new baby and i have no time to eat...

Options

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Hold her in one arm and prepare your food with the other, or get one of those fancy slings. Also, if they want to whine a little while you fix your food, let them. It's really not going to hurt them, as long as they are changed, fed, etc.

- Mom of twins.

Yeah what she said. I had one that wanted to eat all the time. I finally got tired of that and let her fuss while I cooked and then I held her as I ate. She didn't fuss too much while I was eating, it seemed she was more unhappy about the time I spent cooking rather than the time I was eating.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Okay, all the people giving the OP grief about having "over" days and typing when she could be prepping food, etc, need to stuff it. THE WOMAN IS TWO WEEKS POST-PARTUM. For God's sake, have some sensitivity. Her hormones are everywhere, she's exhausted, she has two other kids to care for, and a cluster-feeding newborn. She's not even supposed to be lifting anything heavier than the newborn at this point, but that's likely impossible with two other young kids.

I've only got one. At two weeks PP I was still basically living in my pjs with this squirming whimpering little creature basically grafted to my boob. I lived on the computer because it was my only contact with adults other than my husband and 72-year-old mother in law. I was getting plenty of calories, but it didn't feel like it because I was grabbing a handful here and a slice there in the few precious moments that my newborn was sleeping peacefully somewhere other than on me. I LOVE my son, and I was so in love in those early days, but it was still beyond overwhelming, and again, he's only my first. I can only imagine how exhausting it must be to deal with two other young-ish kids at the same time! She very well may be getting plenty of food on the days her hubby is home, but even on those days she likely doesn't feel like she's getting *food*, if she's having to resort to quick easy and microwaveable. She hasn't had time to shower regularly, let alone sit down at the table and eat an actual MEAL like a grown person. Congrats to the working mums who have pulled it off, the super-dads, and the rest. Go be superior somewhere else, it's not helpful.

OP, the best thing I can tell you is to keep plenty of fresh produce, nuts, cheese, and your meal bar of choice in the house. Things you can grab quickly and eat one-handed. Next day your hubby, a neighbor, a friend is available, TAKE A NAP. Seriously. Let someone else comfort the niblet while you take an hour's sleep. She won't die of neglect, promise, and you will feel SO much better. Feed her, then take a shower. Feed the baby, then sit down in the other room and actually eat a proper hot meal. Stock up on paper plates and plastic forks. Let the vacuum gather dust. See if you can arrange car pools to after school activities. Ask for help. Don't try to be super-mom, you'll drive yourself batty.

I know it's hard to even think right now. It's gonna be a bit until things settle into the new normal, but until then, I promise, nobody's going to call the cops if your kids are late to their extra-curriculars, or if somebody has mismatched socks or mentions they ate breakfast off a paper plate. Cut corners, get it down to the absolute minimum, and any time someone asks you "is there anything you need/anything I can do?", you say "Yes, actually, could you please (insert house chore/grocery run/hold the baby while I shower)? Thanks so much!"

Since when did having a kid become some sort of triathlon? I swear ppl need to stop being so weak and lame. Our ancestors would die laughing if they werent already dead. Yeah those women before us that didnt have epidurals and a comfy hospital to have a baby safely in and so on. FFS this world is an epic fail at this point if this is the mentality that is so acceptable WTF!?!?!

Just curious, have you had any children yourself?

Read the damn post and find out I do not support lazy posters
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any suggestions that haven't been already mentioned, but I want to just tell you that it's really inspiring that you are trying to get healthy, even with everything that is going on in your life. I know I wouldn't be able to.
  • sarahlynnekline
    Options
    I always kept a bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer and grabbed a handful every time I walked in the kitchen ;)
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Okay, all the people giving the OP grief about having "over" days and typing when she could be prepping food, etc, need to stuff it. THE WOMAN IS TWO WEEKS POST-PARTUM. For God's sake, have some sensitivity. Her hormones are everywhere, she's exhausted, she has two other kids to care for, and a cluster-feeding newborn. She's not even supposed to be lifting anything heavier than the newborn at this point, but that's likely impossible with two other young kids.

I've only got one. At two weeks PP I was still basically living in my pjs with this squirming whimpering little creature basically grafted to my boob. I lived on the computer because it was my only contact with adults other than my husband and 72-year-old mother in law. I was getting plenty of calories, but it didn't feel like it because I was grabbing a handful here and a slice there in the few precious moments that my newborn was sleeping peacefully somewhere other than on me. I LOVE my son, and I was so in love in those early days, but it was still beyond overwhelming, and again, he's only my first. I can only imagine how exhausting it must be to deal with two other young-ish kids at the same time! She very well may be getting plenty of food on the days her hubby is home, but even on those days she likely doesn't feel like she's getting *food*, if she's having to resort to quick easy and microwaveable. She hasn't had time to shower regularly, let alone sit down at the table and eat an actual MEAL like a grown person. Congrats to the working mums who have pulled it off, the super-dads, and the rest. Go be superior somewhere else, it's not helpful.

OP, the best thing I can tell you is to keep plenty of fresh produce, nuts, cheese, and your meal bar of choice in the house. Things you can grab quickly and eat one-handed. Next day your hubby, a neighbor, a friend is available, TAKE A NAP. Seriously. Let someone else comfort the niblet while you take an hour's sleep. She won't die of neglect, promise, and you will feel SO much better. Feed her, then take a shower. Feed the baby, then sit down in the other room and actually eat a proper hot meal. Stock up on paper plates and plastic forks. Let the vacuum gather dust. See if you can arrange car pools to after school activities. Ask for help. Don't try to be super-mom, you'll drive yourself batty.

I know it's hard to even think right now. It's gonna be a bit until things settle into the new normal, but until then, I promise, nobody's going to call the cops if your kids are late to their extra-curriculars, or if somebody has mismatched socks or mentions they ate breakfast off a paper plate. Cut corners, get it down to the absolute minimum, and any time someone asks you "is there anything you need/anything I can do?", you say "Yes, actually, could you please (insert house chore/grocery run/hold the baby while I shower)? Thanks so much!"

Since when did having a kid become some sort of triathlon? I swear ppl need to stop being so weak and lame. Our ancestors would die laughing if they werent already dead. Yeah those women before us that didnt have epidurals and a comfy hospital to have a baby safely in and so on. FFS this world is an epic fail at this point if this is the mentality that is so acceptable WTF!?!?!

Uh, I did. You know, it wouldn't kill you to have a little compassion, especially in regards to something you seem to know nothing about.
  • Improvised
    Options
    I always kept a bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer and grabbed a handful every time I walked in the kitchen ;)

Good one! I actually went to get some this morning, and saw I was out. Grr. They are also awesome in oatmeal.
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hmm... sarcasm, name calling, assumptions about strangers' lives, and statements about "ancestors" that are laughable in any real historical context... yup, I'm hurt. Really hurt.

I could get into all the reasons I had little choice but to be a lump on the couch after my son was born, but there are too many folks out tonight who aren't interested in actual discussion, only in how many points they can score. My point was that none of us know what is going on in the OP's world, really, or in her head. We can't, because we're not there. Her challenges are hers, mine are mine, yours are yours, and none of us have the right to judge another's performance. I know for a fact I could not cope with any but a near- to ideal out-of-the-house job, it's established, and I'm not going to kill myself trying, or waste energy defending that decision. I got creative and launched a business I could sustain, out of my own damn kitchen. Not too many can do that. In the end, I know I can't cope with your life, but I'm equally certain you couldn't handle mine, and I wonder how well any of us would do dropped into the OP's individual circumstances. The level of judgmental BS on this thread is astounding for a community where we are supposedly supporting each other toward our healthy living goals.

ETA - oooooh, I LOOOVE frozen blueberries! As soon as the spring thunderstorms ease off some, I'm planting bushes along my back fence so I can have all the blueberries I want!
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Uh, I did. You know, it wouldn't kill you to have a little compassion, especially in regards to something you seem to know nothing about.

I only have compassion for those that make the effort to deserve it. Excuses wont get you compassion from me. The fact you think I lack the knowledge or experience puts you in the no compassion category as well, but not for being effortless. I am going to bed so I will just say GN sweet genius have a good one! :drinker:
  • Improvised
    Options

I only have compassion for those that make the effort to deserve it. Excuses wont get you compassion from me. The fact you think I lack the knowledge or experience puts you in the no compassion category as well, but not for being effortless. I am going to bed so I will just say GN sweet genius have a good one! :drinker:

No, it's just me and my assumptions, not compassionless. :)
    They may (or may not) be excuses, but she's a frazzled tired lady with a new born baby and may be dealing with baby blues and all that jazz. Your post was extremely harsh. Anyway, I'm going to bed too.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hmm... sarcasm, name calling, assumptions about strangers' lives, and statements about "ancestors" that are laughable in any real historical context... yup, I'm hurt. Really hurt.

I could get into all the reasons I had little choice but to be a lump on the couch after my son was born, but there are too many folks out tonight who aren't interested in actual discussion, only in how many points they can score. My point was that none of us know what is going on in the OP's world, really, or in her head. We can't, because we're not there. Her challenges are hers, mine are mine, yours are yours, and none of us have the right to judge another's performance. I know for a fact I could not cope with any but a near- to ideal out-of-the-house job, it's established, and I'm not going to kill myself trying, or waste energy defending that decision. I got creative and launched a business I could sustain, out of my own damn kitchen. Not too many can do that. In the end, I know I can't cope with your life, but I'm equally certain you couldn't handle mine, and I wonder how well any of us would do dropped into the OP's individual circumstances. The level of judgmental BS on this thread is astounding for a community where we are supposedly supporting each other toward our healthy living goals.

ETA - oooooh, I LOOOVE frozen blueberries! As soon as the spring thunderstorms ease off some, I'm planting bushes along my back fence so I can have all the blueberries I want!

I don't see how the beginning and ending (pre-edit) of your post is warranted, really. OP asked for suggestions and got them. You basically relate your life experiences and build off that to give her ideas and so have many others. If none of what we all have done in our lives matters, as you seem to make that a point, then what's the point of responding to the OP at all (yourself included)?

Just because you don't like the fact that some responses aren't sugar-coated, doesn't mean they're invalid.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Let housework take a back seat, your health and sanity are more important. Make an effort to eat first and do housework later :) ppl already made good suggestions. I especially like the one about preparing some of your food the night before so you're ahead of the game. Also could your husband bring dinner home? There are lots of healthy take out options.
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of smoothies when my daughter was a newborn. So quick and easy to handle one handed. I also eat bananas, granola bars, frozen meals, sandwiches or wraps. I agree crockpots are the best for getting dinner done when you have a little baby. Just get as much prepared the night before. Maybe see about baby wearing or getting a bounce chair or swing. That helped me a lot with getting meals together.
  • _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    I used to strap the baby to my back and cook a bunch of stuff then pack it in the freezer.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    When my daughter was a baby I used to prep a heap of food when she was sleeping (even if I had to get up at 5am to do it). Sandwiches, prepared fruit, yoghurt, crackers with peanut butter, boiled eggs, muffins, cheese just to name a few snacks.

Microwave meals are a good standby, I froze a heap of meals before bub was born which helped alot.

Also plastic/paper plates, cups and cutlery are great for a few weeks so you don't have as much washing up.

Good luck, the first few weeks are hard xx

^ Agree! All of these ideas sound good :) Lots of fruit, sandwiches, boiled eggs... anything mentioned above :P Good luck and congrats!
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    Stuff the house work for a couple days/weeks
    Hubby can have baby when he gets home
    Why don't you eat when you are preparing your other childrens lunches/snacks/dinners/breakfast? Even if you eat it standing whilst you run around the kitchen? But you could take a couple minutes to have breakfast, even just toast with the kiddies.
    And i'm sorry but your 2 week old i can be almost certain must nap for atleast half hour at some point during the day?
    My son had bad colic and screamed pretty much all day, every day for the 1st 4-5 months and he still napped, eventually.
    When your baby wakes for the night time feeds so grab a premade boiled egg from the fridge for a bit of a pick me up, even if you are planning on going back to sleep after

& to the people who think it's horrible to leave a baby to cry, if kids needs are met, fed, clean, changed, warm ect then yep, chances are you can take a couple minutes! You know babies sometimes just cry for the sake of crying, right?
  • Xiolastarr
    Options
    Once a week, I roast a turkey or a couple of chickens. Then I always have healthy protein handy for when I'm hungry and in need of a fix.

I also have hummus in the fridge, always. It's so easy to stuff a pita with some veggies and turkey/chicken and top with hummus.

Or make a salad into a meal by topping it with turkey and some nuts (which is what I did tonight).

Other things we do with turkey - soup, stir fry, pasta. It makes it so easy to throw together a meal when the meat is versatile and ready to go.

Frozen fruit and veggies are always in my freezer - very convenient, no washing!

Hard boiled eggs are easy to prepare and have on hand.

Oh omelettes... toss 1/2 can of tuna, some veggies and a little cheese, 5 minute meal.

Hope that helps... it's tough with a new little one.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i understand my son going threw that faze for the second time at 2 years!! i make my self sandwiches before bed when hes sleeping and i eat them during the day i also make soups for dinners and would have a bowl ready to heat up for my lunches fruits always great int the mornings too =D
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I feel like the title is an exaggeration.

Google, or search your favorite food sites, for recipes or enter things that sound good and create your own variations. Buy microwave food if you really have no time.

Yeh cos it's a well know fact that after giving birth us women just sit around painting our nails or whatever.

Have you ever tried pushing a bowling ball out of your *kitten* then having this little creature permanently attached to you, literally sucking out every last ounce of energy??

OP I used to make sandwiches in advance if I had a spare second, or put a jacket potato in the oven, anything I didn't have to stand over or could put in the fridge for later. Good luck xx
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I feel like the title is an exaggeration.

Google, or search your favorite food sites, for recipes or enter things that sound good and create your own variations. Buy microwave food if you really have no time.

Yeh cos it's a well know fact that after giving birth us women just sit around painting our nails or whatever.

Have you ever tried pushing a bowling ball out of your *kitten* then having this little creature permanently attached to you, literally sucking out every last ounce of energy??

OP I used to make sandwiches in advance if I had a spare second, or put a jacket potato in the oven, anything I didn't have to stand over or could put in the fridge for later. Good luck xx

What does giving birth and breastfeeding have to do with my suggestion of using google or buying frozen food? I think you need to calm down.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    It was do to with your comment about it being an exaggeration