what is with this fascination with these workouts like 30DS?

Options
katy_trail
katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
now i was never a total beginner even when i was just starting out, but the workout just seems so basic and repetitive.
same for many of the other workouts i see people claiming are just awesome.

Replies

• diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Beach season starts, conveniently, in roughly thirty days.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If you were never a total beginner, then you don't have the right to judge people who are just starting out. These workouts are great for people who do not have access to a gym but want to be more physically active. They are fun cardio workouts that you can do at home. Some people don't enjoy running, biking, etc. but do like aerobics or dancing. If you don't like them, you don't have to do them.
  • diolpah
    Options
    Profile photo is apt.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    Profile photo is apt.

lol, hadn't thought of that, i use this one often.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try it? Just because something LOOKS easy does not mean it is not. Running looks easy as well.... very repetitive...actually that's ALL it is....yet people do it day after day after day.

I have not done 30DS mainly cause I do not want to or need to because I have my Zumba as well as my running, walking & my Walk at Home.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    If you were never a total beginner, then you don't have the right to judge people who are just starting out. These workouts are great for people who do not have access to a gym but want to be more physically active. They are fun cardio workouts that you can do at home. Some people don't enjoy running, biking, etc. but do like aerobics or dancing. If you don't like them, you don't have to do them.

i exercise at home too, never in a 'gym'. I like dvd's too, i'm just picky about my instructors.
    i understood and expected it wouldn't be challenging for me, i just thought it would be more interesting.
    and jillian gives these compliments as we go through the workout, for doing things that are way too easy for me,
    so it's total turn off, but I understand if it was challenging, i would like that.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    i did try each of the stages once, and still don't understand how people can constantly post they are going to do it for 30 days straight, the same workout dvd.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Have you done 30 day shred? I :heart: it. I enjoy this and weight lifting. It is quick to do and I don't really enjoy running.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

i exercise at home too, never in a 'gym'. I like dvd's too, i'm just picky about my instructors.
    i understood and expected it wouldn't be challenging for me, i just thought it would be more interesting.
    and jillian gives these compliments as we go through the workout, for doing things that are way too easy for me,
    so it's total turn off, but I understand if it was challenging, i would like that.

I personally don't do Hip Hop Abs for a challenge. I do it as light cardio in between lifting days as active recovery, and it fits the bill for me. I can burn about 350-400 calories per DVD according to my HRM, and that's really the point of it for me. If cardio is boring, I won't do it. I personally don't understand the people that slave away on cardio machines at the gym, but that's their choice to do so.
  • oahubeachgirl
    oahubeachgirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i did try each of the stages once, and still don't understand how people can constantly post they are going to do it for 30 days straight, the same workout dvd.

Just like everything else in life "different strokes for different folks!!" Some people enjoy running every day - personally I don't! Some people like mixing it up with a different exercise every day, and some people like DVD's like the 30 DS! I personally enjoyed doing it because I could see myself get stronger each phase and it encouraged me to keep going. (and obviously A LOT of people enjoy the concept of the 30 DS!)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Some are 20 minutes and crazy effective?
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Good consumer research and marketing.Give the people what they want. Its the American way. :)
  • Schann7
    Schann7 Posts: 218
    Options
    30DS...
    - It's quick
    - It can be done at home, in a small space
    - You don't need much equipment
    - It's a great workout for most people
    - It does have quite a few different moves for the amount of time?
    - It has given such great results to so many people... who do it for the time intended.

If it's not for you, then it's not for you.... but the fact that so many people love it and have great results from it, makes me wonder why you're asking?
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I do it, along with other DVD's I have, so its not the same workout day in, day out - and I can't afford to go to the gym, so it helps me to get the exercise I need!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    now i was never a total beginner even when i was just starting out, but the workout just seems so basic and repetitive.
    same for many of the other workouts i see people claiming are just awesome.

So even when you were a beginner, you weren't a beginner?

There goes that whole tabula rasa idea!
  • diolpah
    Options
    So even when you were a beginner, you weren't a beginner?

There goes that whole tabula rasa idea!

A priori fitness. It's totally a thing.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

How heavy were your weights? If you say anything less than 10, that's why.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I personally can't think of anything worse than 30DS (and all the other beach body home-based workouts DVDs). I play sport which is possibly the most variation you can get in a workout, no two games are ever the same. Having said that if the options for people is 30DS or nothing then go right ahead and get shredding. Anything that gets people moving is good I suppose. I'd say these type of products are targeted at people who want quick weight loss results not people training for actual fitness progression or a specific event. I find it a little bit hard to take seriously
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Just because something is basic & repetitive doesn't mean it's easy.
    I haven't done 30DS, but from being a professional dancer for almost 2 decades, I can still always say even a beginning ballet class can be beneficial to anyone who wants to dance but doesn't have time or can't afford a bunch of classes.
    I did recently pick up Ripped in 30, which I guess is like a follow up to 30DS. I just finished week 1. I can see how some people could think it's "basic", but that doesn't mean you can't benefit from it.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Well I don't get people who run/jog or walk the same route every single time. It's boring to me. But you know what..I understand the world has a variety of people who like a variety of activities. People aren't cookie cutter versions of me. What I find boring, others don't. So while the 30DS may be boring or unchallenging to you, it provides an interesting workout for others. Different strokes for different folks. You're expecting people to think like you do. If you realize others aren't just like you, you'll see why the 30DS workout is popular.