Will squats make my thighs bigger?

Options

Replies

• katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    agreed with the OP, except for the bit of body shaming of what she used to look like, even though they didn't look the way you wanted, you were stronger than you ever realized, till you started lifting.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Troll all you want, but bulky leggs will in fact look shorter.

I don't think you understand what "troll" means. Or bulky, for that matter.

Or "fact" lol
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    You da bomb Dizzy!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

I'm right there with the lady crush, between her and this girl...

Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet

Camille-Leblanc-Bazinet-19.jpg

Oh yeah, Camille! She's got great legs, too.... :smooched: :drinker:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you like. If you want to look strong as the OP does, then squats are ok, but if you're more into the lean long look, then avoid them and go running.

NO.

here are mine....Squat.

33110506_4848.jpg
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Troll all you want, but bulky leggs will in fact look shorter.

I don't think you understand what "troll" means. Or bulky, for that matter.

Or "fact" lol

hahahhahahaa
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Short legs will always look short regardless of muscle definition or "bulkiness". This is probably due to the fact that they're short legs. I'm no expert though.
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The answer is no...not really.
    So many women want to know the secret to slimming out their thighs. It's an area women struggle with because we tend to store fat there, the stubborn kind that seems resistant to change. And yes, it is stubborn. Which is why it is all the more important to SQUAT, LUNGE, DEADLIFT, JUMP, and USE THOSE THIGHS to their advantage! Big muscle groups within the quads, hamstrings, and glutes that burn big calories! Muscle burns more calories at rest than does fat so we WANT to build muscle in our legs, or at least retain as much as we can while dieting.

Squats - in conjunction with a caloric deficit - will help your legs get smaller, more taut, less jiggly - what we alllll want. The people who say that squats made their legs bigger are special snowflakes OR they were eating too much and either gained muscle in the process or gained fat (depending on how much they were eating and what they were doing for exercise).

This picture below shows my legs at 185# on the left. I had already lost 35# but you can see they are very flabby and pocked and just not pleasing to look at. They rubbed against each other when walking, standing, what have you (and that ish hurts when they chafe!). At this point all I had done for exercise was walking and some jogging (while doing C25K). You can imagine how fatty and big they were when I was 220# several months earlier!

The picture on the right shows my legs currently, in progress. I'm 155# (about 25% bodyfat, trying to get to 18-20%). You'll notice they didn't get "bigger". They are more defined, leaner, and definitely wayyy more taut than before. My quads are pretty dominant and I can squat a hella lot of weight. These legs were built from lifting (no cardio) and a small calorie deficit (250-500 cals, toward the lower end on average though - I like to eat, a LOT). So - squats, deads, lunges, etc COMBINED with a caloric deficit = smaller thighs. As I continue to drop fat, they will continue to lean out and be even more defined and taut. I'm anxious for that but I suck at dieting.

picstitch3.jpg

So there ya have it - a little progress picture to show the ladies who are afraid to lift weights because their legs might get "bigger" that it's all about your diet when you are lifting. If you eat at maintenance or more, you may build some muscle and until you lose that fat your legs will look bigger. But if you eat within a deficit, your legs will respond and get smaller. It just takes time...because that fat is very stubborn. Happy Beautiful Thigh Thursday!

I think your progress is awesome, and you legs look great. But, there are people that just don't want to have legs that look like that. Too each her own.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I gained an inch in thighs, but they look better and are a little less jiggly, so I assume it's muscle mass or swelling from working the legs. Not really complaining though.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Short legs will always look short regardless of muscle definition or "bulkiness". This is probably due to the fact that they're short legs. I'm no expert though.

there is far too much logic in this post
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    <<<<<< mine lol no where near how I want them but its a hell of a start... And thanks to this thread I've already done 80 squats this morning ..... (work killed my gym time this week cause soporate is in the building :grumble: )
  • SeeShelle3
    SeeShelle3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    OP: Interesting question. Some great responses. Thanks for the information and opinions. I mostly concentrate on cardio right now, but will begin to include the dreaded 'squats'. I hate them, but I guess they really do help to tone and strengthen.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

there is far too much logic in this post

MIND = BLOWN

:wink:

This is the forums, take your logic elsewhere!
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Great job, OP!!!! I like your legs.

And I'm with you...My thighs went from 28.25" to 23". I always ran away from weights, saying that if I lifted I'd bulk up. I was the quintessential cardio bunny--and I could never get my thighs down. Now, I squat, deadlift, lunge and the thighs, hips and butt are down. I'm 5'6". I used to be a size 16; now, I'm a size 6, pushing a 4 in pants (top is size 4).
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think your progress is awesome, and you legs look great. But, there are people that just don't want to have legs that look like that. Too each her own.

Thank you...but I think you are missing my point. These are my legs, in progress. No one's legs will be just like mine. I was trying to demonstrate, visually, that squatting heavy won't necessarily make one's legs get bigger. Unfortunately I'm not at goal yet and can't use a very powerful demonstration with more lean legs, but one day I will. I'm not implying anyone should want their legs to look like mine...in whatever way you are implying. Just showing that they got smaller with squats. That's all.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

Thank you...but I think you are missing my point. These are my legs, in progress. No one's legs will be just like mine. I was trying to demonstrate, visually, that squatting heavy won't necessarily make one's legs get bigger. Unfortunately I'm not at goal yet and can't use a very powerful demonstration with more lean legs, but one day I will. I'm not implying anyone should want their legs to look like mine...in whatever way you are implying. Just showing that they got smaller with squats. That's all.

I was going to say something like this.

Your legs are NOT her legs...mine are super long, and even though I WANT them to look more muscular, they dont really, just leaner and leaner since I have started squatting heavy.

IMGP5649_zps6b80aade.jpg
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Great job...your legs look great !!!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

Yes, but short muscular legs would be far more attractive than short jiggly ones in my opinion. I intend to work the hell out of my short little legs.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Good stuff.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Thanks for posting this!

However, I'm not loving all of the resistance we are seeing here around women lifting! So many myths out there about "long lean muscles" and how distance running will get you that look, and women getting bulky. I started heavier lifting in December. I've gained ~4 pounds, but dropped 2 sizes. Tell me that replacing my fat with leaner muscle doesn't make me look better.
    Plus I'm able to eat more, live saner, and enjoy my workouts.