When do you weigh, and why?

Options

Replies

• AmandaMarie916
    AmandaMarie916 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I know you're not suppose to weigh in everyday but I don't care. I weigh in every morning. It motivates me. If that number goes up instead of down I say Oh no you don't.. and kick butt all day everyday until that number drops down again.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after going to the bathroom. My official weigh in (the one I record no matter if I am up, down, or stayed the same) is Friday Mornings. That way I can be freer on the weekends with calories and sodium but still see as 'true' a weight loss as possible.
  • lauramcconnell7535
    lauramcconnell7535 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on Sundays when I wake up (after the washroom and before I eat or drink anything). I work shifts and they can play havoc on the normal fluctuations. I find if I stick to that pattern I get the best results. Sometimes I will get on the scale on other mornings when I'm curious, but always on Sundays.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Saturday mornings after going to the toilet, before exercise or food.
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Once a month.

At my drs office, first thing before I head to the gym.

I can't take the daily or weekly fluctuations. Freaks me out.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after I pee and before I get dressed, but I only record my weight on Fridays.
  • backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I weight in Monday mornings, as I find it keeps me accountable throughout the weekend so that I don't cheat. Weighing in once a week keeps me in line, and I don't obsess over the fluctuations. I also take my measurements on the 6th of every month (no specific reason for the 6th, just the first day I took measurements). But it's nice to see 4 or 5 inches gone every month. Months that I don't lose inches, I usually know why and it helps me to fix it the next month..
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but only record it on Wednesdays. I chose Wednesdays because if I have overdone it a bit over the weekend, I have a good couple of days for the bloat to go away.
  • buldawgnd
    buldawgnd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day in the morning just after I get up before I get dressed. There was a study done (sorry I cant remember the university) where two groups one weighed once a week the other weighed every day. The group who weighed every day had lost a statistically significant more amount than those who weighed weekly. The thinking was that the small daily losses you observe serves as motivation to stay on the diet and not cheat. I know it works for me.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    i check each night before i go to bed, and each morning when i wake up.

the only one that counts is the monday morning weigh in.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    A trainer told me that it's best to weigh first thing in the morning and BEFORE a workout. She said something about your blood volume increasing after a workout or something like that which makes you weigh more (plus all the water you drink).
    I have been told the same thing. I weigh myself Monday morning before I go to my workout class. That is the only weigh-in I count as "official" each week. I will do other weigh-ins but mostly to see things like "how much weight did I loose during that run".
  • thinking_thinly
    thinking_thinly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but I only log when my weight goes down... so if you were to see my progress chart it looks like stair steps but in reality would be zig zag's up and down by several ounces.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but only record a loss. I don't recommend this for everyone, but it works for me. Women, especially, can fluctuate greatly depending on our time of the month. I found that when I weighed in weekly, I was getting frustrated when all my hard work wasn't showing on the scale. Weighing daily, I get to see the losses. (I also get to see what poor eating does, as well.)
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the morning, whenever I remember to.
  • kMcMahan2010
    Options
    I don't have a scale at my house (which is probably a good thing, or I would end up weighing myself every time I went into the bathroom). So I use my mom's scale. Every two weeks on Saturday (I weighed myself yesterday, so next time will be May 4). I get up and use the restroom, and hang around my house for a bit, get dressed and all that. Then walk to mom's and weigh myself and then eat breakfast (unless I got up really late and it's close to lunch time, then I skip breakfast and just eat lunch).
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily in the morning after using the bathroom. I have an excel spreadsheet open that I use to chart it, so I can see what the overall pattern is. Weight fluctuations don't bother me, as long as the overall trend is going down, I'm good. I add weights to MFP when I remember/feel like it.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I weigh first thing in the morning after the bathroom and in my undies. Why? This way the weight of clothing and the contents of my stomach, bladder, and large intestine don't interfere with the number on the scale. (I'm odd like that. LOL)

I also try to weigh once a week, but have been doing it less often.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    Hi! I started trying to lose weight officially April 2nd weighing in at 220 lbs. I weighed in this morning ar 206 lbs. I use to weigh myself like every hour but I recently got a new more expensive scale so I keep it up away from my kids so its less convenient for me to weigh everytime I go into the kitchen. Its really motivating for me to see my weight as it is now so I don't continue to go to that cupboard for a cookie or whatever. I do however only log my weight every Wednesday. I dont think I could go a whole week withoout weighing myself!
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, first thing in the morning. I often weigh in the evening, too. I like to see the little fluctuations so I know they are normal and really don't mean anything. I try to only let myself update my weight on MFP on Mondays and Fridays though if I get a big loss on another day that sets a new low for me I might log that, too. As long as the general trend is downward it's all a-ok. :flowerforyou:
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I find I'm lightest around 11am, so I weigh myself every day as close to that time as I can get, no clothes and no food in me. I usually go back to bed after my girls go to school so that's usually not a problem.

I like seeing the trend and have a chart on www.physicsdiet.com so I can see the trend is going the right way.