Will squats make my thighs bigger?

Options

Replies

• rnprincess
    rnprincess Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. My thighs have definitely gotten smaller as I am down 76 pounds, but they are flabby. I need to work on toning. Currently aside from cardio I am only using the hip adductor/abductor machine for thighs, and some squats. My knees are very arthritic, I am 49 years old, and still about 60 pounds overweight. I have trouble with some machines, although I can do the leg press which I started doing while in physical therapy after a meniscus repair. But just a few questions, what are the 'deadlifts' and jumps you referenced? And anything you can think of to help with the issues I mentioned above with my knees? Thanks again!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Dizzle babe, your legs are what encouraged me to join a gym and pick up some weights.

I've given up on my persuit of trying to run longer distances. Weights and bits of cardio. If I want to run, I am going faster for shorter distance (oh and I do walk miles but that is training for a charity challenge).
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    OP your legs are AMAZING. And looking at where you're coming from to now means there is hope for my legs after all. Let the squatting continue!
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    OP, be my frieeend! Same goes for every other woman on this thread who loves to squat!

I think my profile pic tells you what I think of them. <3
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Did someone say legs?

wzD7YuM.png

I'm more of a calf girl, myself, but my thighs are coming along.

I think your progress is awesome, and you legs look great. But, there are people that just don't want to have legs that look like that. Too each her own.

So, I think others have already addressed this, but I don't think OP was saying everyone should want HER legs. They won't be able to get HER legs, anyways. They're HERS.

I think the point is, that you have to accept your general body-type, and make it the best YOU can.

Dizz: You rock. :heart:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't think a lot of people understand that the shape of your muscles is determined by genetics, not by the type of exercise you do. Running doesn't give you "long, lean" muscles, and squatting doesn't give you "short, bulky" muscles. I have legs that look a lot like the OP's, and I have ALWAYS had them. Even when I was a little kid, I had muscular legs, and I certainly wasn't squatting with a bar on my shoulders back then. Now, when I was 100 lbs overweight, there was a lot of fat covering up my muscular thighs, but the muscle is shorter and therefore appears thicker because I am only 5'0 tall, and I have shorter-than-average femurs. It's not because I lift weights. If I were a foot taller and had 20-inch femurs, the muscle would look a lot longer and thinner.

The size of your muscles is determined MOSTLY by your diet. A woman can add a minimal amount of muscle through heavy strength training, but gaining any significant amount of mass (for a female) requires LOTS of calories, hypertrophic training patterns, and steroids (or a freakish hormonal imbalance). Most MEN do not have enough testosterone to gain the kind of mass that women think they will gain if they pick up anything heavier than 10 lbs, so as a woman, you certainly do not have enough.

If you eat at a deficit and lift progressively heavier weights, your entire body is going to get smaller and harder and a hell of a lot hotter. You were born with your muscle structure. It is what it is. You can either make the best of it by stripping off the fat and showing it off, or you can keep your muscles covered with a layer (or two) of fat and pretend that they somehow look better than they would if you picked up something heavy every once in a while.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    squats will make you AWESOME !!!!!! Everybody, ..... just do it......
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your story and the comparison photos--a good reminder to me to be consistent with my strength training and not just running (as much as I love running, I want your "after" leg photo! :)
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    this is awesome, thanks :)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I don't think a lot of people understand that the shape of your muscles is determined by genetics, not by the type of exercise you do. Running doesn't give you "long, lean" muscles, and squatting doesn't give you "short, bulky" muscles. I have legs that look a lot like the OP's, and I have ALWAYS had them. Even when I was a little kid, I had muscular legs, and I certainly wasn't squatting with a bar on my shoulders back then. Now, when I was 100 lbs overweight, there was a lot of fat covering up my muscular thighs, but the muscle is shorter and therefore appears thicker because I am only 5'0 tall, and I have shorter-than-average femurs. It's not because I lift weights. If I were a foot taller and had 20-inch femurs, the muscle would look a lot longer and thinner.

The size of your muscles is determined MOSTLY by your diet. A woman can add a minimal amount of muscle through heavy strength training, but gaining any significant amount of mass (for a female) requires LOTS of calories, hypertrophic training patterns, and steroids (or a freakish hormonal imbalance). Most MEN do not have enough testosterone to gain the kind of mass that women think they will gain if they pick up anything heavier than 10 lbs, so as a woman, you certainly do not have enough.

If you eat at a deficit and lift progressively heavier weights, your entire body is going to get smaller and harder and a hell of a lot hotter. You were born with your muscle structure. It is what it is. You can either make the best of it by stripping off the fat and showing it off, or you can keep your muscles covered with a layer (or two) of fat and pretend that they somehow look better than they would if you picked up something heavy every once in a while.

^^^This
    NastyMuscle.jpg
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    don't forget the good it does for the booty!
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    AWESOME!!! Looking so good. Thanks for the tip!
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,633 Member
    Options
    made mine a lot bigger

Did you actually take measurements to verify this? Or did they appear bigger for the reasons the OP explained?

Love this OP! My legs are rocking thanks to squats. My muscles look bigger, but my legs are smaller. I know this because I've measured and I'm down another pant size since starting lifting (depsite not losing much weight).

yup were 19.5in and now 20in
    Lol, if 0.5 inches is A LOT bigger?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Before squats:
    20127619_6124.jpg

After squats:
    20127619_7863.jpg

Actually, there's not much difference in my thighs in those pictures. But they are a half inch smaller according to my chart (but yes, a half inch is totally within the error of measurement so the are most likely the same.).
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

ME TOO!!!
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for almost a year, and I like looking and feeling strong. However, it's ridiculous to say that people that don't want my type of muscle definition are stupid or misinformed. Some people (women in particular) would rather be and look a little soft, even if that means they have a little more wiggle in their walk. As long as they're healthy, why do you care? You don't want to look like them, and they don't want to look like you. The end.
  • DanceFittDiva
    DanceFittDiva Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I want my legs to look like that! How long did it take you to get from pic 1 to pic 2. I know you mentioned doing squats, lunges, etc to get there, but would you mind sharing your specific workout routine? Thanks!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I'm 4ft 11 - my legs are very sore today after last nights squats.

Wish I knew that running made legs longer, I could have hit 5ft if only I'd kept up my running.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the legs in this thread!! I would MUCH RATHER have thighs a little bit bigger but firmer. I am a firm believer in lifting heavy, I've seen the results.

In my case, my genetics gave me flabby thighs. My mom has them, my sister has them, her mother before her, etc..

As someone else said, mostly it is diet - but diet can't reshape your body like lifting can - it has to be used in conjunction with a good lifting plan. When I was eating like a bird and weighed nothing I was just a flabby mess.

I was 103-105 pounds here and HATED my legs. Even though I was a skinny minny, my legs were still flabby. All I did back then were some light weights (DVDs) and the elliptical trainer, and my diet was low calorie/1000-1200 daily. See pic below. My legs were small by measurements, 19 inches at biggest part of thigh. And by the way, this was 7 years ago.

oldlegs.jpg

Now, I hardly do any cardio, only a couple sessions of HIIT per week, I lift heavy 3x a week, squats, deadlifts, you name it. Very little cellulite, and I eat WAY more. I weigh 6-7 pounds more, wear the same size clothing, and my measurements are 19.5 inches now. And now I wear short dresses, shorts, etc and I'm confident in them! I wish I could go back to the old me and tell me to lift weights! I spent years being dissatisfied. I wasted all of my 20's and early 30's away! :sad:

legs.jpg