Any 10,000 Steps (Daily) Success stories?

Options

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I use the FITBIT One and love it! My daily goal is 13,000 steps which is pretty easy to hit since I gave up my car about a year ago. I love beating my daily goal and competing with friends on the Fitbit website.

That's fabulous! I'm finding competing with myself in this 10,000 step business is super motivating to me--I LOVE IT!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I'm finding this 10,000 steps daily is REALLY doing some damage to my lazy and sedentary ways. Yesterday I did over 11,000 and today I did 10,133, which included some serious fat crying sessions in mowing/manicuring my lawns today.

If anyone isn't trying this, please do...it's really a terrific challenge and as you see you've only got 5 or 6 thousand steps in, you'll find yourself going the extra mile (literally) to make it 10,000+ for the day...at least I sure do!
  • kapot
    kapot Posts: 53
    Options
    I got my fitbit today and managed 9700 steps, so really pleased with myself.
  • LvlyLars
    LvlyLars Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit too but hadn't heard of earnedit. How is that??
  • ColleenDeBeasi
    ColleenDeBeasi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with my fitbit one. I got it for Christmas and started using it on 12/26. I live in a major city, so getting steps isn't a challenge, but I challenge myself to get as many steps per day as possible- a minimum of 12,000. I usually am around 18,000-20,000.

Not a total success story just yet, but I am down 19.6 pounds since 12/26, even with some significant "life things" happening. It was a big eye opener to see how many calories I really needed- I'm actually super active, but I never felt that way. I routinely eat around 2,000 calories, and that seems to be working well for me!
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I use the FITBIT One and love it! My daily goal is 13,000 steps which is pretty easy to hit since I gave up my car about a year ago. I love beating my daily goal and competing with friends on the Fitbit website.

I just got my fitbit and it's amazing how encouragaing it is! love it
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have hit my 15,000 daily steps 3 times but have yet to hit my 20,000.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Activity

17716 steps taken
    53 floors climbed
    You have climbed: The World's Tallest Tent
    7.31 miles traveled
    2497 calories burned
    1533 active score
    Top Daily Step Badge
    15,000 steps
    Top Daily Climb Badge
    50 floors

This is my fitbit one dashboard from 4/17/13. Typically, I am getting 17,000 to 18,000 steps M-F, with 60 minutes of cardio (mostly elliptical) weekends, I get 12,000-15,000 and walk 3 miles each day. I got my fitbit on 2/9/13. I love it. It is a great motivator and challenges me to do more. My next goal is 20,000.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Activity

17716 steps taken
    53 floors climbed
    You have climbed: The World's Tallest Tent
    7.31 miles traveled
    2497 calories burned
    1533 active score
    Top Daily Step Badge
    15,000 steps
    Top Daily Climb Badge
    50 floors

This is my fitbit one dashboard from 4/17/13. Typically, I am getting 17,000 to 18,000 steps M-F, with 60 minutes of cardio (mostly elliptical) weekends, I get 12,000-15,000 and walk 3 miles each day. I got my fitbit on 2/9/13. I love it. It is a great motivator and challenges me to do more. My next goal is 20,000.

This is sooooo tremendously encouraging and super inspirational...you ROCK my friend, period! WOOT:love::drinker: :flowerforyou: Look at your results....super WOW and YAY!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    My company started a walking program with a cheap pedometer in November. Each month our goals changed. (First month was just 5000 3 times a week.) This month it is 25,000 steps a week.

In January, I started walking a bunch. I walked over 80 miles in January. I got my FitBit at the end of February, and I don't think I've had less than 5000 steps any day. I beat 10,000 most days. I've hit 15,000 half a dozen times, and 20,000 2 times.

I do have trouble getting flights of stairs in because I am rarely in a two story building, Although my new gym's cardio is upstairs. One of these days I'm going to get brave and try the stair machine. My record is 12 flights.

Having the pedometer has definitely helped me keep on track. Some nights I'll walk around my house or stand behind the couch and march or run in place to increase my steps. (Better than sitting on the couch!!)

Love this, especially standing behind the cough marching :wink: Also, stair climbing is really under-rated. I have this little doo-hickey by Nordic track, it's called the nordic track mini stepper and this thing is FIERCE. It has elastic resistance bands for full body/upper body work-out and again, it's a little thingy, but powerful as all get out. I found my at sears on sale a couple of years ago for under $25.00 bucks! It's help accomplish the daily steps for sure and then some!
  • iamabutterflychaser
    iamabutterflychaser Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I made a goal of 10,000 steps, but I have only reached it a couple of times. It's difficult when you have a desk job, because I do such little walking at work. Even when I wear it during my regular workout (Curves), I may only get up to about 5 or 6,000 in a day. I did figure out that a mile for me is around 2,750 steps, so if I have time to also go on a 3-4 mile walk, I can easily reach 10,000 +. Since wearing the pedometer, it really makes me realize how little I'm moving in a day. But, as a result, I am now going out of my way to figure out how to get more steps in throughout the day. Awareness is key!
  • edspillane
    edspillane Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am trying to average 12,000 steps a day. It's hard but the next 60 days I'm committed to doing it. Fitbit is great for that. If you have fitbit, feel free to friend me there because it's nice to compare steps per day. :)
  • edspillane
    edspillane Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The only time I hit over 20,000 was while walking at disneyland! Needless to say I ate a lot that day!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I usually getAT LEAST 10,000 steps a day. I am Not Absolutely Positive how much impact that has on my Success, as I tend to Exercise A Lot, and I don't even wear my Pedometer when I am on a Machine like the Bike, Treadmill, or Elliptical.
    The Pedometer just reminds me to stay active.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Went out walking today and my son said "Mother, I found your other stepper counter, can I have it?" They got me this ultra cool watch thingy called a nano and I love it. A Few weeks before that, they got me this other step counter thingy. Anyway, I told him no, that I wanted it just in case, turned it on--put it in my pocket and was out the door. I also turned on my watch stepper. After my long long walk, I checked my stepper watch and BLAST! I didn't turn it on like I thought I did--and lo and behold...I remembered I had my stepper thingy in my pocket, so I got my steps (minus the mowing time, but that's okay). I was THRILLED and I'm always going to keep this extra one with me just in case! My steps today (minus my mowing) was 9066--:drinker:
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Now you have to go buy your son one.
  • Lorax250
    Lorax250 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As a college student my average was at 8k from just walking to and from class. Living in the city made it easier to walk more as well. Now that I'm home, I'm lucky if I hit 3k because I work a desk job.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've been aware of the 10K step recommendation over the years and bought a couple of pedometers that were crap so I gave up on them. I would pace my usual walking routes in my car to get a ball-park estimate of mileage. Very frustrating. In mid-November I got a Fitbit One and it has changed my life (well that may be exaggerating a bit). It has re-set my motivation about moving my body. I love this device -- and it is so accurate. I exercise at the Y 3-5 hours a week, but also try to get my steps in, especially if my schedule doesn't allow for the gym. Last Thursday I walked around my neighborhood for two hours (lot of hills) and ended up with 13K steps, 5.3 miles, and 52 stairways! So cool to watch the Fitbit dashboard on the website and see goals being met. Enjoy your 10K challenge.
  • judtod
    judtod Posts: 85
    Options
    I had made 10,000 steps a day my goal since joining MFP nearly a year and a half ago. Like others posting on this thread, I have a desk job, so for me to get to 10K would require an actual effort to go out and exercise. At first I was hitting the goal about half the time - there were too many days that I would blow off the daily walks.

In February of last year I read an article online that changed my entire attitude. Basically, it describes a technique that helps you focus on your daily commitment to your goals, and does so in a visible, tactile way. I've posted about this before, but it's really a great article.

http://lifehacker.com/5886128/how-seinfelds-productivity-secret-fixed-my-procrastination-problem

I kept my first streak going for nine days, and then ended up getting sidelined with the flu. But I picked it up again and kept the chain alive for nearly seven weeks. That streak was broken last Easter because I was traveling to visit my daughter and her family. I haven't missed a day since - and passed the one-year mark this past Monday.

If 10,000 steps is too many to work into your schedule at first, start by setting a more modest goal. Once that becomes comfortable for you, bump your goal up a notch and let yourself settle in to the new routine. Before long you'll be hitting 10K steps every day, and the idea of skipping a day won't even cross your mind. Good luck!

This is a great article! I am going to use it to get myself to finally clean my house.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    3,202,106 steps since I started using my fitbit.

Activity
    10232 steps taken today
    102% of goal of 10,000
    12 floors climbed today
    120% of goal of 10

You have climbed: The Tallest Snowman

4.07 miles traveled today
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!