anyone else dislike healthy foods?

Options

Replies

• kevingarbs
    Options
    I don't tend to like very many fruits and vegetables. I do eat a few but not that many. I am trying to make baby steps pretty much. I am trying to just stay away from most fried foods for now and then later I will and another thing on my "do not eat" list. I know If i tack everything on there I won't be successful. this site is helping me out though because I am counting my calories and when I do make my mistakes, I finally realize how many calories I am consuming on my bad choices. Gets me motivated to not eat the same thing again.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    people who claim to hate veggies generally suffer from a palate that has adapted to the standard american diet. eventually, if you slowly increase your consumption of them, your tastes will change.

whether that's worth it to you depends on your priorities.

We didn't really have a lot of processed foods. My dad had a garden to stretch out the food budget, so most of our veggies were home-grown. Now, I'll go out and eat tomatoes off the vine until I get sick, (which is why i don't grow them), but most veggies I just never cared for. *shrugs* I'm a proten eater, always have been. If I have to eat meal after meal with stuff I don't like, I simply stop wanting to eat, period. So, I stick with the ones I do like, will try new ones, and eat a lot of meat. May not be the healthiest diet in the world, but my body gets what it needs and I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to eat.
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This is kind of interesting. I stay away from fried greasy food because it upsets my stomach. I don't miss it at all. So I never ate a lot of it. It also made my face oily. Definitely not desirable. Anyway, I went vegan three years ago and never looked back. I feel clean, clear and great! Not preaching here, just relating my experience.

If I were in your shoes I would look for recipes for healthy foods that taste good. So instead of eating something bland, you get the flavor you like. Some of my favorite sites to find recipes are:

The Post Punk Kitchen, www.theppk.com
    Melo Meals, http://www.melomeals.blogspot.com - I made her key lime pie last weekend and the family loved it.
    Vegetarian Times, http://www.vegetariantimes.com
    Thug Kitchen, http://thugkitchen.com - Badass fit attitude.

I experiment. If I like something I'll make it again. If not, lesson learned, no biggie.
  • FindingWillpower
    Options
    What about protein? Lean meats, eggs, non-fat dairy products yogurt or cottage cheese?

I am currently doing the Dukan diet (which is really restrictive at the beginning, you're only allowed to eat protein in the first few days but you're allowed to eat as much as you want as long as it's on the list of items.)

It also calls for oat bran, which I find really enjoyable and it FILLS you up! It expands in your stomach and makes you feel really full. I've made anything from pancakes to putting it in my yogurt and I really like it.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    What "healthy foods" do you not enjoy? Is it just vegetables and fruits - or just anything that isn't fast food, frozen, or greasy? If it's the latter, then there are plenty of ways to make meals healthier and delicious. I can relate to you about the chicken nuggets! I swear, before i started eating less frozen foods and eating cleaner, the majority of my diet was frozen chicken nuggets and chicken strips. I still eat a lot of chicken, but I make my own versions using spices and saute it in a pan and I love it and actually prefer that over fast food or frozen meals. I think if you made a little effort in looking up recipes and ways to cook healthier foods, you'd enjoy a healthier diet. Sometimes we just get so used to eating certain foods and it can be difficult to step away form them and try new things. c:
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't have this problem.

However, I do know that trying to live someone else's definition of healthy is miserable. What does healthy mean to you?
  • jordansh1961
    Options
    I use to, try eating one healthy food a day and add another healthy food each week. It will get better. Once a week I still have my chips or something thats not so healthy. Hang in there and keep up the good work.:smile:
  • Chassity1987
    Options
    Great post. I only peas and corn and only a few fruits. I'm allergic to citrus fruits.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    nuggets.gif

i would hardly call those chicken nuggeys
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I make the FAM healthy chicken tenders using egg whites ground raw almonds and Cayenne pepper. You need to learn to cook gummh substitutions... let go of preconceptions and try new things. It's likely saying "I just don't like healthy things" is because you are afraid to fail And funding thus reasons to not try
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I hate salad. It makes me gag, I honestly cannot eat it.
    And most vegatables. I'm getting better.
  • sarski77
    sarski77 Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm getting really annoyed with myself. I need to force down healthy foods sometimes. I would rather eat chicken fingers and french fries everyday. I feel like when I eat healthier foods I'm never full. When I eat the foods that I enjoy(fried, greasy) I feel satisfied longer (not emotionally)
    Im just getting really desparate. I want to be healthy and make better choices but I dont like anything so its hard. Does anyone else have this problem?

Can we please get away from the idea that healthy eating means steamed chicken and salad?!
    What exactly do you mean by healthy foods?

There are plenty of meal ideas that you can try - and surely this doesn't mean you need to force down things you really don't enjoy, you just need to get a little creative with it!
    However, you do need to understand that you need to find some kind of compromise - I'm not going to lie about it, if all you eat is fried and greasy food you won't get very far. It's about changing your habits, not just seeing the number on the scales go down for a couple of weeks....and then piling it all back on.

What if I told you my weekly plan includes pizza and curries? I make them from scratch and it makes all the difference.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand people who hate all vegetables categorically. Sorry, I just don't! There are tons of great tasting veggies and zillions of different ways of preparing and combining them.

I think the real problems are that people are incredibly lazy and have the underdeveloped palates of fussy toddlers.

The solution is to learn to cook for yourself and start trying all sorts of different foods, period. Some you might not like. Some will grow on you, and others you'll probably like straight away.

I think a lot of people grew up with parents who either didn't cook, or were terrible cooks. So the impression one has of certain foods is just wholly negative. My husband thought he hated rhubarb, for instance. Guess what? He doesn't. He just hates the way he had it prepared when he was a kid. Same for greens. He had greens that were boiled to death. Nobody likes that! But he loves greens when they're steamed or blanched, and especially sauteed with a bit of garlic and bacon.

Teach yourself how to cook, find some recipes that look tasty and not incredibly difficult, and start experimenting.
  • BoogeyBrat
    BoogeyBrat Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I used to loathe fruits and vegetables, but I found that trying variants on things helped immensely. I hated apples with every fiber of my being, until I tried Opals which are one of my new favorite snacks. I hate oranges, but I like tangelos. Celery is yuck, but sliced bell peppers are okay. I just try to find a substitute for whatever I don't like to get my fruits and vegetables in.

I have experienced the hunger issue, but the nice thing about it is I can always go eat another apple or whatever without causing too much of a dent in my allotted calories for the day. I have found that while it is less satisfying apetite-wise, healthier food makes it easier to break my eating into small frequent meals.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm getting really annoyed with myself. I need to force down healthy foods sometimes. I would rather eat chicken fingers and french fries everyday. I feel like when I eat healthier foods I'm never full. When I eat the foods that I enjoy(fried, greasy) I feel satisfied longer (not emotionally)
    Im just getting really desparate. I want to be healthy and make better choices but I dont like anything so its hard. Does anyone else have this problem?

Can we please get away from the idea that healthy eating means steamed chicken and salad?!
    What exactly do you mean by healthy foods?

There are plenty of meal ideas that you can try - and surely this doesn't mean you need to force down things you really don't enjoy, you just need to get a little creative with it!
    However, you do need to understand that you need to find some kind of compromise - I'm not going to lie about it, if all you eat is fried and greasy food you won't get very far. It's about changing your habits, not just seeing the number on the scales go down for a couple of weeks....and then piling it all back on.

What if I told you my weekly plan includes pizza and curries? I make them from scratch and it makes all the difference.

That's a good point--healthy food doesn't mean strictly eating salad and broiled chicken breast.

I have all sorts of tasty food--I do my own curries and my own version of pizza, too. Last night we had cheeseburgers and sweet potato fries for the guys. I make chilis, stews, spare ribs, stir fry, quiche, all sorts of stuff that doesn't "sound" healthy, but is great. I have eggs and bacon frequently, too.
  • ragingmrs
    ragingmrs Posts: 34
    Options
    It sounds like you suffer from the same issue my husband and I, to a smaller degree, suffer from. The fat calories stick with you longer. I would recommend more protein and more frequent, small snacks like apples or celery with peanut butter, or a small amount of almonds or other nuts. If you require the slower burning food and you are just eating carbs you will find yourself hungry, cranky and not able to stick with your diet. Do not be afraid to have small, maybe 100 calorie, snack packs in your purse or car for when you feel the crankies coming on. The key really is moderation and balance.

Find the balance that you require.

Anthoinette
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at the number of people who don't like vegetables - I love them and eat tons of them. Also, when I eat unhealthy food I feel horrible - which isn't to say I never eat healthy food but once in a while as opposed to all the time.
  • ragingmrs
    ragingmrs Posts: 34
    Options
    Im am exactly the same way..what healthy foods I do eat, Im getting tired of them. I try new stuff but I dont like it. Im trying hard to make this a life style change but the food is the hard part. I have always been picky..all my life.

Pickiness is one thing, but it sounds like you need to be inspired by your food. Be creative, adventurous and have fun. Go down the international isle at the market or go to a farmers market and see what peaks your interest. If you find a food that is not healthy, research how to make it and then make substitutions until it is healthy enough. Look at different recipes and think about what substitutions you can make.

If you want... try
    rice brown, red, black rice or quinoa instead.
    something breaded and fried buttermilk or egg to bind it then use quinoa flour for the breading and then bake it
    sausage ground meat and season it
    potatoes yukon golds, yams, root vegetables

I know this may sound like a lot of effort. Until you retrain your brain to think this way it may. I have cooked a number of themed feast and for many people with conflicting allergies and it does require creativity and vigilance. Once you get into the right frame of mind it should not be an arduous chore.

If you have a Trader Joe's in your area they make cheap, flavorful, healthy easy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    When people say they dislike "healthy" foods, I often find that their idea of "healthy" is very skewed and they often eliminate foods that are actually healthy and nutritious just because they have fat or in the case of fruit, sugar. Usually when people say this, it's because their idea of healthy is sucking on celery sticks all day long and eating nothing besides a lot of veg.

Find some veggies you like...prepare them how you like (FYI, they don't always have to be raw or steamed...I love roasting mine in olive oil or coconut oil). Grill some chicken instead of frying it...well seasoned chicken of the grill is fantastic. Instead of that nasty *kitten* fast food burger, get yourself some 90% lean ground beef (I actually prefer 85%, but it fits my macros) and grill your own, super awesome nutritious burger your way. Go get some cook books and get some recipes on line and prepare some homemade, nutritious meals from scratch ingredients. Healthy doesn't have to be boring and tasteless...it's all what you make of it. I eat very healthy, and I'm a total foodie...I don't go for bland or boring.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The only green vegetable I will eat is broccoli

I looove beef and broccoli!

Not cupcakes though, they are so slimily sweet. Good thing too, because they say you are what you eat.