Metformin experiences?

Options
So... I went back to my new endocrinologist today, and she still thinks that I have a medical reason that I'm not losing weight. I have hypothyroidism, but my levels are normal with the meds, so she doesn't think that's it. No adrenal problems. My fasting glucose put me at 100 instead of the upper limit of 99, so she's thinking about putting me on metformin. Any thoughts or experiences with this, wise-MFP peeps? Many thanks!

Replies

• Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I am on 2000mg of met. My advice: Take it with food..srsly. It might give u tummy issues at first but it will pass. i haven't been eating or exercising properly enough to tell you if it helps with weightloss. I will say when I do take it like I am supposed to I have an easier time staying in my calorie range.
  • ladyshands
    Options
    I have been on and off metformin for the last three years due to PCOS. I took it during pregnancy with my daughter to avoid miscarriage and have been back on it post partum to regulate my hormones. Its a rough pill to swallow (literally) due to the side effects on your GI system... but it keeps you on track with your diet and in turn, you have no choice but to lose weight... because if you eat the greasy, carb loaded stuff, you will PAY dearly with tummy issues. the biggest benefit it has provided me is stopping the cysts that are on my ovaries from rupturing. I havent had a rupture since my daughter was a little baby (she is a year old now)... when that happens, my day is done.

And for the love of God.... PLEASE eat with this medication... I took it once on an empty stomach.. I felt like death was knocking at my door lol
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    As I'm sure others will state (and already have), most people tolerate Metformin extremely well after a brief 'adjustment' period usually characterized by gastro-intestinal issues... ie: diarrhea, etc.

My suggest is start on a low dose and gradually increase it to what's prescribed. IE: if prescribed 2000mg daily, start at 500mg and work up over a few weeks... It's easier on your system that way, with less need to be near a bathroom :smile:

Once the symptoms lessen (they will) it really helps with insulin-sensitivity, and many people taking it do experience weight-loss.

If you haven't already, I'd watch your intake of refined carbohydrates (flour, sugar) as well as grains/starches. Anyone with insulin-resistance will find their best source of carbohydrate is non-starchy vegetables, but many tolerate reasonable servings of whole grains (note, "whole wheat" is almost never "whole grain") and lower-GI carbohydrate. Amazingly, if reducing calories by eliminating these products, the best thing to replace those calories with is fat - with the exception of refined oils and trans-fats.
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    How was your A1C?.

I'd say try revising your diet some more. I briefly looked at your diary and my suggestion would be to cut out more carbs and up your protein.

I've found I only lose weight when I keep my carbs under 100grams a day and ideally 50-75. Eat more protein with breakfast and lunch. 3 cups of cheerios is way too many. Eat a cup with some greek yogurt or an egg and milk.
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I was on it for quite a few years for PCOS, I did have a few gastro issues, but just for a week or two. I did not work out like crazy while on it, just tried to eat healthier food and excercised a bit and I was steady. At the time I wasn't having periods and was only taking Metformin, no birth control, and it was enough to make them regular. I know a girl who took Metformin and starting upping her workouts and she lost quite a bit of weight. I went off the medication after my liver enzymes went a bit too high. I just tapered off them and didn't take any supplements or pills for over a year, not even a Tylenol. My periods stayed the same and my hormone levels all tested normal. For me, I contribute the Metformin for helping to normalize my hormone levels. I have been off of it for 3 years now and have only skipped maybe 1 or 2 periods and this was when I wasn't active. Now granted I have a lot of weight to lose still, but having normal periods is outstanding considering they were very irregular since age 13 and have only starting having normal ones in the past 3 years, I am now 37- well I turn 37 tomorrow! Good luck, let your body be your guide, if you start them and after a few weeks don't feel right, see your doctor about tapering off or changing the dosage. My doctor started me on a low dosage and would then up it every few months. My fasting glucose was the same as yours, sometimes 100, sometimes in the high 90's. Metformin did stabilize it. Best wishes!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I took it for a while when I was newly diagnosed hypothyroid. Well, for about 2 years, I guess. But I got off of it last year, actually before I had even reached my weight loss goal. I still reached it (and have maintained for 8 months now). I think that it can be a very useful tool. You do have to take it with food, so you can't take it with your thyroid meds, which need to be taken on an empty stomach.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    As I'm sure others will state (and already have), most people tolerate Metformin extremely well after a brief 'adjustment' period usually characterized by gastro-intestinal issues... ie: diarrhea, etc.

My suggest is start on a low dose and gradually increase it to what's prescribed. IE: if prescribed 2000mg daily, start at 500mg and work up over a few weeks... It's easier on your system that way, with less need to be near a bathroom :smile:

Once the symptoms lessen (they will) it really helps with insulin-sensitivity, and many people taking it do experience weight-loss.

If you haven't already, I'd watch your intake of refined carbohydrates (flour, sugar) as well as grains/starches. Anyone with insulin-resistance will find their best source of carbohydrate is non-starchy vegetables, but many tolerate reasonable servings of whole grains (note, "whole wheat" is almost never "whole grain") and lower-GI carbohydrate. Amazingly, if reducing calories by eliminating these products, the best thing to replace those calories with is fat - with the exception of refined oils and trans-fats.
    Try this first if you haven't already.
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Well, it's confirmed, dang it. "Prediabetes." My new fasting glucose level was 106, and my A1C was 6.0. I'll start the metformin today. My doctor did prescribe the gradual upping method, with one pill once per day this week, then next week one in the morning and one at night, and then the next week two in the morning and one at night, and the fourth week two in the morning and two at night.

I know this probably sounds dumb, but I don't FEEL like I have diabetes. Though, to be honest, I don't know exactly how diabetes makes you feel. Maybe it's just been creeping in for such a long time that I haven't noticed?
  • gracemclachlan
    Options
    I take metformin and It's actually worked really well for me. I'm on and off it because of the god awful 'Stomach' issues but I've now committed to it. DO NOT BY ANY MEANS EAT ICE CREAM. That is the perfect mixture of fats and sugars to bring you on your knees (or well on your butt) to the porcelain throne.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Your blood glucose was 100 and the cutoff is 99? I would get it retested just to double check, and maybe if it the number is borderline, really commit yourself to losing weight and getting healthy before trying a pill, if you're hesitant.

And yes, what is your A1C?

ETA - Saw you got retested. Nevermind. Good idea to follow your doctor's recommendations.
  • desireelynnbr
    Options
    I've been on Metformin for a couple years now. I'll never forget my first experience, I took the full dose and my body reacted quickly. Wasn't pleasant. I tried it again, a couple days later. Same thing. I refused to take it again. Then about a year later, doc put me back on it. I explained what happened, and she said to start small and work my way up to full dose. So, depending on what you're on, take about 1/4 of the dose for a couple days, then up to 1/2, then up to 3/4 and then the full dose. Go slowly.

I've gotten my A1C down to 6.1. It has made a difference, even if my daily finger tests don't show it.

Feel free to friend me on facebook. My facebook username is same as this one: Desireelynnbr.
  • tessaeve
    tessaeve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I take metformin daily. I credit it along with diet and exercise for my weight loss. I tried for years to lose the weight before metformin and while doing the same things I'm doing now, I just continued to gain. The stomache upset is rough at first. It does get better. For me it was months before it slacked up. Heade the warnings about greasy, fatty, sugar-loaded foods. My A1C is right on target and my blood sugars are running normal. Good luck with it. You will be surprised at how much better you feel with normal blood sugars. Diabetes is a sneaky disease and you don't realize how bad you were feeling until you start feeling better. It kind of creeps up on you.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Try this first if you haven't already.
    [/quote]

I agree with them.
    I was put on Metformin because of my A1C level. It took about two weeks for me to stop running to the bathroom(and barely making it). Even after that the thought of food was revolting for a LONG time. I lived on toast with PB. That's worn off now though, I don't think it does much for my appetite any longer.
  • tessaeve
    tessaeve Posts: 75 Member
    Options

I just wanted to add that I controlled my blood sugars for years with diet alone by doing exactly this. I did eventually have to go to the oral medication, but held it off for many years. I'm hoping to hold off or avoid all together the insulin injections for many more years by watching my diet and taking metformin.
  • rowdylibrarian
    Options
    Thanks, all! I am stepping up my dose over four weeks, per the doctor's orders, so for this first week, I'm taking 500 per day, then increasing it by 500 more each week until I'm up to the 2000 daily in week four. Hopefully that will help. I'm already having lower GI issues (if you know what I mean), but hopefully that will wear off. Food isn't sounding particularly good right now for the most part, so that's probably not a bad side effect. lol Thanks for the info!!!

P.S. Gark! I wish I had seen that warning about ice cream about 30 minutes ago. >Licks the last little bit off her lips< I hadn't had any mint chocolate chip for quite some time, and it just sounded really good. :sick:
  • Naaak0628
    Options
    3 years ago a doctor prescribed Metformin for me and within 4 months I developed a uterine tumor. I was immediately taken off of Metformin and told never to take it again. I know that it's a very rare side effect, but be sure to keep going to the doctor and getting checked. This my sound silly, but I was sent to a chiropractor and my PCOS cleared up, lost weight, and began to have regular periods. After my experience I just take medication as a last resort. Avoid medication if possible. Best wishes to you!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I was lucky no side effects that I noticed which is a whole lot like no side effects. I just started on it 8 days ago and I didn't get a warning, now I am not sure if that was a good thing or not. I would have liked one I think. But, then I would have worried. And it would have been for nothing. But, still...
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I take the extended-release version after dinner. I haven't had any stomach issues whatsoever, other than a couple brief periods of tolerable, low-grade nausea (no vomiting) the first week.

I try to make sure I have a full stomach when I take it. If that isn't possible (like on vacation when schedules are goofy), I try to drink a full glass of water or milk with it. There have been quite a few times I took it on an empty stomach, and I was fine. Maybe I just have an iron stomach. :)

Ask your doctor for the XR version if you continue to feel sick. I only take 500mg since it's for insulin resistance, but my doctor said none of his patients on the XR version have complained of side effects.
  • rowdylibrarian
    Options
    Yikes! The uterine tumor sounds scary! Sorry that happened to you!! I don't have PCOS ( or at least I don't think I do), and I had to have an early hysterectomy at ago 38, so hopefully no PCOS-like things will happen.

I'll definitely keep taking it with food. I heard that they won't prescribe the extended-release unless you absolutely can't tolerate the regular kind, partially because the XR isn't quite as effective. I guess we'll wait and see.

Does your stomach have to be uber full to minimize the threat, or just have food in it? For example, if I have a bowl of regular old cereal with milk for breakfast, will that work? Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think you might be okay with just the cereal and milk. Milk is effective at absorbing medicine, and pill bottles sometimes say, "Take with food or milk". You don't have to eat a ton. :) Granted, I take the XR version, so you may find you need more food on your tummy.