Polite way to turn down dessert at your mother in laws.

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    "I don't like Pie" with a smile! :smile:

"I don't like Pie" with THIS smile! :wink:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I never explain my "no thank you" because that just gives room for people to argue. Just say "no thank you" and if they persist say "no thank you" again.

ETA: I wouldn't work it in because I don't like blueberries. Most other things I would.
  • TStrickland007
    Options
    A whimsical young group of kids full of jollification subjected to eating blueberry pie. Everything was fine, until the pressure got to them. Then they started locking themselves in their office doing liqour shots and chasing them with pepto bismol,smoking cigars & whatnot. Too much pressure!! "Eat the blueberry pie quickly!" they say. Reminds me of "The Hunger Games." lol
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    How about "that looks fantastic, but I'm so full that I can't eat another bite. Can I take a piece home for later?" Of course, not giving the honest response that you are on a new eating plan and are trying to cut back on sugar assures that you will continue to be offered dessert in the future. So the first suggestion will work short term, but not so much for the long term...
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    You are not going to believe this awesome advice. "No thank you."

You're welcome.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    So what is the polite way to turn down blueberry pie at your Mother in Laws house.
    (PS she even asked for us to buy the pie shells & bring them over) lol

I've lately simply been saying "no thanks".

If she questions further couldn't you nicely explain that as much as you love her desserts, you're trying to lose weight?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If she keeps persisting, tell her that it is impolite to partake in your mother-in-law's pie.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My mother is a fantastic baker. I eat her homemade dessert every single Sunday and will do while she is still fit to make it. Once a week if fine. If I am at her house during the week I decline cake with my afternoon tea, saying I am too full from lunch.

My Mother in law, on the other hand, buys her desserts from the supermarket. I am NOT wasting calories on shop bought additive full rubbish. So I say no thank you.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    My mother is a fantastic baker. I eat her homemade dessert every single Sunday and will do while she is still fit to make it. Once a week if fine. If I am at her house during the week I decline cake with my afternoon tea, saying I am too full from lunch.

My Mother in law, on the other hand, buys her desserts from the supermarket. I am NOT wasting calories on shop bought additive full rubbish. So I say no thank you.

Yeah I like this if its fresh homemade blue berry pie fit it in enjoy it. If it's frozen pie crust with canned blueberries than that would be a "No thank you. My stomach feels a bit off."
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Ok I will be the odd man out here.... I would do like I always do and make room for it in my caloric intake. I would get to enjoy a slice of pie and my mother in law (god rest her soul) would have been happy. And I don't know about yours but my mother in law baked her pies from scratch with lard. No way I would passing up a slice of that and the good part is I would go home and the rest of the pie would have stayed at her place... Best of Luck....

Love you, Ed!!

I agree. Usually when I have a meal with my MIL, I just make room for it.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    "Yes, please! Can I have TWO slices?" Take one pretend bite when no one is looking. "Wow this is so good! You know what this needs! Ice cream!", take plate to kitchen and dump down disposal while pretending to heat up spoon under hot running water for said ice cream. Walk to freezer and Proclaim "What? No ice cream? Just as well, I already finished my pie. So fast. That was soooooo good you should enter it in a county fair contest, thank's moms!" (Same excuse if you find the ice cream bring it to the table and plop it on everyone elses plate cause food pushing is FUN, and then sadly proclaim "Oh darn, I ate my pie so fast I didn't even get to the ice cream and now I'm too stuffed--shucks!")

Two pieces because now you cannot be offered 2nds for loving it so much, can claim being "stuffed" and there will be less pie left to offer you later after 3 rounds of awkward charade or whatever goes on at in-law dinners.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This is so full of win, there just aren't adequate words....
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    "It looks amazing, but no thank you". Put a compliment in there before declining - bakers want to hear it looks/smells amazing...at least I do!

I sometimes try "I would love some, but I can't"
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I think someone else said this too but I would just eat a small portion. You don't go over too much and she doesn't get offended. Now if you don't like her cooking, that's a different issue.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Just a reminder...'No.' is a complete sentence. To be polite, add 'Thank you' either before or after.
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    a small portion ( a half slice) or no thanks , I am too stuffed from fantastic dinner!. How bout I take one home for later. Then you can ditch it or pass it off to someone else .
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My MIL is on the paleo diet so we share tips ;)
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    fart and clear the room so nobody eats it?

O wait that is my dad.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Ok I will be the odd man out here.... I would do like I always do and make room for it in my caloric intake. I would get to enjoy a slice of pie and my mother in law (god rest her soul) would have been happy. And I don't know about yours but my mother in law baked her pies from scratch with lard. No way I would passing up a slice of that and the good part is I would go home and the rest of the pie would have stayed at her place... Best of Luck....

That sounds like a good plan. I would go for a nice long run or lifting session in the morning so I would have some calories to eat back, and then I would eat the dessert.
  • TStrickland007
    Options
    lol
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    fart and clear the room so nobody eats it?

O wait that is my dad.

^^^ Or get the dog to! If that fails, then a small slice and drag everybody out to walk the said dog to earn the calories back!