Burning Bras good for bouncing Boobs

Options

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    weirdly enough, my entire existance doesn't revolve around being sexy for men and my entire reason for wearing a bra isn't that it will break my heart if when i'm fifty some prat thinks i'm too saggy.

guys who tell us not to wear bras? i would like to hang 1 pound weights off their scrotums, tell them to go for a jog and see just how comfortable and practical it is.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    That study also said something about not being a close representative of the population. They probably used very small breasted women.

Never the less, I go braless probably more often than I wear one.

Hiya.

Oh, and...I'm Cris Anderson, and I approve this topic.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    weirdly enough, my entire existance doesn't revolve around being sexy for men and my entire reason for wearing a bra isn't that it will break my heart if when i'm fifty some prat thinks i'm too saggy.

guys who tell us not to wear bras? i would like to hang 1 pound weights off their scrotums, tell them to go for a jog and see just how comfortable and practical it is.

*Pssst!*

Just a friendly bit of info here...despite my intentionally humorous previous post...most of us don't care whether you do, or don't wear a bra.

Just sayin :).
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9987571/Research-suggests-bras-do-no-good.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2307278/Women-better-bras-say-scientists-took-FIFTEEN-YEARS-inspect-womens-breasts.html
    http://now.msn.com/bras-actually-hurt-boobs-says-15-year-study
    http://www.thelocal.fr/page/view/breasts-better-off-without-bras-french-study#.UWXMSibn8dU

Ok, before you shoot the messenger, these are a few of the article links I found on the subject. And, according to the last article:

Rouillon sought to emphasise the provisional nature of his data.

“These are preliminary results,” Dr. Rouillon said. “The small sample of 320 young women is not representative of the entire population – that would require something like 300,000 subjects.”

However, Dr. Rouillon did confirm that the initial data indicated that when young women stopped wearing a bra, there was no disimprovement in the orientation of their breasts, and in fact, there was widespread improvement.

“Of course, this is not the only factor to consider when deciding whether or not wear a bra – for example, many women simply find them very comfortable, especially in winter,” Rouillon acknowledged.

Ultimately, however, he feels his work is not complete, since the findings are not definitive.

“We will simply have to recruit a larger sample of the female population, and conduct further research,” Rouillon added.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    as the women involved were not a representative sample of the population
    great study! it couldn't be that women who didn't wear bras were those who didn't feel like their breasts were heavy & uncomfortable without them... women whose breasts wouldn't have sagged as much whatever they wore.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Some French guy told you it's good for your health to go braless. Sounds legit.
  • glovepuppet
    Options

*Pssst!*

Just a friendly bit of info here...despite my intentionally humorous previous post...most of us don't care whether you do, or don't wear a bra.

i have pms and i'm enjoying being cranky.

shoo!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    There is very little that would convince me to give up my bras.
  • shellymeister
    shellymeister Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have heard that in general, since your breasts are being supported all the time, the muscles aren't working and they lose their strength. However, in situations where they will be bouncing around (such as exercising), a sports bra should be worn because all of the stress on the muscles can be too much and can also cause premature sagging.

so basically, where a good bra to the gym and when you're at home let those girlies breath!
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    God no... Running up stairs is enough to make me say no to this haha
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    great study! it couldn't be that women who didn't wear bras were those who didn't feel like their breasts were heavy & uncomfortable without them... women whose breasts wouldn't have sagged as much whatever they wore.

Just playing devil's advocate, but at least he was up-front about the limitations/parameters of his empirical data. Would you rather he lied?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    popcorncat_zps945c7c10.gif
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    If I'm home I walk around braless, but I can't do it in public. I've got the sag :p
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and have worn a bra much of my life. I nursed 2 babies. I don't consider myself very large, 34C so there is enough there to sag. In my opinion how likely you are to sag has a lot to do with genetics. All the women in my family have pretty densely muscled breasts. We don't really sag even on into our 60s and 70s. We range from AA to DD and varying ages. While I notice some amount of change as I've aged I still don't sag and can go braless and even topless without looking bad. I don't think I could handle running or aerobics without a bra.

I have to question this study since I too remember pictures of the topless African women who could tuck them into their waistbands. I figure you should do what works for you. Remember, the French also don't seem to believe in shaving their pits and legs yet we still do it. We don't have to copy what the French do.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I have heard that in general, since your breasts are being supported all the time, the muscles aren't working and they lose their strength. However, in situations where they will be bouncing around (such as exercising), a sports bra should be worn because all of the stress on the muscles can be too much and can also cause premature sagging.

so basically, where a good bra to the gym and when you're at home let those girlies breath!

Breasts aren't made of muscle. There are pectoral muscles underneath but your breasts are made up of glandular tissue and fat (of varying percentages).
  • crisanderson27
    Options

*Pssst!*

i have pms and i'm enjoying being cranky.

shoo!

Ahhh! Well then miss, for the health and safety of those lucky enough to share their lives with you...please, continue!

:flowerforyou:

:)
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    wear a bra !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^
  • glovepuppet
    Options

Just playing devil's advocate, but at least he was up-front about the limitations/parameters of his empirical data. Would you rather he lied?
    i would rather he didn't publish the 'results' of a study carried out so poorly that the results are meaningless, as everyone knows that the media will print the headliner and a lot of people will assume it must be true.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If I had small breasts, I would never wear a bra if I could help it....maybe just a shelf cami to keep the nips in...BUT at a 36DDD, I don't think it would be good for me. If I don't wear a bra to bed, I have trouble sleeping.....it is bad :(
  • weffie11
    weffie11 Posts: 91
    Options
    Strange isn't it that the study's by a man!

Research by the University of Portsmouth (UK) shows that breasts can move 8inches (yes, that's 8 inches) when doing high impact exercise and that this is reduced significantly by a good supportive bra. I, for one, wouldn't want mine to be swinging in 8 inch circles when I was running!!!