Eating after 8 pm? Do you as I try not too?

Options

Replies

• ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm old now so I try not to eat after around 9pm. Stomach discomfort when I go to sleep.
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat a minute after you go to sleep but any time before that is perfectly fine.

I've never eaten while sleeping before. Teach me, oh wise one.

Ambien

LO so true. A friend of mine was on it and found protein bar wrappers in her bed one morning. She thought 'no wonder I can't lose weight, I sleep-eat!!' Not to mention she spilled hot coffee on herself once during a sleep walking/eating episode. Weird. She went off that right away.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Eat till I reach calorie limit. That's usually 11:30pm at night for me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mag2906
    mag2906 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I struggled with late night eating for years, okay, often it was binging. I just don't eat after dinner. Its not an option, I am afraid if I do I will awaken the beast. I would rather go to bed hungry than end up binging and feeling like crap in the morning. If I am desperate I will drink some milk. If I eat a desert, it is within an hour after dinner and I consider it part of dinner.
    If you don't have problems with late night eating, then I don't see why not.

I too try not to eat after dinner - because eating after dinner usually means mindless snacking.
    Also, most of the time I do not have any calories left :) But I do not setup rules, if it's late and I haven't had my dinner yet, you bet I'm gonna eat it.
  • pevansk47
    pevansk47 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist have me on a carb diet! By the time 8pm comes I have already ate my 11 carbs a day! Every now and then if I go out I eat after 8 but I am also dancing it off! I myself try not to eat after 8pm. I sleep better!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'm pigging out at that time.
  • pappycanoli
    pappycanoli Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That is my cut off time. It's funny, i seem to get hungry right before that time. I think its all in my mind.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I usually eat late. Often at 11pm. And I make sure I have calories for a large dinner. Dinner is my biggest meal of the day. It is an unwind. And I can't sleep if I'm hungry.

I think this "rule" was designed to stop people from making multiple trips to the freezer for late night ice cream or chips, because you end up eating more overall.

If you eat all that before 8 pm you will be just as fat.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I eat the majority of my calories between 7-9pm, unless I get to work out in the morning which is rare. I find that I am more productive at work if I eat light during the day. It hasn't hindered my weightloss or maintenance in the slightest.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    Ugh I dunno.., its nearly 8pm and I still have 955 calories to consume
  • saggi2u
    saggi2u Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I usually do not eat after 8.. Nothing to do with weightloss myths but I guess its more like training my mind not to snack on ... I used to get cravings for dessert or a chocolate... It helps me avoid mindless eating as I call it!!! Sometimes i give in.. But thats ok once in a while, right??!!!
  • vick441
    vick441 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A few ppl have already mentioned that - whereas you better keep hunger away, you simply don't get a good sleep on a full stomach, so allow some time to digest your meal depends on it's size
  • KathrynNicole86
    Options
    I wouldn't eat a minute after you go to sleep but any time before that is perfectly fine.

I've never eaten while sleeping before. Teach me, oh wise one.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing!
  • ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I usually go the gym after work so sometimes I may come home grab something small, go the gym an hour later and then come home and do a protein shake or sometimes just a skinny cow ice cream sandwich depending on how I feel :-) I usually spoil myself after 8 :-)
  • jinna86
    jinna86 Posts: 93
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that morning people are more susceptible to stress and bad decisions at night (and the opposite might be true of night owls being more stressed in the morning), so perhaps the 8pm rule is geared towards morning people who are vulnerable to bad decisions at night. I myself am more of a morning person and I find it much easier to be disciplined in the morning than at night (it's so difficult to say no to treats in the evening), however I definitely eat after 8pm, because being hungry in the evening just causes more stress and would further increase the temptation for junk :tongue:
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Why are some people hungry before bed? Don't they socialize during the day, haha? But seriously, why? If you work 9-5 and it's a preference to eat up until bedtime, what's the reasoning? Do you eat more frequently? Is part of it stress or boredom? What would happen if you didn't keep your mouth going? In the past people didn't snack. In say Europe people don't snack.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'm eating sharp cheddar and turkey snack sticks right now.
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    I eat right up to bed time. As long as your calorie count is on then go for it
  • g1lbertsgrape
    g1lbertsgrape Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tend to not eat 2 hours before i go to bed. I have noticed that if I eat and then head to bed I don't sleep as well as if I plan my eating patterns and eat well before I go to bed.
    From what I have read 90% of the nutrients from food get broken down between 30 minutes and 120 minutes so your body is working hard to break down these nutrients. If you eat at 8:30 and go to bed at 9:30 you have only broken down close to 50% of these nutrients and then you're trying to wind your body down for the nights sleep.
    I work by this theory and I sleep like a baby every night.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I like to have a bowl of oatmeal or something else filling and warm an hour or two before bedtime. It helps me sleep and I plan the calories for it. Just nothing spicy or really strong tasting, because I don't need the heartburn. ;)