful lol)

Reduced fat cheese (it is OK)

No peanut butter
  • crewsocks
    Options
    I have a HUGE addiction to sweets! HUGE! Something I have found that is low in calorie and high in protein and absolutely delicious is Yoplait Greek frozen yogurt bars! They make a vanilla and honey and OMG it is so good and filling very much like an icecream bar but better for you! I tell you on nights when I want to head for the peanut butter or whatever else, just one of these 80 calorie, 10g protein yogurt bar does the trick!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Roast lentils instead of chips; they are crunchy, salty, and full of fiber.

>Soak lentils in 4 cups of water in a medium bowl for 4-6 hours. The longer you soak, the less chance the lentils will cause gas or bloating when you eat them.
    >When the lentils are ready, preheat oven to 350F, drain and rinse them really well before spreading across a 13×9 rimmed baking sheet and sprinkling with salt.
    >Bake in preheated oven on the middle rack for 30-35 minutes, or until lentils are crisp and crunchy. When complete, allow to cool to room temperature.

Also look into nutritional yeast for a cheese substitute. It isn't nearly as good, but sprinkled on pasta 1/2 and 1/2 with cheese you might not notice much of a difference. Also, it;s loaded with nutrition.
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Important to remember that no food should be completely off limits. If you wish to have these things just be sure you measure your portion and count it in your calories. And if you don't have enough calories you can always workout to get calories to have a bit of what you are craving. If you deny what you truly love to eat, in the end you could go overboard! I love peanut butter, but usually only have 1/2 tablespoon as part of my pre-run breakfast. Cheese I don't eat too much of. But chips (crisps) are a weakness for me so I definitely try to avoid them, but when I have them I have to measure them into a bowl. When I don't, I tend to overeat them! Good luck!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese every day!
    I eat PB a few times a week...used to eat it more but I go through phases of getting tired of certain foods.

As far as crispy stuff, I like to bake chick peas for a crunchy snack. Lentil Crisps or Snap Pea Crisps are somewhat processed but healthier than potato chips. Pretzels would also be a better option.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    As far as crisps go, popcorn may be a healthier alternative. Also, I find celery to have a salty taste and it satisfies my munchies :)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

No!!!!

Please OP don't resort to this.

Just stick with the regular peanut butter.

It's good for you. If you go down this route next thing you know you're getting fat free mayo and drinking light beer. And then you'll be thin. Thin and friendless because nobody wants to hang out with a PB2 eating, fat free mayo consuming, light beer drinking food snob who can't figure out that moderation is the key to weight loss.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I keep my mind off food by drinking crazy amounts of alcohol and abusing prescription drugs. I got to keep all my friends too. No one stops calling you when you owe them money.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I know someone who tastes like peanut butter...pm me and ill tell you
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I find almond butter (with a little bit of honey) more satisfying than peanut butter so I switched to that and have better luck with portion control. PB2 with chocolate is ok but doesn't give me my peanut butter fix.

For crunchy snacks, try veggie chips (I especially like beet chips and green bean chips). They're crunchy and salty but less calories than potato chips and a few vitamins.

For cheese, I agree that shredding it can make it seem like more. I also use Laughing cow wedges (more like cream cheese) and low calorie string cheese (but that's mozzarella not cheddar)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

No!!!!

Please OP don't resort to this.

Just stick with the regular peanut butter.

It's good for you. If you go down this route next thing you know you're getting fat free mayo and drinking light beer. And then you'll be thin. Thin and friendless because nobody wants to hang out with a PB2 eating, fat free mayo consuming, light beer drinking food snob who can't figure out that moderation is the key to weight loss.

I have to say I agree...

Substitutes will never satisfy you like the real thing, and it's important to learn moderation, anyway. The foods you describe are not unhealthy, but they are calorie-dense so you need to control portion size.

More specifically re: cheese and peanut butter. If you increase the sources of lean protein in your diet, your need for huge amounts of cheese and peanut butter should go down. Don't cut them altogether--just eat more fat-free Greek yogurt, lentils, chicken breasts (if you're not a vegetarian), etc.

If you really want to give up potato chips, try making kale chips at home. They are easy and quite tasty, though not entirely free of fat and salt (not that you have to avoid either of those things, but it's something to keep an eye on).
  • kbeaumont88
    kbeaumont88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I switched to a Natural Peanut butter and have 1 tablespoon on my english muffin for breakfast almost every day. It's no less calories, but heard its better for me. I agree with those who say in moderation is the best! I would have normally put at least 2 tablespoons on my muffin, but cut it back and I'm just as happy.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like the laughing cow cheese wedges when I want cheese on things. They are really pretty tasty! I like almond butter more than regular peanut butter, but it has the same number of calories.

I've NEVER found anything I like as much as Blue Bell ice cream, though :(

For chips (crisps), I like popcorn chips, but you have to find a good brand. I like popcorners but have trouble finding them anywhere. They are like 120 calories per bag and delicious.
  • rmblazey
    Options
    Thank you all for replying!

Every reply has helped me in its own way. Haha!

It does make me feel better that I dont have to completely cut these things out!

Good shout about working out more so I can cover it. I am going to use them to motivate me to do more. If i feel like i have earnt them, I will enjoy them more too! :D

I was feeling rather down in the dumps thinking about having to give them up. But I feel so much better now!

The Chick peas and lentals sound lovely, too!
    Very excited to try these.

I defo dont want to be a skinny food snob!!!! lol! :laugh:
    I can not stand fat free mayo!
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options

I love PB2. Some amazing stuff. I wouldn't consider it a substitute bc it's real peanuts, just the oil extracted. it's 45 calories for 2tbsp comapred to average 190 calories for 2 tbsp of regular peanut butter. For me at least, it's great if I want something sweet w/o adding almost 200 calories. I have it w/ either apples, bananas, or strawberries.

Yum!!