Share your HIIT workouts

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
Just looking for examples of HIIT workouts. The more specific the better...Thanks!

Replies

• lporter229
    Options
    Bump
  • Dani19711
    Dani19711 Posts: 33
    Options
    30 seconds sprint, 30 seconds recovery. Repeat
  • dantonn9
    dantonn9 Posts: 13
    Options
    30 seconds sprint, 30 seconds recovery. Repeat

Repeat until you're tired? Or a specific time length?

Sorry, I'm new to HIIT
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Check out the daily hiit website for ideas.
  • raythrasher
    raythrasher Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com is a great site with lots of HIIT workouts that are free.
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Google HIIT workouts and you'll find a ton online. I've got a few favorites from places like Pinterest, Treadmill Shredmill, Fitsugar, etc...there are an insane amount of them out there. Have fun! I love HIIT workouts:)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I heavy lift and follow that routine with 15 minutes of HIIT: 1 minute fast, 2 minutes recovery, 1 minute faster, 2 minutes recovery...continue for the 15 minutes and increase to as fast as possible by the last set.

You can do this with basically any cardio - running, cyclcing, elliptical, etc...
  • lporter229
    Options
    Thanks all. Most social networking and fitness related sites are blocked at work, which is why I was requesting specifics. I will check some of these suggestions out at home later.

I have always done some interval training on my treadmill, but I'm not sure if it would qualify as HIIT. When you all say "fast", how fast are we talking? Do you do them on the treadmill? I am afraid to go TOO fast on the treadmill because if I bonk, I could seriously get hurt. I find running on the treadmill any faster than 7.5 MPH to be very hard. Not from a cardio standpoint, but from a "holy crap, I am going to fall off of this thing" standpoint.
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you can youtube at work- fitness blender is on there and you can view some of their workouts.
  • lindsienygaard
    lindsienygaard Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been doing a hill program on the elliptial and I do 1 minute as fast and hard as I can then 1 minute more relaxed. I do it for 30 minutes and burn loads more calories (according to my hrm) than I normally would in those 30 minutes.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been doing a hill program on the elliptial and I do 1 minute as fast and hard as I can then 1 minute more relaxed. I do it for 30 minutes and burn loads more calories (according to my hrm) than I normally would in those 30 minutes.
    thats intervals. not hiit.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Most social networking and fitness related sites are blocked at work, which is why I was requesting specifics. I will check some of these suggestions out at home later.

I have always done some interval training on my treadmill, but I'm not sure if it would qualify as HIIT. When you all say "fast", how fast are we talking? Do you do them on the treadmill? I am afraid to go TOO fast on the treadmill because if I bonk, I could seriously get hurt. I find running on the treadmill any faster than 7.5 MPH to be very hard. Not from a cardio standpoint, but from a "holy crap, I am going to fall off of this thing" standpoint.

Run outside?

My recovery time is at a moderate walk (3.5mph) and my max run (very had for me physically - like barely can hang on for 60 seconds) is 8.0mph. Everyone is different.
  • Seraphemz
    Seraphemz Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I thought that what she is doing would be considered HIIT, since its 1 min as fast as she can...then rests 1 minute... Isnt that HIIT?
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Ummm what do you think that the second I stands for dude.... :huh:
  • chitownbmx
    Options
    Are you looking for workouts with weights, body weight, etc...?
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    If your high intensity portion last more than 30 sec, then it's not truly high intensity. Think that a lion or tiger is chasing you and you have to out run it.
  • lporter229
    Options

I thought that what she is doing would be considered HIIT, since its 1 min as fast as she can...then rests 1 minute... Isnt that HIIT?
    I second that question. I thought the only difference between intervals and high intensity intervals is that HIIT is at maximum intensity. Isn't that what she said she does? Why is this not HIIT then?

ETA...sorry did not see above post. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Seraphemz
    Seraphemz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If your high intensity portion last more than 30 sec, then it's not truly high intensity. Think that a lion or tiger is chasing you and you have to out run it.

I have seen HIIT workouts that have it at 60 seconds hard 120 seconds low...

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/06/04/high-intensity-interval-training-hiit-best-cardio-to-burn-fat/

check out the link, last paragraph even has elliptical as an example HIIT workout.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

I have seen HIIT workouts that have it at 60 seconds hard 120 seconds low...

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/06/04/high-intensity-interval-training-hiit-best-cardio-to-burn-fat/

check out the link, last paragraph even has elliptical as an example HIIT workout.
    The hard portion should be all out. If someone goes all out for 1 min then they are not really going all out. Not even a world class sprinter can run as hard or as fast as they can for 1 min. The hard portions of HIIT is not just going harder of faster than usual.
  • Natalielp15
    Options
    You can do HIIT on a variety of machines (treadmill, elliptical, bike) or do you have a jump rope? 30 seconds on (as fast as you can go), 30 seconds off (easy) for 20 min is typical. Or just start however you feel comfortable, maybe 15 seconds on, 45 seconds off, making sure your heart rate lowers during the "off" time.