Has Anyone Tried The Miracle Noodle?

Options

Replies

• Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I bought the tofu shiritaki.( thick size) rinsed and dry fried..The texture was weird..i also have some thin noodles..maybe those will be better and I will try the previous posted stir fry recipe. thanks:flowerforyou:
  • taaaters
    taaaters Posts: 70
    Options
    I don't mind them, but what I tend to do is rinse them, then put them in a bowl of boiling water for a couple of minutes and drain. Then I fry up some garlic and chilli with cooking spray (if it's a stirfry I will put ginger and lemongrass in also) and throw the noodles in once it's fragrant and fry for a few minutes. I'll then set aside and keep warm, cook up a stirfry, or pasta sauce, or whatever and then I'll add them in a few minutes before the dish is done so they can take on the other flavours. I find that way they have that bit more kick flavour-wise.
  • Roxiesmother
    Options
    I don't mind the taste of them, but I do find that they make me really bloated afterwards, for a few hours. Does anyone else find that?
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've had Shirataki noodles before. They do smell a little funky when you take them out of the packet, but I have a colander ready and rinse them really well. Once you add sauce or anything to them they just taste like the sauce, with no lasting smell :) I have added a jar of salsa and some vegetables and had them for lunch for something quick and easy.

I made a 'ramen' type meal for myself and my boyfriend before as well, and he really liked the noodles. They do have a different texture - they're kind of chewy. My boyfriend described them as 'smacky' :p The only things I think they wouldn't be that great for is frying (for fried noodle dishes) or baking (for pasta bake) though some people may have had some success with that?

There is a facebook page for the supplier in Australia and they seem to post recipes fairly frequently. There is a lot of noodle salads and asian type dishes mostly but if you like trying new things it might be fun :)
    http://www.facebook.com/SlimPastaRecipes
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow, I thank you all for sharing your experiences and also for a recipe someone above shared and the Link for Facebook.
    I am more ready to try them possibly today. Not so scarey anymore :)
  • adoll63
    adoll63 Posts: 1
    Options
    I thought they were disgusting, but my BF likes them. After someone posted to fry them, I would try once again.
  • eats1
    eats1 Posts: 16
    Options
    I bought 2 packets of this Slim Pasta. I hate to tell you I hate the smell and the texture ..... yuk!! However, I shall keep the unopened one just in case I run out of calories - but they will be a very last resort. Good luck with them.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The Hungry Girl website has a ton of recipes for the noodles - http://www.hungry-girl.com/

Although I personally find them a bit icky. I'd rather just skip the pasta and eat the sauce. :)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    yes, i get the shirataki noodles, and have them quite regularly. not sure how they are with pasta sauce. but if you drain them, rinse them under water until the "fishy" smell is gone, the cook in a skillet 10 minutes and add stir fry veggies, a protein (chicken, tofu, beef tips etc) and a sauce (soy, sweet and sour, teryiaki, etc) and some spices i think it's tasty. i made a stir fry last night and making one tonight, it's like a pound of food or close to it per serving, 165 calories each :]
    some people don't like the texture bc they are kinda slimyish, but they don't bother me.
  • keem88
    Options
    Hmmmm, wonder what I'll do with them now............they seem a bit scarey now, lol. I paid 3.99 for 7 oz too!! and it's in liquid so I wonder what little I'll even have to eat by the time I drain, dry etc.....ha, ha. Well, if nothing else, it'll be an adventure thing.

damn you're over paying. go to a local asian market and find the traditional ones, usually around a dollar for a 7/8 ounce bag. that's where i get them, or at shoprite i pay more and get them 1.99 lol
  • keem88
    Options
    but if you really don't like them, get a huge spaghetti squash and make a "lasagna" casserole. the spaghetti squash doesn't taste like spaghetti in no way, but if you're gonna sub spaghetti to begin with, it's good with the spaghetti squash, sauce and cheese baked in the oven. low calorie as well
  • keem88
    Options
    i totally don't get what everyone is going on about with the smell!

true, the liquid they're packed in doesn't smell that great, but it's not like you open the package and a stink rushes out and punches you in the face!

i open the packet, put them in a strainer and run them under water, and i barely smell it.

agreed, i have had several brands and unless my face is all up in the bag or the strainer, i can't smell it. they're really not bad, my bf eats them too. i also use them in place of egg noodles when i make my meatless stroganoff sauce, very tasty as well
  • eileen7316
    eileen7316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I hated them. It was like eating rubber bands after I dry fried them.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I really really wanted to love these.
    I followed the directions (rinsed them really well, then once again for good measure).
    I pan fried them, then tossed in my veggies, sauce, meat, etc.

The texture was horrible. Slimy rubber bands would be the thought that comes to mind.
    There was no real flavor to the noodle itself. All I could taste was the teriyaki mix that I'd made, but the texture was a huge turn off.
    I tried eating the leftovers the next day (to see if time or cold/reheat improved things). It was actually worse.
    I tossed the whole batch in the trash.

I'll stick to zucchini "noodles".
  • Cassea7
    Options
    I really really wanted to love these.
    I followed the directions (rinsed them really well, then once again for good measure).
    I pan fried them, then tossed in my veggies, sauce, meat, etc.

The texture was horrible. Slimy rubber bands would be the thought that comes to mind.
    There was no real flavor to the noodle itself. All I could taste was the teriyaki mix that I'd made, but the texture was a huge turn off.
    I tried eating the leftovers the next day (to see if time or cold/reheat improved things). It was actually worse.
    I tossed the whole batch in the trash.

I'll stick to zucchini "noodles".

Hi,,Just wondering what "zucchini noodles" are?
  • GabyBaby916
    Options
    I use a veggie peeler or a julienne peeler (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Julienne-Protector-Stainless/dp/B0000CEWJD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366218023&sr=8-1&keywords=julienne+peeler).

Step 1:
    You cut a zucchini into thin spaghetti or linguini sized strips, then sprinkle them with a bit of salt. (You can leave the skin on).

Step 2:
    Lay them in a single layer on some paper towels for about 20 minutes to draw out extra moisture.
    Give a good squeeze (to grab the moisture and to wipe off excess salt).

Step 3:
    Saute for a minute or two (basically to warm them up) in a pan over medium heat and you're all set!

To be quite honest, I only do step 2 about half the time and the "noodles" turn out just fine (but are a little 'wet' the next day).
    They' have an al dente "chew" to them very similar to regular pasta, no huge flavor of their own that detracts from whatever sauce you want to use with them.

Sometimes I eat them with pasta sauce (ie like a spaghetti), sometimes with a peanut sauce and other veggies/chicken tossed in for a thai style noodle dish.
    My current favorite is to saute them in a pinch of butter, garlic, and either parmesan cheese or a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese. This is my go-to side dish along with cauliflower "rice".

Edited to add:
    My family loves them too. Even my teens (who only really want junk food) will slurp them down and ask for more.
  • Cassea7
    Options
    I use a veggie peeler or a julienne peeler (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Julienne-Protector-Stainless/dp/B0000CEWJD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366218023&sr=8-1&keywords=julienne+peeler).

Step 1:
    You cut a zucchini into thin spaghetti or linguini sized strips, then sprinkle them with a bit of salt. (You can leave the skin on).

Step 2:
    Lay them in a single layer on some paper towels for about 20 minutes to draw out extra moisture.
    Give a good squeeze (to grab the moisture and to wipe off excess salt).

Step 3:
    Saute for a minute or two (basically to warm them up) in a pan over medium heat and you're all set!

To be quite honest, I only do step 2 about half the time and the "noodles" turn out just fine (but are a little 'wet' the next day).
    They' have an al dente "chew" to them very similar to regular pasta, no huge flavor of their own that detracts from whatever sauce you want to use with them.

Sometimes I eat them with pasta sauce (ie like a spaghetti), sometimes with a peanut sauce and other veggies/chicken tossed in for a thai style noodle dish.
    My current favorite is to saute them in a pinch of butter, garlic, and either parmesan cheese or a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese. This is my go-to side dish along with cauliflower "rice".

Edited to add:
    My family loves them too. Even my teens (who only really want junk food) will slurp them down and ask for more.

Thankyou so much for this recipe..I will definately make them as i really like zucchini!! MMMMMMmmmmm! :flowerforyou:
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have had tofu shirataki noodles before. As far as I am concerned, they are only edible in stir frys. In anything else I cannot get past the squidgy texture. They are NOT a substitute for pasta.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I thought they were disgusting due to the texture and squeak, but my friend recently tried the Slim Noodle brand and really liked it, so I guess you'll just have to try and see for yourself.
  • GabyBaby916
    Options
    Thankyou so much for this recipe..I will definately make them as i really like zucchini!! MMMMMMmmmmm! :flowerforyou:
    You're quite welcome! :smile: