Craving Mexican Food, Recipes Required!

Options

Replies

• 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    bump since I think my friend and I were Mexican in another life... I could eat Mexican every day!
  • LyndaTay
    LyndaTay Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    We have taco's once a week. I like the mini street size tortillas (only 20 calories each) My husband does steak, my daughter chicken and myself, I prefer fish. We throw them all on the grill with lime, cumin, garlic, chili seasoning etc. Stuff them with cabbage, onions, cilantro, avocado..any and all veggies go well. Serve with a side of black or pinto beans. =)
  • strickland8052
    strickland8052 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Oh man! There is so much you could do.... Since he doesn't eat chicken, what about fish or shrimp? I made some great chicken fajitas last night, that I am sure would be equally as good with shrimp. Marinade the shrimp in 1 packet of fajita seasoning, a little bit of lime juice, a little bit of worcheshier (sp?) sauce, and some olive oil. Cook on a the grill or George forman (or sauté). Then afterwards, add some peppers, onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Eat in a salad or on a whole wheat tortilla with some lettuce, salsa, low fat cheese, and plain greek yogurt (tastes just like sour cream) or avocado. Not sure on the calories, but shouldn't be over 500, if you eat one or two.
  • babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I made this today as my main meal of the day. I am in the UK and following the Weight Watchers Propoints system and it was ridiculously tasty and filling for 11 points. I supposed it was kind of based on chimichangas. The cheese sauce mix I used was just a powder that you add water to.

******************************************************************************************************************************************
    Ingredients (Serves 2)
    4x Tortilla Wraps
    150g Quorn Mince
    2x cans of chopped tomatoes
    2x small onions chopped
    2x medium carrots grated
    ½ packet of ASDA Chosen by You Instant Cheese Sauce Mix
    40g grated reduced fat cheese
    Spring Onions for Garnish (can use sliced chillies for extra heat)

Spices for Chilli: garlic, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika, oregano (you could also use an Old El Paso Chilli Seasoning Mix if you don’t have the spices or don’t want to do it yourself)

Instructions
    Put the Mince, tomatoes, carrot, onions and spices in the slow cooker on a low heat and cook for 8 hours or overnight. (Could also just make this in a pot on the hob)
    Once cooked drain off any excess liquid so that the chilli isn’t too wet.

In a casserole dish fill each tortilla wrap with chilli and fold into a square.
    Make up the cheese sauce mix with boiling water to a pouring consistency but not too wet and pour over the top of the tortillas. Top with sliced spring onions or chillies and then sprinkle the grated cheese over the top.

Put in the oven at 200 for 15/20 mins until the cheese has browned.

Serve with side salad

(You could also make this with lean steak mince or strips of chicken breast and add peppers and adjust the points accordingly)
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    Green chili sauce enchiladas
    Use chili verde sauce mixed with plain or Greek yogurt instead of regular red salsa in the recipe. Maaaan it's good!

I bet it is good! Mixing salsa verde with Greek yogurt sounds like a great idea!

OP, mixing salsa verde with avacado makes a really tasty quacamole.
  • luticiaf
    luticiaf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Pico!!

I make this at least once a week, and now that I got myself a hand pumped food processor, it's made a lot quicker. Otherwise just dice:

1/8 red onion
    1/4 english cucumber
    1/2 jalapeno
    1-2 tomatoes
    1/2 - 1 avocado
    2 cloves garlic
    1/2 pepper
    Handful of Cilantro
    squeeze in 1/2 - 1 lime
    grind some sea salt over it and mix

let meld for an hour or two

Delish, so fresh, fragrant, great for metabolism, and makes you feel like you're in mexico!! Serve with nachos

Add more or less of any veg, depending on what you like!
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tbrooke2000
    tbrooke2000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I make chili with turkey burger and low sodium everything... my son and husband thinks it tastes better than the original. :-) Good luck!
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I use a low-sodium taco seasoning. Hytop make one and sells it at winco. Then I use 99/1 ground turkey breast. To the taco meat I add a can of red kidney beans minus the juice, (black beans are great too) chopped onions and bell peppers. For a little kick I like a little siracha too. Fill a bowl with whatever lettuce you like rough chopped. I love romaine and red leaf. I heat up some lowfat black refried beans in the microwave. Then top my salad with a 1/4 cup black refrieds, about a half a cup the taco mix, Some fresh chopped tomato, avocado. I use tofuttis sour cream, 1 TBS and for a little crunch and flavor I will crumble up either taco tortilla or dorito chips. I like light ranch dressing, but with everything you don't really need dressing.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    http://www.ivillage.com/individual-pinto-and-black-bean-tamale-pies/3-r-437104

These were AWESOME! And meatless for the vegans and such.
  • jademoon1981
    Options
    I dont know the calorie count but this is delicious and easy.

Mexican arrachera:

Marinade for at least 6 hours.
    1 lb. Thin tenderized Skirt Steak
    5 packets of GOYA Sazón with Coriander and Annatto
    1 Carona beer
    1/2 of a limes juice.

Grill steak and cut into pieces. Serve like tacos. I prefer the soft corn shells topped with Pico.
  • ayyoitsnikki
    Options
    bump
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Chilles Rellenos recipe from Muscle and Fitness Hers magazine. I google it every time I need it!
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I was being lazy. Here's a link!

http://www.muscleandfitnesshers.com/recipes/chile-rellenos
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Halibut Fajitas
    Halibut
    Fajita Seasoning
    Sliced Onion
    Sliced Bell Pepper
    Minced garlic

Corn Tortillas

Sour cream
    salsa/hot suace
  • strawberriekt24
    strawberriekt24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Chicken tacos w charred tomatoes... so SO good!!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chicken_tacos_with_charred_tomatoes.html
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Try looking up rick bayless recipes. Many of them are lower in calories because they use a lot of veggies and spices as flavoring. You can always sub in lean protein if he uses something like chicken thights.
  • Biffybeans1
    Biffybeans1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I live on the Gulf Coast, so fresh shrimp are plentiful and reasonably priced. However, you can substitute any other kind of meat or fish for the shrimp.

Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa Verde
    Serves 4 (2 tacos per person)
    1 Tumaro’s WW Tortilla with 2-3 shrimp + 1 T. avocado salsa verde = 130 calories**
    ** (add more calories if using fat free refried beans)

1.2 lbs. 20-ct. raw shrimp with shells
    8 corn or small low carb whole wheat tortillas

Make avocado salsa verde and chill in refrigerator. Bring lg. pot of salted water to boil. Add unpeeled raw shrimp to boiling water, cover and immediately remove from heat. Let stand 2 min. or until shrimp is cooked through. Drain and peel shrimp. If desired, heat 1 can fat free refried beans. Assemble tacos: heat tortillas in microwave, place some refried beans on tortilla, top with 1T. salsa verde, and then add 2-3 shrimp. It’s best to first cut shrimp into bite-size pieces.

Avocado Salsa Verde:
    1 small onion, qtr. 1/8c., or to taste, pickled jalapeno (or fresh jalapeno, chopped)
    1 garlic clove, minced 18 oz. (approx. 12) tomatillos
    3 Hass avocadoes 1 teas. Kosher salt
    ½ c. loosely packed cilantro, coarsely chopped

Remove husks and wash tomatillos; set aside. Put onion, jalapeno and garlic in food processor; process to fine chop. Add tomatillos, cubed avocado and salt; pulse to chunky chop. Transfer to serving bowl and stir in cilantro. Chill.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    These all sound great. Will have to try them.