Rant - Read at your own risk

Options
Okay, I'm just in a ranting mood. I am pointing fingers at no one in particular (I've been on this site all of 9 hours, so I don't know anyone yet). If you are annoyed by what I'm about to say, then stop reading and go find something else to do. :)

So my rant has to do with calories. I've never bothered counting them before, and decided to give it a month and see how it goes. I cook almost everything from scratch, so it's going to take a time investment to get recipes entered and figure out how much of a dish I actually eat, but whatever... I figured it would be interesting and informative, and I may or may not keep it up after a month.

Anyhow, I'm just a little puzzled at why many people don't seem to realize that calories are not created equal. That, and caloric intake vs. calories burned is only part of the picture.

So let me take the calories are not created equal point. Calories in white pasta are not the same as calories in whole grain pasta. Pizza made from whole wheat and topped with veggies is not the same as pizza with a white flour crust topped with pepperoni. The fat in avocados is not the same as the fat in sour cream. Canola oil is almost always bad (since it is almost always genetically modified--which is another totally different topic), whereas coconut oil (which is saturated) actually stimulates and boosts the metabolism.

Add to that the fact that when you get a craving, it's not that you are actually craving a pizza or spaghetti, but you either craving nutrients. The problem is that your body is probably addicted to the additives and such in the food (ever watched Supersize Me? If you do, you'll know what I mean). So it feels a craving and interprets it as one of those addicting foods. So you eat the food, but you aren't nutritionally satisfied. So you eat too much. If you were to eat something very nutritionally dense, you would probably eat fewer calories yet feel more satisfied.

Then there is the issue of calories consumed vs calories burned. I already mentioned that coconut oil boosts the metabolism, which makes it an excellent source of fat. The idea is that if you use it in place of (not in addition to) other sources of fat, you will burn more calories after that meal. If you eat breakfast, you will boost your metabolism so that you burn more calories. If you get enough sleep, you will have more energy, and therefore burn more calories just by more active than you would otherwise, not to mention that sleep itself seems to make a difference.

I could go on and on (this is a rant, after all), but I guess I've gotten it off my chest, so I'll stop. I just bought bathroom scales, so I'm going to see what I can do in a month. :) That, and measurements, since I know weight isn't everything either.

Replies

• cakegobbler
    cakegobbler Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You are all sorted then. Good luck on your journey.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Now we are back to the fact that it is calories in - calories burned = weight loss!!!! :drinker:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Hope that helped you. :happy:
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Then....carry on!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    never mind!!

I deleted my comment as it might have been a little rude.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Some advice since you are new - if you aren't looking for any advice or discussion, this would be better as a blog post.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You are getting weight loss confused with nutrition.

Weight loss is a calorie deficit.... Period

Nutrition is a different thing all together. Without nutrients our body doesn't function properly. There are people that can eat junk food in moderation lose weight and there are people who can lose weight entirely on junk as long as they burn more then the eat. Most people, won't get full off junk food so will over eat it, and most people get addicted to it, so for most people it's best to eat whole, fiber rich, minimally processed food, because its non addictive, more filling, and more satisfying.

A lot of people on here care solely about losing weight. Everyone should do what works for them. As for me, I try to eat calories at deficit to lose weight, and I try to eat those calories with the most amount of nutrients and the least amount of processing, but that is a personal preference.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    {{eye roll}}
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Calories in - calories out. It's not that hard.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    are you assuming that everyone learns about food and nutrition? Because that's just not true.

Anyway...Looks like you already know everything you need to know! About nutrition anyway. Best of luck with reaching your goal weight!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Some advice since you are new - if you aren't looking for any advice or discussion, this would be better as a blog post.

This.

I like pizza so I eat it. Those calories are superior then broccoli calories, so you are right, not all calories are equal.
  • Bmajhor
    Bmajhor Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You are getting weight loss confused with nutrition.

Weight loss is a calorie deficit.... Period

Nutrition is a different thing all together. Without nutrients our body doesn't function properly. There are people that can eat junk food in moderation lose weight and there are people who can lose weight entirely on junk as long as they burn more then the eat. Most people, won't get full off junk food so will over eat it, and most people get addicted to it, so for most people it's best to eat whole, fiber rich, minimally processed food, because its non addictive, more filling, and more satisfying.

A lot of people on here care solely about losing weight. Everyone should do what works for them. As for me, I try to eat calories at deficit to lose weight, and I try to eat those calories with the most amount of nutrients and the least amount of processing, but that is a personal preference.

Well Stated :)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I hope it felt good because soon the law of thermodynamics is coming to getcha. :)
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has read the same info about nutrition. There is a lot of old info out there despite the fact that there is new science.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I didn't think about the blog. Maybe I should just take this down and post it there. Not sure how to do that. If someone does it for me (take it down), I won't mind; it's out of my system anyhow. :) Now I can be nice and civil for the rest of my time here. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Okay well since you've got it all figured out then. . . :flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This.

I like pizza so I eat it. Those calories are superior then broccoli calories, so you are right, not all calories are equal.

Also this. :laugh: I had pizza for dinner actually. It was delicious.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Lost 20 pounds. Ate fast food twice or more a week while doing so.

*shrug*
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

whereas coconut oil (which is saturated) actually stimulates and boosts the metabolism.

I already mentioned that coconut oil boosts the metabolism, which makes it an excellent source of fat.
    The idea is that if you use it in place of (not in addition to) other sources of fat, you will burn more calories after that meal.

If you eat breakfast, you will boost your metabolism so that you burn more calories.

Sources?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Lost 20 pounds. Ate fast food twice or more a week while doing so.

*shrug*

Past 3 weeks I've had pizza, cookies, ice cream and such. Lost 2lbs. :D