Should I concern myself with others' eating habits?

Options

Replies

• luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    There's nothing more annoying than a person who is on a diet (I'm thinking of my MIL here specifically LoL) bragging about restriction and having yogurt and potato days (literally eating only yogurt or only potatoes on said day) during a meal! What a buzz kill!

OP, I'm sure you mean well, but in this case, it's all about time and place. I would just lose all the weight and wait for them to ask you what you did. Then they can gasp in disbelief that you ATE and lost weight, something that seems to shock everyone, which is sad.

As far as doing this at a bbq, I would be too busy eating meat to touch the salad, and, depending on the salad, it might not even be that much better to begin with if it's drenched in dressing/sugar/croutons etc.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    For me, bread and rice are unhealthy. I do best physically and psychologically on meat, leaves and berries, i.e. paleo.

I agree, bread is inherently evil.

2eao2fa.jpg
  • UsernameStillLoading
    UsernameStillLoading Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Who brings salad to a BBQ?

What's wrong with salad and bbq?? Since bbq'd meat is often filling and heavy, and salad is light they seem a good combo to me.

Oh, I thought salads were for decor
  • UsernameStillLoading
    UsernameStillLoading Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    For me, bread and rice are unhealthy. I do best physically and psychologically on meat, leaves and berries, i.e. paleo.

I agree, bread is inherently evil.

2eao2fa.jpg

Where are you buying your bread from? I buy mine's dead and prepared.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Never pass on a perfectly good opportunity to STFU.
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Preaching - about anything, from religion to food - isn't good social behaviour. Nickpicking at a bbq? Nobody likes that guy.

I know someone who likes to comment on what other people eat - I don't eat with her, because it's annoying. "Do you know what's in that?" "That looks like a lot of calories."

The thing is, your family members probably know that they aren't making healthy choices. It's like when people ask, "How do I tell my friend she's fat?" They know; they're just not ready to make the change. When they're ready, they'll do it. If they're never ready, that's their choice.

As for those hating on salads at bbq - you guys are crazy! :bigsmile: I'll eat your share :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

*huggles*

And it's a BBQ and a gathering. The last thing anyone wants to hear is someone going on about what's "right and wrong". It's about fun and enjoyment. Sure, bring a salad or veggie dish if you want. Nothing wrong with a variety. But to add - meat is NOT unhealthy.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

QFT
  • buxyblue
    buxyblue Posts: 11
    Options
    That just means more salad for you!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

*huggles*

And it's a BBQ and a gathering. The last thing anyone wants to hear is someone going on about what's "right and wrong". It's about fun and enjoyment. Sure, bring a salad or veggie dish if you want. Nothing wrong with a variety. But to add - meat is NOT unhealthy.

^All of the above
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I love you!
  • ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    People will ask if they want to know...most people notice on their own and then ask. Others could care less or care and are not ready for the information. I offer only when approached. It's like religion, everyone has their own idea of what they want and if they want to talk about it...they know you are doing it (just as they know if someone is a Christian) and will approach you if they truly want to discuss it. :-) It's awesome that you want to help others though, but they have to be ready :-)
    You go girl and keep up the great work!
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'm with the majority, you probably have enough work figuring out what works for you, much less anyone else. Don't be one of "those" people.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Not a single person I've known IRL has taken to mfp as I did, so I've stopped recommending it. I have cousins who lose weight by cutting carbs, which wouldn't suit me, but if it's working for them, that's fine by me.

I think mfp works for me because I don't like to be told what to do. Some people need an 'official' diet so that an authority figure is in charge of them, or a shake diet because then there are no choices to make. Different people work differently and it doesn't help to try to impose what works on us on others.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    The only way that it would be a good idea to say anything to anyone else about their food choices is if they ask you. Even then, they might just be trying to make polite conversation - so proceed with extreme caution.

I love me some salads and veggies, but it's a friggin' BBQ we're talking about here. Let everyone just chill and enjoy themselves, don't be a Negative Nellie.

xPfPGWJ.jpg
  • JenJenER
    JenJenER Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    unless these people are your children still living at home, there isn't much you can do unless they come to you with advise when they see your results!

^^^ this. Parents/guardians should concern themselves with what their kids eat. When it comes to adults and people you're not responsible for, then wait until someone asks for advice before giving it.

Leading by example is a good strategy

Yes, this. It was my first thought when I saw the topic title.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think you have a skewed idea of what eating healthy means. Birthday cake can be part of a healthy diet.

So can meat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Don't become the food police at family events. If you do, you may end up eating at home more often.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I agree, I don't want to be a negative Nancy, I like having friends and family around lol. Like most of you said, I'll mind ma business ,STFU and lead by example.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    No. Other peoples habits, not matter what they are, shouldn't be your concern.