Will squats make my thighs bigger?

Options
The answer is no...not really.
So many women want to know the secret to slimming out their thighs. It's an area women struggle with because we tend to store fat there, the stubborn kind that seems resistant to change. And yes, it is stubborn. Which is why it is all the more important to SQUAT, LUNGE, DEADLIFT, JUMP, and USE THOSE THIGHS to their advantage! Big muscle groups within the quads, hamstrings, and glutes that burn big calories! Muscle burns more calories at rest than does fat so we WANT to build muscle in our legs, or at least retain as much as we can while dieting.

Squats - in conjunction with a caloric deficit - will help your legs get smaller, more taut, less jiggly - what we alllll want. The people who say that squats made their legs bigger are special snowflakes OR they were eating too much and either gained muscle in the process or gained fat (depending on how much they were eating and what they were doing for exercise).

This picture below shows my legs at 185# on the left. I had already lost 35# but you can see they are very flabby and pocked and just not pleasing to look at. They rubbed against each other when walking, standing, what have you (and that ish hurts when they chafe!). At this point all I had done for exercise was walking and some jogging (while doing C25K). You can imagine how fatty and big they were when I was 220# several months earlier!

The picture on the right shows my legs currently, in progress. I'm 155# (about 25% bodyfat, trying to get to 18-20%). You'll notice they didn't get "bigger". They are more defined, leaner, and definitely wayyy more taut than before. My quads are pretty dominant and I can squat a hella lot of weight. These legs were built from lifting (no cardio) and a small calorie deficit (250-500 cals, toward the lower end on average though - I like to eat, a LOT). So - squats, deads, lunges, etc COMBINED with a caloric deficit = smaller thighs. As I continue to drop fat, they will continue to lean out and be even more defined and taut. I'm anxious for that but I suck at dieting.

picstitch3.jpg

So there ya have it - a little progress picture to show the ladies who are afraid to lift weights because their legs might get "bigger" that it's all about your diet when you are lifting. If you eat at maintenance or more, you may build some muscle and until you lose that fat your legs will look bigger. But if you eat within a deficit, your legs will respond and get smaller. It just takes time...because that fat is very stubborn. Happy Beautiful Thigh Thursday!

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    made mine a lot bigger
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    And also a lot sexier!!!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    made mine a lot bigger

Did you actually take measurements to verify this? Or did they appear bigger for the reasons the OP explained?

Love this OP! My legs are rocking thanks to squats. My muscles look bigger, but my legs are smaller. I know this because I've measured and I'm down another pant size since starting lifting (depsite not losing much weight).
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Mine have pretty much stayed the same. I was blessed with the gut and back flab gene. But because of squats, deadlifts, lunges and step ups (and thanks to running) you can see my muscles starting to define. Which I think is sexy, and which my husband thinks I am nuts because I point it out to him (because I have never had that before).
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder :happy:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I want hot legs like yours, Dizzle! Slowly but surely, I will get there!

I really love what lifting does to my entire body, but especially my lower half.

Must squat all the things, and eat the food! :drinker:

ETA: regarding legs getting bigger from squatting...mine have decreased in size, and YES I absolutely measure! I've lost about 4 inches from my thighs since July 2012.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Great progress! I agree, squats will only help to make your legs look sexier!!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Squats didn't make my thighs bigger. The dimensions didn't change much cuz my legs were never big per se, but they were pretty much fat. Now they're strong and muscular and I actually like' em. Which for me, is huge.

BTW, love you Dizz <3

Photoon12-10-04at856AM2_zps4656e610.jpg
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Great post! I believe this too. Lifting heavy is where its at! Toned skinny is much sexier than frail skinny! :)
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    love this :) reminds me of a conversation I had a work yesterday. A girl was complaining of all the "muscle" she gained on her thighs from running a mile everyday.
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't even use weight when I squat and I have noticed a huge difference. Much nicer, firmer, more defined musculature on my thighs! I use small weights when I squat and lunge doing 30 DS, so I am sure that is helping a great deal as well. I don't really care if they get smaller, as long as they get more toned, and jiggle less ;-)
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    love this :) reminds me of a conversation I had a work yesterday. A girl was complaining of all the "muscle" she gained on her thighs from running a mile everyday.

It is SO annoying when people complain about something fitness related and they have NO idea what they are talking about!!!!
  • Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Your legs look great!! Thanks for posting. Makes me want to go home and squat on the Smith tonight :flowerforyou:
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    <<< Squats and lunges have done wonders for my thighs. They are not bigger.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post and bloody true...I <3 you!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    :heart: this!!!!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    made mine a lot bigger

Did you actually take measurements to verify this? Or did they appear bigger for the reasons the OP explained?

Love this OP! My legs are rocking thanks to squats. My muscles look bigger, but my legs are smaller. I know this because I've measured and I'm down another pant size since starting lifting (depsite not losing much weight).

yup were 19.5in and now 20in
  • xMallie
    xMallie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thank god! A pro squats post! I do squats nearly every gym session and my legs have gotten smaller, harder, and sexier! I love what squats have done to my legs!
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    made mine a lot bigger

Special snowflake right here

Awesome post OP! You look great!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Love this, love lifting, love making my legs stronger, love squatting, and I can't wait to have strong bad@*kitten* legs!! :bigsmile: