Lifting weights... losing weight?

Options
1235»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Since it is denser, muscle does weigh more than fat if you compare same-size portions. On average, the density of fat is 0.9 g/mL. The density of muscle is 1.1 g/mL. Using the averages, 1 liter of muscle weighs 1.06 kg, or 2.3 lbs., while 1 liter of fat weighs .9 kg, or 1.98 lbs.
    When comparing the "weight" and density of matter vs matter, the basic practice is to compare matters of the same mass and volume to determine which weighs more. Usually the denser the material, the heavier in weight.

And again to the OP, hit the weights.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    MUSCLE DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT.
    Yes it does. When comparing weight of muscle and fat, you use the same VOLUME. By volume muscle weight more than fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^^ Yes, thank you. God, people can be ignorant. Learn your units of measurement people.
  • amciconte
    Options
    Yes, incorporate weight/strength training into your routine. I try very diligently to workout for 2hrs, 6 days a week at my local Y. I have ben doing this for the past year and have lost over 20+lbs. and the toning is really showing. My routine is spinning 3 days a week, eliptical 2-3 times a week, swimming laps (which I was afraid to do at first and now I enjoy it so much). I also take a yoga flex & flow class in the water 3 time a week. When the weather warms up I am out cycling on the weekends about 30 miles. I highly recommend joining the YMCA in your area, the staff where I go are extremely helpful. One more thing, I am gluten free after years of suffering and I really believe this has help me too.
  • elliottwave
    elliottwave Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A-freakin-men, girl! Sheesh
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Muscle and fat weigh the same. 16 ounces of either = 1 pound. Muscle is less dense than fat so you get the toned smaller body than someone who does do weights. If you are doing weights while losing weight, you are losing muscle along with fat. That is undesireable because you will be able to eat less in maintenance since it takes more calories to maintain a pound of muscle than a pound of fat.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I see a ton of cardio but no strength training, amiciconte.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options

A pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat. They're both a pound. However, muscle is denser than fat. This means that a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. If you look at someone who is 140 pounds and has 30% body fat compared to someone who is 140 pounds and 20%, you will see a huge difference.

There are many benefits to weight lifting. Other than the most obvious reason (you'll look better), you will burn more calories when you are resting. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism will be. This means that not only will you burn more calories when you're working out, but your caloric burn will be higher when you're not working out as well.

I suggest you look into lifting heavy in order to gain muscle. Do NOT be worried about bulking up. Women do not possess the hormones that men do, and WILL NOT turn into female body builders over night. What will happen is you will see the results you are looking for.

Lastly, do not being completely reliant on the scale. While many times it gives a very helpful information, it should not be the only records you are taking. Take measurements of yourself and track those as well. Many times with weight lifting you will see the scale stay the same, but you will drop many inches. THAT is what is important. It doesn't matter what the scale says, it matters how your clothes fit. No one is going to look at you and think "Wow, she looks amazing, but I wonder what the scale says?!"

Best of luck!

I 2nd this.... all of it :happy:
  • lozmog18
    Options
    Saying a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat is the same as saying a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of stones. Muscle does weigh more than fat if the same volume of both is weighed.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You should definitely be doing some strength training. I started out doing only cardio and eating at a deficit thinking that was all I needed to lose weight. I lost weight but I was still shaped like Mrs. Potatohead. I started doing mostly body weight exercises along with a little cardio and the shape of my body has changed rather quickly even though I'm only losing about 1.5 lbs a week.

^^^^^This
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Coupled with my menopause issues and doing only cardio I wasn't losing at all. I have just incorporate strength training back into my exercise 3 times a week and have lost 5 pounds this week alone. I am lifting heavier weights as well.
  • francescajeanfox
    Options
    Yes muscle does weight more than fat; BUT muscle helps burn fat! I weight lifted right from the start and it has helped me to lose 38 pounds so far!

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. it is denser so takes up less room,a pound is a pound no matter what it is.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok so by your logic, lead doesn't weigh more than feathers either, considering a pound of lead weighs as much as a pound of feathers too.

I can't believe we're still having that argument. It's just blowing my mind.
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

A pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat. They're both a pound. However, muscle is denser than fat. This means that a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. If you look at someone who is 140 pounds and has 30% body fat compared to someone who is 140 pounds and 20%, you will see a huge difference.

There are many benefits to weight lifting. Other than the most obvious reason (you'll look better), you will burn more calories when you are resting. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism will be. This means that not only will you burn more calories when you're working out, but your caloric burn will be higher when you're not working out as well.

I suggest you look into lifting heavy in order to gain muscle. Do NOT be worried about bulking up. Women do not possess the hormones that men do, and WILL NOT turn into female body builders over night. What will happen is you will see the results you are looking for.

Lastly, do not being completely reliant on the scale. While many times it gives a very helpful information, it should not be the only records you are taking. Take measurements of yourself and track those as well. Many times with weight lifting you will see the scale stay the same, but you will drop many inches. THAT is what is important. It doesn't matter what the scale says, it matters how your clothes fit. No one is going to look at you and think "Wow, she looks amazing, but I wonder what the scale says?!"

Best of luck!

I 2nd this.... all of it :happy:

I 3rd this. If you want to concentrate on a number, make it your body fat percentage. You will see this drop with heavy lifting and a wholesome intake of lovely food.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    strength training wont help u lose weight
    it will help u tone and build muscle

John-Krasinski-no.gif

When eating at a caloric deficit, you will not build muscle. There may be some noob gains, but they will be minimal at best. You will maintain the muscle mass that you already have, along with building strength.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    strength training wont help u lose weight
    it will help u tone and build muscle

You are joking right???

Weight Training helps build muscle, Lean Muscle increases your metabolic rate, a higher metabolism burns more calories during day to day life.

Tell me again how strength training doesn't help you lose weight??
    +1