new baby and i have no time to eat...

Options
rockerbabyy
rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
i need some advice on quick/easy and preferably things i can eat one handed that are healthy(ish) and not too messy...
i just had a baby two week ago and shes still very much in the "hold me constantly or ill scream" phase.. shes eating a ton (sometimes every 30 minutes, but will go as long as 4 hours sometimes..) sometimes for just 10 minutes, sometimes 3 1/2 hours..
im going crazy trying to get some food in me - yesterday my deficit was almost 1500 according to my bodymedia fit. of course today i made up for it in candy and chips for lunch :/ nothing really sounds or looks good and when i do get a few minutes with her in the swing or lying down, im usually trying to get some housework done.
really any tips at all would be appreciated. there arent many foods i wont eat (or at least try) - i just am in kind of a rut right now and its hard for me to think very clearly about anything besides nursing this lil poop machine lol

Replies

• lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    sandwiches are good along with fruit or veggies pre-sliced and ready to eat - I would buy them then cut them up and put away (well the ones you can like carrots, cucumbers, celery etc..
    Have you thought of a baby carrier like a Moby or sling - that really helped me with my last two and gave me the free hands I needed to fix a quick meal and eat - or do some housework etc....
  • dollhousedolly
    dollhousedolly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think easy food to eat that would be healthy and quick would be almonds, bananas, crackers.. Are you able to eat cereal or yogurt with one hand?
    Hope you find better food than candy and chips to eat :)
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    prep your foods the night before when you put her down to sleep and then all you will have to do is open some tupperware
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I feel like the title is an exaggeration.

Google, or search your favorite food sites, for recipes or enter things that sound good and create your own variations. Buy microwave food if you really have no time.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a similar question on the recipe forum and got lots of good ideas:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/959740-favorite-easy-go-to-meals-what-s-yours
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was a baby I used to prep a heap of food when she was sleeping (even if I had to get up at 5am to do it). Sandwiches, prepared fruit, yoghurt, crackers with peanut butter, boiled eggs, muffins, cheese just to name a few snacks.

Microwave meals are a good standby, I froze a heap of meals before bub was born which helped alot.

Also plastic/paper plates, cups and cutlery are great for a few weeks so you don't have as much washing up.

Good luck, the first few weeks are hard xx
  • myriddian
    myriddian Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I did this when I had my son and regret it now as it's thrown my metabolism to hell.
    Also are you feeding? It's important that you are eating and drinking enough if your making milk

Protein Shakes, or meal replacement shakes, if you know eating not going to happen at least you have something, Having these are better than having nothing at all
    Muffins - Brain or fruit. Make them at home and have with butter
    Sandwiches, Make them and cut them the night before that way during the day you just grab and eat when you get a second. Same for boiled eggs, carrot/celery sticks that you can have with dip, peanut butter or cottage cheese.
    Scrolls with cheese, ham tomato, pre-make them so you can grab and eat

Seriously, I did this when nursing my daughter and felt a million times better than eating nothing and having a binge when DP got home.
  • Kmanouchehri90
    Kmanouchehri90 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but if you have a trader joe's near you they have some frozen meals that are reasonably priced and relatively healthy as far as frozen meals go.

The first 3 months for me I would forget to eat. First babies are over-whelming! You really need to try your hardest to eat though, especially if you are nursing. Keep healthy snacks around the house, fruit, nuts, veggies, etc. Even if you're just snacking on healthy snacks throughout the day it is better than not eating at all.

It gets a lot better though! You'll have it figured out soon enough and will get back on a regular eating schedule. Good luck!
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I ate pretty much everything except soup over my son nursing while he was a baby, but I also had my husband at home to serve me. The first things that come to mind are cheese sticks, granola bars, pieces of fruit that you can just grab. Bagels are good one handed, and you need extra calories! Frozen waffles without syrup might work if you can find time to toast them. Do you have a sling or wrap so you can nurse and walk around? That might help!

CONGRATS MAMA!!! :smile:
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    sandwiches are good along with fruit or veggies pre-sliced and ready to eat - I would buy them then cut them up and put away (well the ones you can like carrots, cucumbers, celery etc..
    Have you thought of a baby carrier like a Moby or sling - that really helped me with my last two and gave me the free hands I needed to fix a quick meal and eat - or do some housework etc....
    i have a sling that a friend gave me with my last kid, but i never really got the hang of it. its a peanut brand something or other.. i tried it once last week but it didnt seem to help - it could be that i was just too frustrated by that point though. ill try it again.
    I think easy food to eat that would be healthy and quick would be almonds, bananas, crackers.. Are you able to eat cereal or yogurt with one hand?
    Hope you find better food than candy and chips to eat :)
    yogurt i would possibly try, maybe not cereal though heh
    i could definitely make some trail mix stuff though with nuts and dried fruit...
    prep your foods the night before when you put her down to sleep and then all you will have to do is open some tupperware
    oh man how id love to be able to put her down to sleep lol the last feeding of the night i do in my bed, and then just lie down with her in my arms. about the only time im not holding her is when shes in her carseat/stroller and im walking to get my other kids to/from school.
  • strflt
    strflt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Are you taking vitamins still? Keep it up if you are. When breastfeeding (or carrying, even) vitamins will be leeched to feed the baby so you want to get all the calcium and other stuff you can!

But otherwise, If you need quick things, here's what I do when I'm feeling exceptionally lazy or pressed for time:

-peanut butter sandwiches (w/jelly if you like)

-Tuna sandwiches (Starkist makes 100 calorie packs, premixed with mayo so no draining or mixing for you.)

-'Steamers' brand vegetables, or similar. A lot of veggie brands are making 'steam in the bag' vegetable packs. Just throw it in the microwave and in 5 minutes you've got a side dish (or in my case, dinner sometimes, because I'm lazy and they're big enough.) You can find single-serve sizes, too, if you'd rather.

-Husband/boyfriend/SO!!! Give them a recipe and ask them to cook you a lasagna or casserole or whatever you like. :) An easy one, of course (they exist!) and precut into microwavable bowls. I made one the other night and I'm eating it through this week and the weekend.

-Tortillas with salsa, low-fat cheese, and precooked chicken. Throw it in the microwave long enough to melt the cheese. If you find time, toss on some cut avocados for healthy fats instead of the cheese.

-Apples, berries, easy to eat fruits in general...

-Kefir. It's drinkable yogurt and will help keep your calcium levels up. (If you eat dairy.) I recommend Lifeway brand, personally. (Evolve tastes a little chalky to me...) I love this stuff more than water. At Costco I saw a whole, big box of individual sized bottles, too. Easier to take with you or carry around the house since it has a screw-cap.

-Wraps. Spread something (reduced fat mayo, cream cheese, or ranch dressing), layer on green stuff (spinach, arugala, flat salad stuff), and put on main ingredient. (Turkey, tuna, chicken, sliced cucumbers even.) Roll and eat.
  • Leolion12
    Options
    Hey there, totally understand where you're coming from. I've got a 5-month old now and he always gets fed 1st :) I also pre-froze food before he was born but what I do now is if I make a meal I make extra and put that in the freezer.
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    im thinking this weekend, ill have hubby keep her content while i bake some things ive been wanting to make - i have a few recipes for muffins, granola bars, and protein balls that ive been wanting to try but didnt get a chance to make before she was born.
  • Kmanouchehri90
    Kmanouchehri90 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Google, or search your favorite food sites, for recipes or enter things that sound good and create your own variations. Buy microwave food if you really have no time.

Hormonally, you are completely off balance after giving birth.
    In my case at least, I was so overwhelmed I was scared to even put my daughter down for a second! Although it is an adjustment for men too when they become dads, it really is different. I was a mess for the first 6 weeks. I'd say it is less about not having 'time to eat' and more about actually forgetting to eat.
  • rockerbabyy
    Options

lol really? have you ever given birth and then had the child attached to your chest to feed almost constantly? not only am i overwhelmed with the new baby, i have two other kids to try to take care of while my husband is at work. i sleep 4 hours a night, get up early to feed the baby before i get the other kids up to get ready for school.. walk them to school and come home to feed baby again.. the last two days ive ended up napping after that feeding because im just so tired. i get up and go get kid #2 from school and get her home for lunch.. try to do some housework in between making her lunch and the next baby feeding.. then i go get kid #1 from school and get her snack, feed baby, and try to work on dinner stuff before hubby gets home from work. add in the evening school activities that i have to manage to squeeze in somehow, and its amazing im still standing most days. she will literally sleep for maybe 5 minutes if i put her down.. long enough for me to go to the bathroom if im lucky.
    not only are my hormones all screwy - im just exhausted and have no time to even think about myself..with some feedings taking up to 3.5 hours, i just cant seem to balance anything.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Let the non-essential housework go right now. You will get to it in a month. Hang in there, this too shall pass. I can't imagine how difficult it is to balance all you have on your plate right now. Can you ask friends/family for help? Or premade food?
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Nope. Been there, done that. I lost 3 kilos in one week with my first baby, I wasn't trying to lose weigh back then either. Try and get as much sleep and help as you can. Oh, and housework can wait. A friend who can cook for you would be a treasure. Big hug and kisses.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options

lol really? have you ever given birth and then had the child attached to your chest to feed almost constantly? not only am i overwhelmed with the new baby, i have two other kids to try to take care of while my husband is at work. i sleep 4 hours a night, get up early to feed the baby before i get the other kids up to get ready for school.. walk them to school and come home to feed baby again.. the last two days ive ended up napping after that feeding because im just so tired. i get up and go get kid #2 from school and get her home for lunch.. try to do some housework in between making her lunch and the next baby feeding.. then i go get kid #1 from school and get her snack and try to work on dinner stuff before hubby gets home from work. add in the evening school activities that i have to manage to squeeze in somehow, and its amazing im still standing most days. she will literally sleep for maybe 5 minutes if i put her down.. long enough for me to go to the bathroom if im lucky.
    not only are my hormones all screwy - im just exhausted and have no time to even think about myself..with some feedings taking up to 3.5 hours, i just cant seem to balance anything.

Hang in there. And no, the title is most definitly not an exaggeration. Having a new baby, especially one that wants to nurse all the time, can literally take every free minute you have.

Someone suggested a Moby wrap, they are great. Way better then the peanut slings. Ergos are always wonderful, babies just kind of cuddle right into your chest and are generally happy in them. They are expensive, and worth every penny. Will she go in a swing or bouncy chair?

As for eating, try and prep things when you have 5 minutes. Cut fruits and veggies, cook chicken breast to snack on, sandwiches can be eaten quickly and with one hand. Greek yogurt with granola, dry cereal (its yummy to snack on :) ) Smoothies/protein shakes....I hope you find something that works!
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone that has never had her own children but lived (*literally*, lived in the same home) with her sister through the birth of her last 3 children and had a roll in caring for the first two:

I understand where you are in your life that you are going through so much and you want to be (and will be, from the sounds of it!) the best mommy you can be. HOWEVER, you have to take care of you, too.

Let others help you. Either with the childcare or the household stuff or the food stuff. OR Put your baby down or in some kind of sling or their bed or a seat. Make some of the options suggested to you from these other fabulous folks and pick your baby up, eat and relax. You need to remember that to be the best for your baby you need to eat and sleep and *gasp* sometimes shower ;)

I hope you don't take any of this the wrong way. I truly, truly don't mean any malice. I just know what I've experienced with my sister and her kids and what I had to tell her. I think that what you do as a mom is amazing and the hardest job in the world. Congratulations and good luck! :D
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options

lol really? have you ever given birth and then had the child attached to your chest to feed almost constantly? not only am i overwhelmed with the new baby, i have two other kids to try to take care of while my husband is at work. i sleep 4 hours a night, get up early to feed the baby before i get the other kids up to get ready for school.. walk them to school and come home to feed baby again.. the last two days ive ended up napping after that feeding because im just so tired. i get up and go get kid #2 from school and get her home for lunch.. try to do some housework in between making her lunch and the next baby feeding.. then i go get kid #1 from school and get her snack, feed baby, and try to work on dinner stuff before hubby gets home from work. add in the evening school activities that i have to manage to squeeze in somehow, and its amazing im still standing most days. she will literally sleep for maybe 5 minutes if i put her down.. long enough for me to go to the bathroom if im lucky.

Sorry, I missed this apparently. I like your rhetorical question. :)

I have raised two kids for the most part on my own though (from changing diapers to preparing bottles and feeding them). I know all about being busy with life and the life of little ones. I still managed to find time to eat.
    I just looked at your diary for the past week. You definitely have time to eat. This thread is pointless.
    I dont really feel like explaining each and every day to you, so i wont...but how about you stop being a prick and go post somewhere else instead of my "pointless" thread

You don't have to explain anything to me. I see your diary and I look at your original post. It seems to me you're getting food into your body. What's the problem?

You burn more calories when you are breastfeeding. Much more than preparing a bottle of formula. Formula fed babies generally feed less often too. If you're not going to be helpful, why are you even commenting on a post that is explicitly asking for help.