Questions for American folks...

Options

Replies

• audreys03
    audreys03 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This is the one I learned as a kid, still have to sing the song if I need to name all the states for some reason. tho I have never had to name all the states except to teach someone the song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALhEGiA5k5I

Now learning this one would be impressive tho I think this song is outdated
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkpDV6i37jY
  • khall627
    khall627 Posts: 47
    Options
    I still remember the 50 States song I learned in 5th grade. The problem now is that, if I want to remember all of them, I have to sing it to myself and I feel like a dork. :laugh:

"fifty nifty united states from 13 original colonies" --- same one???

Yes! We had to sing this for chorus when I was in 5th grade. I sing the song to remember too, pauses and all (i.e. California, Colorado...Connecticut ***dun dun dun*** Delaware, Florida...etc.) :laugh:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Yep, I learned them and it helps that my daughter is learning about them in school now :laugh:
    Capitals would be more of a challenge.
    Also, couldn't tell you when all the "territories" became states.
    I did enjoy geography in high school as well.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yep learned them back in about 1st or 2nd grade if remember correctly. Pretty sure at one point I knew all of the capitals as well, but I'd have to think about it to name them now...
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I learned them in 5th grade. I remember the test, they gave us a map with numbers in each state and then we had to write the state and capital that matched where each number was on the map. Don't remember being taught a song though.

edit: looked up the songs people have listed and none of them ring a bell. It would have been helpful though. I just had people quiz me constantly and made flash cards.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I learned States and Capitols in 4th grade. I can still name all the states (and I know where they all are on the map, too), but not capitols. I think I could name 10 of the capitols now.

We also learned all the presidents, in order. And I could still name them a few years ago but no idea if I can now. I got out of a final in college for being able to name all the presidents in order (on the spot, we didn't get time to study or look it over. the professor didn't think anyone could do it, 2 of us in class did) :)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    If you're ever bored, and want to practice, try this game. It can be challenging even for us Yanks ;-)

http://www.addictinggames.com/puzzle-games/50states.jsp

Scored an 82 with an average error of 72 miles. I got most of them right but was just a hairrrr off!

Got a 92 with an average error of 11 miles. But then again I'm a cartographer. LOL
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I can sing them in alphabetical order. My nephew knew all of the capitols when he was 4.

I wish I could still do the countries of the world song but I forgot that long ago.
  • sondrawolfe
    sondrawolfe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you're ever bored, and want to practice, try this game. It can be challenging even for us Yanks ;-)

43 Perfect 444 Seconds Score 84.31 Average Error 27 miles.

I learned them in school, but knew locations of most from mapping dealers at work.

Taught my daughter states and capitals when she was 5. We were quizzing one day and I asked her the capital of Maine, my almost 2 year old son piped up with "Augusta!" lol Didn't know he was paying that much attention.
  • kepirus
    kepirus Posts: 79
    Options

46 out of 51 . . . 442 seconds . . . Avg Error = 9 miles!!! {disclaimer: I teach World History and AP Human Geography :-)}

(freerice.com has a Countries of the World quiz that I like, but not a States of the US)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Yep - and I can even draw a basic map.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    learned all the states in alphabetical order in a song in about 4th grade...can still sing it....and yes, its been my silly bar trick more than once :happy:
    This and we had to know the capitals... there was no song for those. I have forgotten many but... my phone has Google :bigsmile:
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    My kids come to me knowing them really well in 6th grade. They know the NAMES. I have a game called GeoBoxing that helps them learn where they are. They get really good and competitive by the end of the year. It's pretty funny.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    At one time or another during elementary school we had to learn all the states and capitol.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I still remember the 50 States song I learned in 5th grade. The problem now is that, if I want to remember all of them, I have to sing it to myself and I feel like a dork. :laugh:

"fifty nifty united states from 13 original colonies" --- same one???

I learned that one, too…

I really hope it doesn't say something about how old we are? :tongue: :laugh:
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Yep, got them all drilled into us in alphabetical order. Had projects about them in fourth grade. Also had to pinpoint them on a map and name their capital cities. Some might surprise you. Like Harrisburg, PA, instead of Philadelphia.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My 5 and 6 year old know them. Of course, they've been to about 35 of them or so.

Oh, and yes, I can too. :happy:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Some might surprise you. Like Harrisburg, PA, instead of Philadelphia.

I'm always shocked when people get the capital of New York correct :wink:
  • 5n0wbal1
    Options

46 perfect, score 90.19, average error 12 miles, in 327 seconds. It helps that I've been to a lot of these places.
  • 5n0wbal1
    Options
    Some might surprise you. Like Harrisburg, PA, instead of Philadelphia.

I'm always shocked when people get the capital of New York correct :wink:

Albany!