Craving Mexican Food, Recipes Required!

Options
Hi!
I've got a real craving for some mexican food but not sure how to make a low calorie meal whilst still feeling like I'm getting what I'm craving.

I love anything spicy, so chili, fajitas, burritos, tacos etc are a big yey, just need some tips on how to keep things calorie friendly :) I usually eat around the 500 calorie mark for dinner.

Also, my boyfriend will be eating the same thing and he is certainly not big on chicken (this is what makes things difficult!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• Rotten_Apple
    Rotten_Apple Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    http://www.emilybites.com/2013/01/enchilada-cupcakes.html

I love her site, she has some really tasty recipes (the above calls for chicken but you could certainly sub lean ground beef)
  • Klkbankert
    Klkbankert Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do tacos with ground chicken breast and also fajitas fairly regularly. My family loves them. :) I also use the carb-friendly wraps instead of tortilla's - seem to be better calorie-wise.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    i make this mexican chicken chili stew stuff that's awesome and easy!

in a crockpot....
    1lb chicken breasts
    2 cans mexicorn
    1 can black beans
    1 jar salsa

cook until chicken is done and falls apart easily. shred the chicken and add it back to the rest. also add 1 block of cream cheese and a packet of taco seasoning. mix until creamy. you can eat it like chili, with tortilla chips, or (my personal favorite) put some in tortillas, roll up, put some shredded cheese on top and bake.

ETA: it makes a ton too! Lasts for days!
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Here for the recipes. :)
  • YellowNightingale
    YellowNightingale Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I do taco salads with lettuce, black beans, ground turkey, salsa, onions and shredded cheese. You can use plain greek yogurt for sour cream if you are into that and you can also make a quick guacamole!

p.s. I also make my own "taco seasoning" using cumin and sriracha!
  • WolowitzTimestwo
    WolowitzTimestwo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Green chili sauce enchiladas
    Use ground beef or turkey if bf doesn't like chicken, or go full veg. Zucchini works so does eggplant. What ever you like.
    Use chili verde sauce mixed with plain or Greek yogurt instead of regular red salsa in the recipe. Maaaan it's good!
    I will try and tell the recipe.
    Brown ground meat or turkey with onions and garlic
    If using chicken poach it in water with seasoning added
    If using veg., sauté them in little oil til crisp/ tender
    assemble the enchiladas next
    Put a layer of green chili sauce( I use a brand called Herdez but whatever you have in your local area)
    On the bottom if an 8x8 or any square casserole pan.
    Take a 6 inch tortilla and fill it with whatever filling you like. Add cheese if you want
    Roll it up and put seam side down in pan do this til pan is full.
    Pour the mixture if yogurt/ green chili sauce over the top.
    Not to much it will get soggy. Bake at 375 to 400 til edges of tortillas are crispy.
    Put a little more salsa/ yogurt mix on top and cheese if you want
    Put back in oven til cheese melts. Take out and enjoy!
  • tangipie
    tangipie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use the regular taco kit for my family using ground turkey or chicken. I make my own seasoning instead of using what comes in the box a little cumin,chili powder, garlic powder and paprika dont forget homemade salsa .. Oh I use lettuce instead of the shells that come in the box to cut the carbs
  • mindygeske
    mindygeske Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • NiKoCola
    NiKoCola Posts: 3
    Options
    Wow this sounds like dinner tonight. What is the calorie count on this one. If it is already in the MFP food database what do you call it.

Thanks,
    Nicole
  • gublercullen
    Options
    All of this sounds soooo good! Will definitely be trying the green chili sauce enchiladas, they sound ridiculously nice!
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Taco "pizzas" really hit the spot for me. I use the La Banderita low cal/low carb wraps that are 50 calories each. Use taco sauce, taco seasoned meat, onions and light cheese. Delicious, simple and fits both Mexican and pizza cravings!
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    probably not much help but my wife and I often sub black beans in place of ground beef for tacos, just cook them up like you would taco beef.

Some of the other options sound good too!
  • hannahsearle
    Options
    My family don't eat as clean or healthy as I do, so I have to alter Mexico Mondays a bit ;)....
    Mexico chicken- cubed chicken breast in passata with a little stock and (homemade) taco seasoning, some spring onions, and greek yogurt. My brothers use sour cream instead or greek yogurt, add cheese, and scoop it up with some corn chips, but it's one of my favorite meals without any of that!
    Tacos- minced beef with homemade taco seasoning, lots of veggies and salsa, I leave out the cheese and put mine in a lettuce leaf :)
    Chicken wraps is homemade crispy chicken seasoning (which isn't really crispy I suppose) with avocado, but I don't have mine in a wrap haha
    And you can make healthier nachos by cutting wholegrain mountain bread into triangles and baking them for a few minutes instead of corn chips, and dipping them into homemade salsa, guacamole and greek yogurt! Mmmm
    I do love my Mexican! Just ditch the chips (I doubt actual Mexicans use them anyway) make your own seasonings to cut down on the salt and leave out the cheese and sour cream and its all perfectly healthy!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    civeches, tamales, carne asada, pollo con arroz, do a nice mole and put it on top of chicken, posole, fish tacos, fresh salsa and tostadas, homemade whole wheat tortillas and make a nice burrito, spanish rice, more spanish but I love Paella, there are so many options.

I love latin food!
  • Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Any lean steak is great for fajitas...slice on a bias for the most tenderness. I caramelize a sliced onion, 2 shallots, a heap of garlic in olive oil, then add the steak (or chicken or shrimp or all of the above) until just cooked, then I add a sliced red pepper. Cook for another minute or two, then add about a cup of water, chili powder, red pepper, cumin, a dash of cinnamon, and cilantro (if you like it), and finish with lime juice. Skip the tortillas if you're watching carbs or to save calories. Serve with sliced tomatoes or salsa, avocado, black beans...whatever you like that gets you up to 500 cals.

Fish tacos are great for high protein and low fat. Firmer fish works best (I usually just use cod). Marinade in lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and whatever Mexican spices you like, then cook how you like (pan fry, bake, broil). I use white corn tortillas and serve with chopped cabbage tossed with lime juice, shallots, s&p, and garlic. Top with pico de gallo. Some people prefer a mango salsa to pico, but I dislike mango. To each their own.

I also make mushroom soft tacos the nights my hubby isn't home (he hates mushrooms). Saute some garlic, onion, and a chile pepper (I like poblanos) until onion is soft. Add sliced portobello mushrooms, cumin, and whatever herbs you like (cilantro again for me) until mushrooms are tender. Add a sliced tomato at the end, squeeze a lime over the top, season with s&p and serve in soft corn tortillas. Black beans will provide more protein, either in the taco or on the side.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    SKINNYTASTE.COM...recipes that use lighter ingredients and taste delicious. The creator has a whole section on Mexican food and other Latin delicacies.
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/lean_spicy_taco_meat.html

My fave taco meat for burritos, tacos, salads etc! I also sometimes take the extra thin corn tortillas and cut them into triangles, bake at 350 for 10-15 min to make my own chips. healthier than store bought and it satisfies my nacho craving.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I madea dip the other day that was ridiculous.

1 can fat free refried beans
    8 oz low fat (or fat free) sour cream
    8 oz low fat (or fat free) cream cheese
    2 cups reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
    jalapenos and rotel (if desired)
    baked tortilla chips (scoops is what i had)

Mix the sour cream and cream cheese in a bowl together until creamy. Once creamy add the can of refried beans. Mix well. Pour mixture into a small casserole dish (to where the mix is about half inch thick) then Add shredded cheese atop of that and bake on 350F for about 20-30 minutes.
    I put the rotel in a small bowl, the jalapenos on my plate and used them to my desire for each chip that i ate.
    I cant say this is the best 'healthier' mexican food for you but it was good if you are just looking to fix a craving or have a cheat day.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Fajitias are quick and easy. I usually slice up flank steak and chicken and mix the 2 for mine, with loads of peppers (usually red and green) and a large onion, a little fajitia mix and they are good to go. Add an avocado, some tomato, and a sprinkle of cheese... And you have awesome :laugh: