Peanutbutter

Options

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh it, no. But I usually don't eat any other nuts.
    I tried calorie counting but I didn't know if 1600 that I'd set were the right amount of calories for me, so I went back to eating whenever I'm hungry.
    There's your problem. Eating whenever you're hungry is going to have vastly different results depending on what foods you're eating. Eating broccoli to the point of satiety will not have the same effect of eating peanut butter to the point of satiety.

The only way of knowing if 1600 is the right amount of calories for you is to eat 1600, log everything, and see over time if you gain weight, lose weigh or stay the same.
  • viky1235
    viky1235 Posts: 9
    Options
    I use the tablespoon to measure my PB. It's probably the total daily fat intake you're consuming. Are you logging all cooking oils, too? Log EVERYTHING. It all adds up really fast.

Yes, I use the tablespoon as well. I usually have 2 tbsp in the morning with my oatmeal and another one or two in the afternoon.
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I just came in here because I love peanut butter...
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m323mxwPl11rtsubio1_500.gif
  • CindaWhite
    CindaWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I accidentally discovered a product called PB2. It is a powdered form of peanut butter with 85% less FAT calories than regular peanut butter. It is rich in flavor and I have not missed the original form of PB since. Hope this helps.:smile:
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I tried calorie counting but I didn't know if 1600 that I'd set were the right amount of calories for me, so I went back to eating whenever I'm hungry.

This is the problem.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. So I've been eating healthy and working out for almost a month now, but I weighed myself today and I had gained 1,5kg.. And the only thing I can think to blame is peanutbutter, because maybe I've been eating too much(about 1 jar per 5 days). What is a good daily amount to consume?

1 jar in 5 days? Have you read the serving size on the side of the jar? Start there.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    you're eating too many calories for what you want to do. It's not just the peanut butter

Example: My current jar of peanut butter (Peter Pan) has 28 2 tablespoon servings at 210 calories per serving

28 x 210 = 5,880 calories

over 5 days it averages 1,176 calories from PB alone. Is that too many for you?

I swap in PB2 sometimes. It's like Peanut butter but not. 45 calories per 2 tablespoon - add water to desired consistency.

Glad somebody finally did the math. I eat a ton of peanut butter, sometimes 400 calories a day comes from just peanut butter for me. And it still takes me 2-3 weeks to finish the jar. If you're finishing it in 5 days you're eating too much.
  • Jenny775
    Jenny775 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

This is the problem.

^^^ Agree!
  • viky1235
    Options
    Yes, well, my bmr is 1392 and I read that 200 calories more than my bmr is a good amount to eat. But when I was logging my workouts I would always end up eating less. And so I thought that it can't be right/accurate. And that's why I stopped.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Okay, let's start with the nutrition and ingredients info for a 17.3 oz. (490 g) jar of Jif creamy peanut butter from http://www.jif.com/products/details?categoryid=66

We'll start with the ingredients list:
    1. Roasted peanuts, which are naturally high in FAT -- somewhere between 50% and 85% fat depending on how they are processed.
    2. Hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is FAT -- BAD fat because hydrogenation turns unsaturated fat into saturated fat.
    3. Mono- and di-glycerides. which are also FAT and are used as emulsifying agents to prevent the other fat from separating out.
    4. Molasses, which is sugar.
    5. Sugar
    6. Salt.

A 31 gram serving is 190 calories so our jar of Jif is approximately 3003 calories. Divide that by 5 and you have 600 calories a day in peanut butter.

How much peanut butter is a good amount to consume depends on how many calories of fat (and sugar) you want to consume to have a healthy mix in your diet.
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I must be the only American who doesn't like peanut butter. I feel left out lol.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    1 whole jar of peanut butter in 5 days.....Wow.......!!!!

Imagine if you tested yourself, and went two weeks WITHOUT any peanut butter, and got your protein say from eggs/other sources.........I would be surprised if your not down on the scales!!

Try it .... : )
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I accidentally discovered a product called PB2. It is a powdered form of peanut butter with 85% less FAT calories than regular peanut butter. It is rich in flavor and I have not missed the original form of PB since. Hope this helps.:smile:

Ilovepeanutbutter.com >>>>>>>>>PB2 any day

PB2 is the shiz...
  • celinarae94
    celinarae94 Posts: 131
    Options
    tumblr_m323mxwPl11rtsubio1_500.gif

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY WITH A BASEBALL BAT!!!

No but I just came in here 'cause I love peanut butter too... whether I allow myself to eat it or not... I frecking love the stuff. So much. :love:
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Okay, seriously, I'm going there the next time I go to NYC. THANK YOU.
  • xMallie
    xMallie Posts: 208 Member
    Options

PB2 is the shiz...

The only thing i like just as much as REAL pb is Almond butter.
    I would sit there with an entire jar and eat it if I wasn't worried about gaining weight.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Try Bell Plantation PB2 powdered peanut butter (my grocery sells it in the same aisle as the peanut butter). It tastes like the real thing but has WAY less fat and calories. O

LIES. It doesn't taste even remotely like the real thing, unless you're used to peanut dust mixed with water.
  • viky1235
    Options
    Okay, let's start with the nutrition and ingredients info for a 17.3 oz. (490 g) jar of Jif creamy peanut butter from http://www.jif.com/products/details?categoryid=66

We'll start with the ingredients list:
    1. Roasted peanuts, which are naturally high in FAT -- somewhere between 50% and 85% fat depending on how they are processed.
    2. Hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is FAT -- BAD fat because hydrogenation turns unsaturated fat into saturated fat.
    3. Mono- and di-glycerides. which are also FAT and are used as emulsifying agents to prevent the other fat from separating out.
    4. Molasses, which is sugar.
    5. Sugar
    6. Salt.

A 31 gram serving is 190 calories so our jar of Jif is approximately 3003 calories. Divide that by 5 and you have 600 calories a day in peanut butter.

How much peanut butter is a good amount to consume depends on how many calories of fat (and sugar) you want to consume to have a healthy mix in your diet.

I buy a brand named "Calve", this and sun-pat are the only ones we have here, and it's 350gr/jar.