people always commenting on your diet?

Options
does anyone else find that when people know you're on a diet or trying to lose weight, they CONSTANTLY comment any time you're eating? at work if i have anything not healthy, like a two finger kit kat (at 107 calories, not breaking the bank) i get at least one comment of 'oo, i thought you were on a diet' with a sneery face, or 'that within your calories is it?'
only so many times i can say 'yes it is' and getting a disbelieving look in return
and then when i have a cup a soup they roll their eyes and say it's not enough food for lunch.

it's not like i have 1100 calories made up of chocolate and one cup a soup a day - i eat well, spread my food out throughout the day and have a small amount of the tasty/cravy things to stop me going nuts.

i've been steadily losing weight since january (192 pounds down to 168) doing what i'm doing - why do they feel the need to comment?!

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Sorry you have to deal with these painful people. Maybe make a comment about their food in return everyday and see how they like it.
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think people need to comment because they don't "get it" it is annoying, though isn't it? I agree either I am eating "too little" or "depriving" myself or making everyone gasp when I have a piece of chocolate, lol. You would think my weight loss would be proof enough that I know what I'm doing :)

Just can't win with others, so I just ignore them.
  • ozonenrhia1
    Options
    I am sorry hun:( I know it stinks but smile and tell them you probably eat healthier than them so they should concern themselves with what they eat:)
  • muddynicola
    muddynicola Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've had the comments. My Dad says I'm on a see food diet 'she sees food and she eats it' but what he doesn't understand is I am eating more mass but fewer calories and I need to keep eating small meals but it's like explaining particle physics to a dog. Then there's the friend that takes it as personal insult that I chose to drink slimline tonic, I don't understand why it offends her that I don't want to drink 200 calories in one cup when I could easily cut it to under 10.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think people need to comment because they don't "get it" it is annoying, though isn't it? I agree either I am eating "too little" or "depriving" myself or making everyone gasp when I have a piece of chocolate, lol. You would think my weight loss would be proof enough that I know what I'm doing :)

Just can't win with others, so I just ignore them.

You make a valid point! If you get those looks I would probably say- so how much weight have you lost to have that idea?

I would like to add that I am on day 3, that is why I have not lost any yet ;)
  • silmarilliane
    silmarilliane Posts: 133 Member
    Options

i also sit next to someone who lost 5 stone and kept it off through protein shakes and becoming a weight lifter, who says i'm making excuses if i say i don't want to go to the gym with her (i'm a home exercise dvd and running person)

funnily i was speaking to someone yesterday who's really thin, and she worries about going out and not eating in case people think she's anorexic, or eating too much as she gets comments about where she puts it, or how it's unfair that she's so thin!!

can't win
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I get people telling me "one piece of cake won't hurt you" or this or that won't hurt now and then...they are right. But sometimes a little taste of something bad will make me start craving it...so I just bite my tongue while they eat their fries covered in cheese and gravy and eat my salad and chicken and admire how far I have come and how they complain about how they want to lose weight and they walked this night or that night, but still are eating like crap....Whatever...I will just do what I am doing and try to mind my own business...
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    I get that a lot too at work. But I always say I'm not on a diet I'm making a lifestyle change. And tell them that everyone is on a diet some people's diets are good and some peoples diets are bad. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. You need to have your treats every once in a while if you don't you will feel deprived and that is not a way to live.

Congratulations on your weight loss and for finding something that works for you. Most likely those people are jealous that you are doing so well and (Gasp) candy bar!
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    That's one reason I'm relucant to tell people I'm trying to lose weight...
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I usually try to educate people on my eating habits, calories, IIFYM, etc.
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when people are like that I try to be as off-putting as they are. To the point it makes them uncomfortable. I get a weird thrill out of it.

co-worker: "You need to eat more. What health kick is this?"
    me: "It's not. I'm just making better choices"
    co-worker: "Well it really seems like you're on a crazy diet. You only brought meat, vegetables, fruit and nuts. You need more."
    me: "What I brought is plenty. I'm just trying to be less fat."
    co-worker: "You're not fat- you need to eat more"
    me: "If you knew my weight, my health or anything about me you'd know this is long over-due. Would you like to phone my doctor to discuss this?"
    co-worker: "oh- I didn't mean. That's too personal..."
    me: "well it wasn't stopping you a minute ago when you announced that I'm on a 'crazy diet'. Why stop now?"

And now she NEVER talks to me about my food/my weight or anything that revolve around her opinions. Just the way I like it :)
  • dcyr009
    dcyr009 Posts: 93
    Options
    I get, "you look too skinny and need to put weight back on and you must be starving yourself". They also say, "you can start eating normal again." I don't starve myself and I'm in the middle of my BMI which is not under weight. The thing is I eat healthier now then I did when I was 86 pounds heavier. When I was very heavy eating lots of fattening junk food with very little nutrition, no one said a thing.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    my interaction with people is limited to minors and the occasional visit to my mother in laws for some great southern food, who is
    pretty considerate, usually having healthier choices available. once in awhile my kids will tell me i shouldn't have such and such,
    but most of the time they wouldn't notice if I ate 4 bowls of spaghetti in front of them. if they do make a comment there's a reminder
    about it's ok to eat non less than healthy foods in moderation, or a thank you for helping keep me on track, bc i've told them to
    tell me these things.

short answer no, but sometimes that would be a good thing for me.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    No, because I don't go around telling people I'm dieting or "trying to eat healthy". They can't have an opinion if you don't tell them.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Food is a big issue with MANY people. Too much, too little, fatty foods, only vegetables, etc. A lot of how it is viewed comes from your past. As an adult it is one of the few things you can 100% control. When you were little and someone put spinach in front of you and said eat it, mostly you did, because you were told to, even if you hated spinach (put your own ick food in there).
    Anyway, most people who comment care - maybe not about you per se, but for them food is an issue in one way or another. There are tons of sarcastic, snide or rude remarks that one can make to keep this from happening, but it is easiest to say "thanks for your concern, but I am good." If they continue then feel free to tell them to bugger off - cause what goes into your body affects them in no way.
    Mostly if it is someone who really cares about you then you can explain a little more - ie, if I eat this little kit kat it keeps me from eating that whole bag of M&M's and I have made this fit into my count today, but thanks for your concern!
    People want to put in their 2 cents worth on everything. keep your sense of humor and just let it roll off like water on a ducks wing!
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I tend to just be like "eh, whatever, it tastes good" and that usually shuts them up. They tend to laugh! A friend brought me some chocolates yesterday and I was like "aww thanks, but I can only have one" and she seemed a little hurt. She's on WW and I think it made her feel guilty :/
  • mb0215
    mb0215 Posts: 20
    Options
    One coworker always says *kitten* like "You've lost so much weight, you're almost anorexic." i've lost 50 pounds in a year and a half. I eat a lot. I just ate some french fries! I just eat way less than i used to and I work out almost every day. And I make much healthier choices (yogurt, fish, tofu, kale and brussels sprouts are staples now) and haven't eaten red meat or chicken in 2 years...

Weight loss eludes so many people for so long that those people will try to pick at you or trip you up, consciously or subconsciously. You know your body and you know if you are making choices within your plan. Eff everybody else.

Coworkers are the worst and sometimes I just eat away from their annoying eyes...good luck.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    No, because I don't go around telling people I'm dieting or "trying to eat healthy". They can't have an opinion if you don't tell them.

I'm not even dieting and people still have opinions sometimes.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I recently (like last week lol) switched over to working 1st shift from 3rd shift where I had literally been the only female for the entire 2.5 yrs I worked on the shift. I usually would bring something light consisting of veggies or fruit just because I don't like to eat heavy at 2 am. So whenever I brought or ate something different like meat for instance, the guys would always give me crap. I knew they were joking but it does get old after awhile and at one point it got so I didn't like eating in front of them so much any more.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I started a new job around the same time I got serious about trying to lose weight again, to coincide with that and a lot of other major changes in my life. So my coworkers don't know any different.

I do get ribbed about not eating what the others do at gaming nights, though. It's really annoying. Luckily, our DM is also into healthy eating, so at least there's two of us.