Squats...what do you do if you don't have a rack or spotter?

Options
I'm just curious what others do when you don't have a squat rack or have a spotter available? I do all my exercise at home and I'm currently doing SL 5x5. We don't have a squat rack (I really want 1 but just don't have the space or $ for something like that) and my husband is only around in the evening to spot me but I would prefer to workout in the afternoon so I have my evening free to do other things (like going for a walk or roller blading when it gets nice enough out). Right now it's not a huge issue because I'm just starting out and the weights aren't super heavy but they will be and probably not before to long. Anyone have any solutions at all? We have an unfinished basement that is only framed right now and all of our weight equipment is down there. We have 1 framed wall that is angled where the "future" door would be going, could I attach hooks to the framing or something? I'm trying to brainstorm some sort of idea as to how I can make this work :(

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I just have a little rack, not a big safety rack. That works fine for me. It's adjustable and I use it to bench, too. It's similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/TDS-C-93132-W-Squat-Rack/dp/B001HS3KI8. You could probably get one for cheaper (I didn't do an extensive search to find a pic), and Craig's List or classifieds might have something for really cheap. Otherwise, how would you get the weight on your back, I can't lift the weight I can squat over my head at all.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious what others do when you don't have a squat rack or have a spotter available? I do all my exercise at home and I'm currently doing SL 5x5. We don't have a squat rack (I really want 1 but just don't have the space or $ for something like that) and my husband is only around in the evening to spot me but I would prefer to workout in the afternoon so I have my evening free to do other things (like going for a walk or roller blading when it gets nice enough out). Right now it's not a huge issue because I'm just starting out and the weights aren't super heavy but they will be and probably not before to long. Anyone have any solutions at all? We have an unfinished basement that is only framed right now and all of our weight equipment is down there. We have 1 framed wall that is angled where the "future" door would be going, could I attach hooks to the framing or something? I'm trying to brainstorm some sort of idea as to how I can make this work :(

I have just been through this as my hubby works away. I was stuck on 20 kg and had to do all 5 x 5 in one go without setting the bar down because I couldn't keep lifting it over my head to sit it on my shoulders. I tried the hooks to a frame I also just tried to lower it down onto to bench press stand but it really didn't work to well. I was so afraid of hurting myself. This last weekend I bought a new squat rack for $399 and today I did my squats with 30kg which wasn't too hard. If you can, to keep yourself safe and allow your lifts to progress get a squat rack.

tsr0123-250x250.jpg
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I gave up on SL 5 x 5 for this exact reason. I work out at a gym that doesn't have a squat rack.
    I did see somewhere on the net on how to attached home made racks - I'd google if I was you.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I also just tried to lower it down onto to bench press stand but it really didn't work to well.

Ya, That's what I've been doing. I sit on the bench though and then get my shoulders under the bar and then stand up and walk out do do the squats. I won't be able to do this for long though because as it get's heavier it's harder to lift at a good angle without hurting my back.
    If you can, to keep yourself safe and allow your lifts to progress get a squat rack

I was afraid this was going to be the answer. I could possibly do the $100 rack but can't afford the $400. I'm also not sure where I would put it. Our basement is pretty small..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I gave up on SL 5 x 5 for this exact reason. I work out at a gym that doesn't have a squat rack.
    I did see somewhere on the net on how to attached home made racks - I'd google if I was you.

shakes head...what kind of a gym does not have a squat rack..

OP - is joining a gym an option? I year ymca monthly rates are not that bad..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

OP - is joining a gym an option? I hear ymca monthly rates are not that bad..
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If your guy is handy you may be able to do something like this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=puDKWyrw9Ow

or this

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f13/building-my-own-squat-rack-pictures-776375/
  • fruitloop2
    Options
    Not really no (and I don't really care for gyms). I would have to go in the evenings if I did and that is the who;e point of my rack dilemma...I want to do my lifting in the afternoon so I can do other things in the evenings. I might have to just suck it up and buy 1 like the first reply showed if I can find 1 for a cheap price in canada :ohwell:
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    << I have same issue. No squat rack, no space. So I am squatting light and slowly progressing into heavy as I get stronger so I don't need a spotter. I also make sure the small animals are far far away in case my CHEAPO weights decide to take a nosedive off my bar.

Oh and I enjoy weightlifting without somebody else in the room watching me sweat, listening to me grunt away.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You can't do good squats without a rack so either joining a gym or spending a fortune would be best. There are some exercises that you can do with dumbbells as alternatives such as Bulgarian splits, step ups, lunges or whatnot, but all of these practice different muscles and are more like additional than main exercises. Squats and Deadlifts are essential IMO.
  • fruitloop2
    Options
    Ya, I don't want to give up lifting, I like it and I like lifting/exercising in private as well but might not have any other choice other than get a rack of some kind or join a gym. It sucks...I've gone a year without joining a gym and doing everything on my own :(
  • fruitloop2
    Options
    Question about squat stands...is a stand that is 1 piece better that the 2 piece stand system? I saw 2 piece stands but I don't know anything about squat stands so I have no idea if they would be any good.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options

Sorry what I meant is my gym only has a Smith machine - not a rack.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Goblet squats
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm in exactly the same boat - I do SL at home without a squat rack or spotter, no room or money to rectify and really don't want to join a gym. Right now I'm on 17.5 kg but should be upping to 20kg tomorrow, but lifting the bar over my head might just not happen at that weight (OHP is SO my weakest lift!)

A couple of possible options other than joining a gym/buying a rack - do hack squats (never tried them but basically instead of balancing the barbell on your back, you position it under your butt and keep your arms straight), or another of my pals wears a weighted vest. I may have to go down one of those routes if tomorrow's workout proves not-doable. If not, I am planning to buy a squat rack, but my hubby doesn't want me to until we move, as our flat is super cramped already and I'm already lifting sandwiched between the drying washing and the back of the sofa! I have to do push-ups instead of bench press for the same reason :ohwell:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You could do a front squat, where you balance the bar on your chest instead of back. You wouldn't be upping in weight as fast though, because it's harder to balance it on the front then it is on the back.

Or if hubby is useful at building things, have him build a squat rack. I know there are plans out there for building a squat rack.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I do everything at home alone and am worried one of these days I'm going to get pinned under my oly bar. I've been eyeing some squat supports on amazon but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I think it's inevitable though if this is what I want to continue doing.
  • elleryjones
    elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bumping to follow... I'm in the same boat...
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Goblet squats

^^^^This could be an alternative for a while. They are harder than traditional back squats, in my opinion, so you won't have to lift as heavy to get a good workout.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Not really no (and I don't really care for gyms). I would have to go in the evenings if I did and that is the who;e point of my rack dilemma...I want to do my lifting in the afternoon so I can do other things in the evenings. I might have to just suck it up and buy 1 like the first reply showed if I can find 1 for a cheap price in canada :ohwell:

Fellow Canadian here. This place has some good deals on squat racks/stands with very fast and reasonably priced shipping. Got mine in only 3 business days.

http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/c-8-power-racks-smith.html