Questions for American folks...

Options
VeganSurfer
VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
How many of you know the names of all of the states? Do you get it drilled in to you at school?
I'm British and I couldn't name all of our counties to save my life...

Replies

• Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes, we learned them all along with the capitals.
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I learned them all in, I think, 8th grade. I can still name all 50 states and most, if not all, of the territories. The capitals would be a real challenge but I think I could name about half.
  • biddy81
    biddy81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I still remember the 50 States song I learned in 5th grade. The problem now is that, if I want to remember all of them, I have to sing it to myself and I feel like a dork. :laugh:
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    learned all the states in alphabetical order in a song in about 4th grade...can still sing it....and yes, its been my silly bar trick more than once :happy:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Can't access those quizzes here at work. :(

Yup! We had to learn all the states, the capitals of all the states and even had to learn all the counties in our state. There were songs and other tricks that helped. I probably could name the states if I had to...would totally fail on the capitals and counties though.
  • VeganSurfer
    Options
    I'm intrigued by the songs :laugh:
  • michelefrench
    Options
    I still remember the 50 States song I learned in 5th grade. The problem now is that, if I want to remember all of them, I have to sing it to myself and I feel like a dork. :laugh:

"fifty nifty united states from 13 original colonies" --- same one???
  • VeganSurfer
    Options

Sounds like a real toe tapper :laugh:
  • michelefrench
    Options
    :laugh: Oh yeah, its rockin...
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I learned them all in, I think, 8th grade. I can still name all 50 states and most, if not all, of the territories. The capitals would be a real challenge but I think I could name about half.

Yep - this.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNUDDaEOvuY

tumblr_mijxjhVMpT1r8ifo5o1_1361418895_cover.jpg
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I had to learn them all, along with where they are located, and their capitals.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Yep .. I had to learn all the states & capitals. I could probably name them all (the states) still but it'd take some time. I could name most, if not all of the capitals. Idk about anyone else but we also learned state birds and stuff like that as well but it wasn't really drilled in our heads like the states/capitals themselves.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I can name all the states and I have pretty good knowledge on where the state capitals are located on a map.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did it. I googled "nifty fifty" and I'm gonna learn that some tonight.
  • jdm0804
    jdm0804 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    One time my friends and I decided to challenge ourselves to name all 50 states. I got to 47 and couldn't figure out which ones were missing. 30 minutes and an intense study of a map later, I found out that I had listed the number 35 3 times...
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Learned it at age 10. I can name most of them. Don't ask me to point the square ones as the correct state, though.
  • liz2512
    liz2512 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

lol that's how I learned and still remeber them too
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Sounds like a real toe tapper :laugh:
    :laugh: Now I want to look the songs up, not sure if I learned them as I had Nuns that taught me in grade school..we didn't do much geography, math, science etc. That was for the boys, unfortunatly...

Trying to recall if I know any songs, hm... when I get back home I'm going to Google or check out what you've all shared on here:tongue:

I do know I still struggle with knowing were RI, MA,NY,NJ,CT etc. are, I know the vicinity but not the exact location of how they all fit together as they are so small (on the maps from school). Growing up in the Midwest I know more about TX,Fl,NE,IA,CO,CA,UT etc., , I recall the larger puzzle pieces much easier to locate to finish the puzzles we'd put together. :laugh: :laugh:

Fun subject! Sorry East Coast, no offense to anyone in the above states, I have lived on the EC but only in Wash DC/VA area and NC.