The next time you think YOU have it bad.........

Options

Replies

• rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person that thinks the 'God is good' comments are insensitive? God wasn't that good to this poor woman in the grocery store. I appreciate the sentiment of the OP but not the 'whew at least it's not me'. Because that is what some of you are saying.

It kind of seems that way to me also. Did this woman fall out of grace with God or something?

No...God is no respecter of persons (like we people are, do and judge). This woman was/is struggling, just as we ALL struggle in one way or another. It has nothing to do with God's Goodness nor His Mercy...it has to do with her circumstances. Liken it to this....Ya know, years and years ago...when I was a child--medicine wasn't all sugary and yummy like many children's medicines are today--it was bitter, nasty and awful. Back when, a mere child may well have thought (as I did many a time) Wow, Mommy doesn't love me, she is making me take this medicine is it's so awful, it's horrible--mommy must hate me or I've fallen out of her grace because she is "allowing" me to suffer through this. Even though in my childish ignorance, I just didn't see "The Big Picture" I couldn't understand, because I was a child. Now that I am grown, I understand that it was her LOVE for me that allowed me to suffer. This is an extremely simplistic and base attempt to explain--but there you have it.
    Admittedly a rather "foolish" attempt at an explaination, but those with ears to hear...let them hear :flowerforyou:

:noway:
  • CheriLMT
    CheriLMT Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person that thinks the 'God is good' comments are insensitive? God wasn't that good to this poor woman in the grocery store. I appreciate the sentiment of the OP but not the 'whew at least it's not me'. Because that is what some of you are saying.

It kind of seems that way to me also. Did this woman fall out of grace with God or something?

No...God is no respecter of persons (like we people are, do and judge). This woman was/is struggling, just as we ALL struggle in one way or another. It has nothing to do with God's Goodness nor His Mercy...it has to do with her circumstances. Liken it to this....Ya know, years and years ago...when I was a child--medicine wasn't all sugary and yummy like many children's medicines are today--it was bitter, nasty and awful. Back when, a mere child may well have thought (as I did many a time) Wow, Mommy doesn't love me, she is making me take this medicine is it's so awful, it's horrible--mommy must hate me or I've fallen out of her grace because she is "allowing" me to suffer through this. Even though in my childish ignorance, I just didn't see "The Big Picture" I couldn't understand, because I was a child. Now that I am grown, I understand that it was her LOVE for me that allowed me to suffer. This is an extremely simplistic and base attempt to explain--but there you have it.
    Admittedly a rather "foolish" attempt at an explaination, but those with ears to hear...let them hear :flowerforyou:
    I like this explanation
    Thank you OP for sharing....
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I approve this thread.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Taking yucky tasting medicine is no comparison for the depth of suffering that exists. I would never ever say to a person that those things happened because of love.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Taking yucky tasting medicine is no comparison for the depth of suffering that exists. I would never ever say to a person that those things happened because of love.

Yes you are right, it's totally not.

Now, if this life that we live (you and I and everyone alive)...and what we "call or measure"that which we call "time", was ALL there is and/or that we had total and complete understanding of this, our "life" and life in general and that what we understand as "time", then the suffering we people ALL experience in this "life" and this "time" we could and do objective vehemently what "love" is...I mean REAL LOVE, God Himself is LOVE, so it understandable that one who doesn't know God or more important known of God, this would be utter non-sense. I would needs be have to be. However, when one dares to take the Faith (the literal definition of Faith is the "substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen), when one dares to by Faith, dare to humble oneself, pray, seek God's Face and Turn from y/our wicked/twisted ways...God Himself will give ANYONE, whosoever will, a portion of His Wisdom, Understanding, Faith and Grace to understand and more important to believe what real LOVE is. We people "think" we know what real love is, we think we know what real goodness is, we think we know what Life in this world we live in is...but we don't---again, we are blind to these things and "Revelation" comes from God and if/since we don't have a close and personal relationship with Him, we go by and believe what we see, hear and understand based on our own very limited (compared to God's) knowledge. So that is why you and the greater majority of folks don't see this as love--again, we simply don't have a clue what REAL/TRUE love is...our opinion of love is based on our experience and knowledge--that doesn't mean our limited experience and knowledge is complete, because dear one, it's not complete. Most won't believe this...but it's true none the less. I hope this kinda helps and if not...I understand :flowerforyou:
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options

They don't happen because of love. Many times they happen as a consequence of human choice be it theirs or someone else's. there are times that I let my kids suffer the conquinces of their own choices or the choices of the friends they choose to associate with. There are times that I discipline them for their choices and there are times that I reward or prais them for their choices. Each time I am doing it out of love wnd with their personal growth in mind. So I believe it is the same with God. Things may happen but I have faith that my personal growth is that God is focusing on not my personal comfort.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    It's ok, We all have our own journey. You have yours and I have been through mine. These concepts are not foreign to me at all. I've been through them and come out to different place. I respect your beliefs and your life path. There is no reason we all need to agree. Diversity is a nice thing about life. And one thing I do know for sure in my own life is that actual real love has been what has been most healing for me in my adulthood. I'm not going to go into all the scenarios in which the things you are saying do not apply because I don't want to bring up horrible images of suffering. But, I have no right to tell someone that suffering was for their own good when they were born into horrendous circumstances.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Not sure i get what god has to do with the lady being unable to easily afford her groceries.

Second.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

They don't happen because of love. Many times they happen as a consequence of human choice be it theirs or someone else's. there are times that I let my kids suffer the conquinces of their own choices or the choices of the friends they choose to associate with. There are times that I discipline them for their choices and there are times that I reward or prais them for their choices. Each time I am doing it out of love wnd with their personal growth in mind. So I believe it is the same with God. Things may happen but I have faith that my personal growth is that God is focusing on not my personal comfort.

I agree with this--and at the exact same time, there are those of us who suffer seemingly unjustly. There is wickedness and evil in this world and life, where untold numbers of seemingly innocent people suffer and live and die in the most unjust and horrendous ways. It is RARE that we as people provoke the name of satan or even ourselves as the cause for evil and suffering and woe. It is natural for people to invoke the name of God as a cause of misery and woe. Even insurance company call disasters and woe as "an act of God" NEVER is it an act o satan...isn't that profound. God is Love and His Ways are far above our ways. He allows suffering and woe to the just and the unjust. He allows His blessing upon the just and the unjust. God is truly not a respecter of persons. Our suffering happens because we are a fallen and lost people. Our only hope is in God--the very One so rejected and despised and misunderstood, because we don't know God. If we did, we would understand suffering and woe and love and time and faith in and of Him. We don't understand much like the ant doesn't understand people...we are of a different kingdom from God and can understand and know Him and be known of Him if we dare humble ourselves, pray, seek His Face and turn from our wicked/twisted ways...it's really that simple.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    It's ok, We all have our own journey. You have yours and I have been through mine. These concepts are not foreign to me at all. I've been through them and come out to another place. I respect your beliefs and your life path. There is no reason we all need to agree. diversity is a nice things about life. And one thing I do know for sure in my own life is that actual real love has been what has been most healing for me in my adulthood. I'm not going to go into all the scenarios in which the things you are saying do not apply because I don't want to bring up horrible images of suffering. But, I have no right to tell someone that suffering was for their own good when they were born into horrendous circumstances.

That is perfectly said. Our journeys are our own and we have no right to tell anyone that they have to see it our way.:drinker:
  • Lainny21
    Lainny21 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I need these kinds of reminders. It is soooo easy to forget what you have and be grateful for having it! Thank-you for sharing this. God is always there for me and is soo good! :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    It's ok, We all have our own journey. You have yours and I have been through mine. These concepts are not foreign to me at all. I've been through them and come out to another place. I respect your beliefs and your life path. There is no reason we all need to agree. diversity is a nice things about life. And one thing I do know for sure in my own life is that actual real love has been what has been most healing for me in my adulthood. I'm not going to go into all the scenarios in which the things you are saying do not apply because I don't want to bring up horrible images of suffering. But, I have no right to tell someone that suffering was for their own good when they were born into horrendous circumstances.

That is perfectly said. Our journeys are our own and we have no right to tell anyone that they have to see it our way.:drinker:

:flowerforyou:
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    'Kay, anyone else completely turned off by the wall-o-text preaching yet?

This isn't church, nor is it a place of atheists to spout their smug self-assurances. Let's all just get along and respect one another.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

This^^...This person gets it.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

I'm with you two.
    I'm here, too. This is as close to speechless as I will ever be.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My Atheist fiance once bought a bag of chips for a homeless man in the grocery store who was about to shoplift. Some god didn't do that. My fiance did, because he's a good person who didn't want to see a struggling man go to jail just for trying to feed himself.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    A well-needed reminder. Thank you for posting!
  • katellanova
    katellanova Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This god **** pisses me off. This story is the example of how and why I am unable to wrap my head around a god in the first place.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    There are more forces at work in the world than just God. Sometimes it's our own free will, wicked individuals, circumstances, environment, or just plain bad luck. If the world were perfect, what would we learn? Nothing. If God control everything, then what would be the point in living?

If an atheist believes they die and no longer exist I say fine...Stop existing. But what if you are wrong?
    What if I'm wrong? Well then, I won't be around after death to regret it!

What I don't understand is why people feel the need to bash someone's beliefs. The sheer amount of animosity isn't atheism. An atheist simply wouldn't care what others believe, because in the end it doesn't matter.

(And the same can be said for the religious ones that choose to be "right" over brushing the dust from their sandals and moving on.)

If you don't like the message of a thread, move on. It's that simple.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    My Atheist fiance once bought a bag of chips for a homeless man in the grocery store who was about to shoplift. Some god didn't do that. My fiance did, because he's a good person who didn't want to see a struggling man go to jail just for trying to feed himself.

Your fiance is awesome !
This discussion has been closed.