Houston, I've a problem!

Options
Hey Folks, I need ur help/advice.

My scale says that I've gained 1 KG since last week.

From 80.4 (`177 pounds) it now reads 81.3 KG (`179 pounds). I do 3X HIIT per week (approx 40 mins each), log what I eat, maintain a healthy diet. I drink approx 4L of water per day.

Possible Explanations:

Water retention - I doubt that theory
Muscle building - 1 KG (`2 pounds) in one week? I doubt that theory too.
Keeping the same routine - No, I frequently change my workout style and exercise patterns.
Hot weather - I live in Chennai, India. I feel as if I am living in an oven. (`40 C / 104 F) = Do ppl weigh more during hot summer?! I don't know.

Where am I going wrong? or am I missing something here?

TIA.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Did you only just start doing this exercise? If you have then it's due to that and will drop soon, it happens at first to some.
  • AdviDaddy
    AdviDaddy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've been doing this for over 3 months now. Shed ~6 pounds in the last 2 months. Hit a plateau but took me almost 5 weeks to break it. After that, I lost one more pound.

Now, the scale shows a 2 pound increase. I am still clueless!! :(
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food accurately and log everything? Oil used in cooking? Sauces? All drinks?
  • ssl444
    ssl444 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Do you log your bodyfat percentage? I find sometimes if my weight isn't going to plan, I might still be losing bodyfat which then means I am losing fat but toning my muscles.
  • Mikemax125
    Mikemax125 Posts: 108
    Options
    You probably need to readjust your macros(fats,protein,carbs) and place emphasis on fiber.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This weekend-increase has never happened before either?

Did you vary your eating pattern? sleep in a bit, skip breakfast, have larger lunch instead - that sort of thing? Because (fair warning: Too Much Information coming up) my digestive system does not respond well to variations in the eating pattern. I don't... go... during the weekend.
  • AdviDaddy
    Options
    Yup. My wife is a dietician. So we are quite conscious of what we eat/how much we eat/when we eat etc.

I took a stock of it all and everything seems fine. I managed to eat a little less than the set calorie limit - on all days. There are not cheat meals and I refrain from eating sugar/sugary items.

Still clueless!! phew !!
  • ssl444
    Options
    Also if your from the UK or can access 4OD on the Internet watch a series called secret eaters, it shows how people can easily under-estimate the calories they are consuming.

Also try eating back your exercise calories, if your not doing this your body might think your starving it of calories and store whatever you do eat - hence a plateau.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I can end up 2kg heavier in a day & then by the following day back to normal. Nobody weighs EXACTLY the same the entire time.
  • AdviDaddy
    Options
    @pink - Haha. no, I am a male.

@ssl - No, I am from India. But I can try that. Will see.

@yks - No, this is the first time. No, my pattern is very much predictable. I don't change my eating/workout habits btn weekdays and weekends.

@Mike - yeah, may be. That's a good idea. Thanks, mate.
  • Mikemax125
    Options
    Anytime man, if you need some tips feel free to message me with questions.
  • AdviDaddy
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories. Even otherwise, I consume approx. 1500 cal/day. Still my body goes in starvation mode? Is that possible?

I am thinking of starting P90X from tomorrow and see if I can 'confuse my muscles'. That's an option I haven't tried yet.
  • Mikemax125
    Options
    What are your stats? 1500 is typically not enough for a male(especially one that is doing any form of training) but its close.
  • ssl444
    Options
    What are your stats? 1500 is typically not enough for a male(especially one that is doing any form of training) but its close.

1500 cals for a man does seem low, you should be aiming for the numbers MFP gives you, as a lady MFP gives me 1200 cals plus each day any exercise calories I earn are added on, don't be afraid to eat up to the calorie numbers MFP gives you as MFP has done all the maths for you and will have given you a defecit each day.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out. That's really the best advice I can give you. Just see what happens next week and the week after. I very much doubt you gained 1 kg of fat in the last week, nor muscle. So that leaves some water weight (4L a day?! That's crazy much), some extra stuff in your intestines, and maybe you stood at a slightly different point of the scale or moved the scale.

I've actually taped a square on the floor where the scale goes, and on the scale taped the exact location where my feet should be because just moving that about can give a pound difference.

To summarize, you've not gained an actual kilo over the week, just impossible, so ignore it as a false reading and see what it says next week.
  • ssl444
    Options
    Don't freak out. That's really the best advice I can give you. Just see what happens next week and the week after. I very much doubt you gained 1 kg of fat in the last week, nor muscle. So that leaves some water weight (4L a day?! That's crazy much), some extra stuff in your intestines, and maybe you stood at a slightly different point of the scale or moved the scale.

I've actually taped a square on the floor where the scale goes, and on the scale taped the exact location where my feet should be because just moving that about can give a pound difference.

To summarize, you've not gained an actual kilo over the week, just impossible, so ignore it as a false reading and see what it says next week.

Very true, my scales and feet have to be exactly the same or I get different readings.
  • AdviDaddy
    Options
    @MissMormie - Its hard to admit that it might be water retention. Well, let's give it another 3 weeks or so and see.

@ssl444 - 1500 is what MFP set for me and I left MFP to do all the calculations.

Let me try P90X and see how I fair after 4 weeks. That should tell me something.

Thank you folks for sharing your ideas. I really appreciate your help. :)
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Have you thought about eating based on your TDEE - 20%. If you are not sure what your TDEE is you can google it and you will see hundreds of websites that will calculate it for you. Minus 20% from your TDEE, this will give you a good amount of cals to eat and hopefully produce a steady fat loss. You may find it a bit more gentle than only eating 1500 calories a day.
  • AdviDaddy
    Options
    Have you thought about eating based on your TDEE - 20%. If you are not sure what your TDEE is you can google it and you will see hundreds of websites that will calculate it for you. Minus 20% from your TDEE, this will give you a good amount of cals to eat and hopefully produce a steady fat loss. You may find it a bit more gentle than only eating 1500 calories a day.

Though I workout 3 times a week, I calculated for 'sedentary lifestyle'. Calculations show 1500. Hence I stick to that figure. I hover around that figure on any given day.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

Though I workout 3 times a week, I calculated for 'sedentary lifestyle'. Calculations show 1500. Hence I stick to that figure. I hover around that figure on any given day.

What height are you?