staying in 1200 cals who else finds this difficult?

Options

Replies

• shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Im currently finding it difficult to REACH 1200 cals!

How did you get to the point that you need to lose 31lbs then?

Easy foods that are satiating and have a decent nutrient content and cal dense are milk, nut butters, yogurt with fruit, whole nuts, avocados if you truly are struggling to eat 1200 calories.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    Im currently finding it difficult to REACH 1200 cals!

How did you get to the point that you need to lose 31lbs then?

Easy foods that are satiating and have a decent nutrient content and cal dense are milk, nut butters, yogurt with fruit, whole nuts, avocados if you truly are struggling to eat 1200 calories.

People don't just gain weight because they pig out all day long. They can also gain weight because they are not eating enough throughout the day. Im kinda new at counting calories (just started this week ) but thanks for the info on how I can up it some.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stick to 1200 every day either! Your not being a baby!
  • KrisRei
    KrisRei Posts: 6
    Options
    I stay at 1200 and I dont find it difficult anymore. I admit I did at the start.

It depends what you eat. Lots of fruit, veg and salads for a starter. A bit of meat... not a lot. No added oil, sugar, salad dressings etc. Instead of salad dressings I will have beetroot with a small steak or chicken breast and lots of salad.

Black coffee and lots and lots of water.

You become very aware of wasting calories.

I started at 242lbs and am now down to 179lbs. I walk 5 miles a day (takes about 90 minutes all up and can be incorporated into your normal day as long as you use a pedometer). I run every second day.

Same here :) I find meat takes up a lot of those calories so meat is a splurge thing for me!
  • meltedkeys
    meltedkeys Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I DO 1300 AND I WEIGH 235, SO IT'S HARD. WHAT WORKS FOR ME IS EATING MOST OF MY CALORIES DURING THE MORNING WITH A DESSERT (COOKIES, CAKE, ETC) THAT WAY I DON'T FEEL LIKE I'M MISSING OUT ON STUFF. REMEMBER. WHEN YOU WORK OUT YOU CAN EAT MORE!! :) I'VE LOST WEIGHT EVEN WITH MY HYPOTHYROIDISM. SO YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • beccygibsonk
    beccygibsonk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i wAs the same with the 1200 cals just didnt feel it was enough so i upped my activity level so im now on 1400 and this has made a big diffrence to my daily success rate. Admitedly im over my limit still quite a lot coz im a greedy piglet however im still losing every week (except one). now iv increased my intake im a lot more motivated to stay within my allowance. Im around same weight as you.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I DO 1300 AND I WEIGH 235, SO IT'S HARD. WHAT WORKS FOR ME IS EATING MOST OF MY CALORIES DURING THE MORNING WITH A DESSERT (COOKIES, CAKE, ETC) THAT WAY I DON'T FEEL LIKE I'M MISSING OUT ON STUFF. REMEMBER. WHEN YOU WORK OUT YOU CAN EAT MORE!! :) I'VE LOST WEIGHT EVEN WITH MY HYPOTHYROIDISM. SO YOU CAN DO IT!!

You should not post in all caps. It's the equivalent of shouting and considered rude.
  • Jliermann
    Jliermann Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day im like "FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD" and it is rather hard to tell my self no!!!

you are not alone!
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    Haven't looked at the other replies yet, but girl, for real, 1200 is so freaking hard! I tried that for my first month on here & I always went over! Then again, I was still trying to readjust my food habits, because I ate TERRIBLY.

But I recently upped my calories to 1400 & it's much more managable. April is my 2nd full month on MFP and now, I am dropping weight a lot easier!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Up your calories.......................1200............That's nothing!!!!!!!!!!
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I did in the beginning but not lately. I do always eat back my exercise calories though.

Try to get lots of protein throughout the day, but I always start with healthy carbs. I also work in customer service, I find a booster juice is the right balance to get me to lunch.

Also I have a healthy green tea addiction which is nice when you are on the phone all day, and does have some benefits other than making sure you don't lose your voice.

Feel free to add me and snoop my diary if you like :D
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I tried to stick to 1200. There were days I could do it but it was TOUGH! I fasted one day and the next day it was easier. However, with working out and the longer I stuck to the 1200 the more I got cranky. My body was MAD! I was getting frustrated and wanted to give up. I started listening to the people on here and guess what - my TDEE is 1929!!! Which means that I get to eat a lot more than 1200 calories - in fact, I SHOULD eat a LOT more than 1200 calories. I custom set myself to 1500 to defecit (I want to lose, not maintain) and don't eat back exercise calories because that 1929 factors it in. I also changed the numbers to 40/30/30 and removed sugar because of the fruit I eat.
    I feel like I have a new lease on life! I am encouraged and know that I can do this, after all! LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!!!
  • melyssescott
    Options
    Hi,

I just wanted to say i understand what you are going through. I just joined and I keep going over my calories; i keep trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. :(
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Pardyqueenxoxo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day im like "FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD" and it is rather hard to tell my self no!!!

you are not alone!

Hahaha! I know,

I'm ravenous when I get home x x x
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Options
    Hi,

I just wanted to say i understand what you are going through. I just joined and I keep going over my calories; i keep trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. :(

Yeah I joined a week ago, I used to be good at diets but it makes it harder being at my desk 10hrs a day. Bordem eating!
  • KikiD22
    KikiD22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Okay, two things... I agree, 1200, for most people, is very low. I'm at that number now but I'm two weeks out from a figure (bodybuilding) competition. However, for general weight loss, that is too aggressive for most people. I only stay at that number for brief periods of time in conpetition prep.

However, take a peek at my diary and see how much food I eat on a daily basis. I entered all my food for today. It's under 1200 calories, but a lot of food. I don't feel deprived. I looked at the last few days of your diary, and if you added more whole foods and cut out some of the processed stuff, I don't think you would feel as hungry at that number of calories.
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Options
    Brilliant advice. thank you x x
  • SeeShelle3
    SeeShelle3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the posters. I started at 1200 cals (weighed 172 I think) and wasn't losing a thing. I was working out an hour day x 6 days a week. I upped my cals. to 1300 and started seeing results. There's a bunch of formulas to see what your sedintary caloric intake should be and then that should be increased by how much you are working out. I think everytime you hit a plateau, your calories and exercise should be tweaked to find out what works for your own body. 1200 is just a starting point to see where you need to go from there. Maybe increase by 100/200 calories and see what that does? You should not be starving or depriving yourself of good food. It will only backfire. Good luck.
  • SeeShelle3
    SeeShelle3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I tried to stick to 1200. There were days I could do it but it was TOUGH! I fasted one day and the next day it was easier. However, with working out and the longer I stuck to the 1200 the more I got cranky. My body was MAD! I was getting frustrated and wanted to give up. I started listening to the people on here and guess what - my TDEE is 1929!!! Which means that I get to eat a lot more than 1200 calories - in fact, I SHOULD eat a LOT more than 1200 calories. I custom set myself to 1500 to defecit (I want to lose, not maintain) and don't eat back exercise calories because that 1929 factors it in. I also changed the numbers to 40/30/30 and removed sugar because of the fruit I eat.
    I feel like I have a new lease on life! I am encouraged and know that I can do this, after all! LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!!!

Great advice!
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Options
    Up your calories.......................1200............That's nothing!!!!!!!!!!

I think anyone whos advising this troll to up her calories is wasting their time.

She's clearly ignorant and stubborn.

Those 2 traits in one person are clues to leave them be.

I've reported you. thanks.

I'm clearly asking for advice as i'm new to myfitnesspal and with it being a big decrease in calories for me im finding it difficult to drop - ive been guided to eat 1200 cals and I will be eating 1450 from now on.

SO LEAVE ME ALONE!!! YOUR THE BULLY ON HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!