is hanging up laundry considered exercise?

Options
I do alot of cleaning at home, and i was wondering is hanging up laundry outside considered a exercise?I know most of you probably use a tumble dryer but in south africa most people hang up there clothes on sunny days

Replies

• Schann7
    Schann7 Posts: 218
    Options
    I wouldn't think so..
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    no.. its not
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    I mean of course you will burn a lil calorie due to it takes energy but I wouldn't add it to your exercise for the day
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was told that everything outside of a normal routine would count. Is it on the database? If not then it probably doesn't burn much. A lot of peeps on my friends list log things like cleaning and food prep though. Personaly I have an active job and it can include anything from cleaning to building a shed to gardening and dog walking. I don't log anything now as I was doing it just to get more cals so I could eat more which isn't a healthy attitute to exersize in my opinion!
  • claudie1981
    Options
    okay thanks just was curious. Its not on the database. well this is week 2 for me, i didnt even realise i was eating my exercise calories till one of my friends told me not to eat them up I do put cleaning as work out even a light one cause i clean a room in my house a day. Its still moving....but shoo carrying those heavy washing baskets out to the line i could feel my heart beating. lol
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    okay thanks just was curious. Its not on the database. well this is week 2 for me, i didnt even realise i was eating my exercise calories till one of my friends told me not to eat them up I do put cleaning as work out even a light one cause i clean a room in my house a day. Its still moving....but shoo carrying those heavy washing baskets out to the line i could feel my heart beating. lol

You should only log cleaning if your activity is set to 'sedentary', if it's set as lightly active then you shouldn't as it will be included already as daily activity.

Honestly, day to day cleaning doesn't get your heart rate up so I wouldn't log it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

if you are using MFPs calorie settings you SHOULD eat exercise cals back.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    also south african :) nope its not.. It might seem tiresome but I wouldn't think to add it as exercise.
  • Gracie1214
    Gracie1214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

I agree with this
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a Fitit, you'll know then exactly how many calories a day you burn whatever job you do.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Exercise cals yes but if she's set as anything but sedentary she shouldn't be counting everyday things such as cleaning as exercise anyway.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Yes, anything besides sleeping is activity that burns more calories ... But you have to set your lifestyle to "sedentary" . A lot of us wear an activity tracking device (fitbit, ups, hrm, nike fuel band or body media or pedometer) as we go about our daily activities and then record it as our activity for the day.

For me, i do ore if i know it counts, and i walk or do yoga, barre3 in 10 to 30 minute s as much as i can during the day, with my 8 to 10 hours a day career, 1 to 3 hours a day music ministry I made the decision to log my food and get in as many steps a day as i could.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    No...
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    i think i'm going to sound really harsh here but...

i suspect your mindset is off and you're cheating yourself, kidding yourself that normal chores count as exercise, if you're really honest with yourself, is it a way to make yourself feel better about not doing enough real exercise? a way to convince yourself that you've earned that extra scoop at dinner?

if so, it'll make you feel better in the short term by making your log look lighter, but in the long term it will make you miserable by holding back your weight loss.
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I do alot of cleaning at home, and i was wondering is hanging up laundry outside considered a exercise?I know most of you probably use a tumble dryer but in south africa most people hang up there clothes on sunny days

Ignore all these jealous amerifats who use tumble dryers they don't know what it's like to do physical tasks. I used to sit down when riding the bus but realised that I can burn more calories if I stand up during the journey. Now I stand up on the way to work and sometimes on the way home too and log those extra calories. I always remember to eat back my exercise calories too
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    No - think of it this way - were you hanging up laundry or cleaning while you were stacking on the weight - if you were it did not stop you from getting fat - so how on earth are those same activities now helping you drop the weight?
  • sjlocklear
    Options
    Cleaning is on the MFP exercise database....
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I used to sit down when riding the bus but realised that I can burn more calories if I stand up during the journey. Now I stand up on the way to work and sometimes on the way home too and log those extra calories. I always remember to eat back my exercise calories too

You log standing up?...
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    It is if you put the washing basket as far from the washing line as possible & hang one item up at a time per trip. Takes me about an hour to hang the washing. I then take it down the same way. With my fitbit I can get about 5-6 thousand steps just doing it each time..... enough that I do work up a sweat cause I'm going so fast. I just had to hang my stuff up inside cause it's raining.... washing at one end of the house...clotheshorse at the other...ONE item at a time. Took me 4000 steps to do half, I'm talking ONE sock, ONE underwear, ONE tshirt, ONE pair of pants..... per trip. So grab ONE...walk to line....hang...walk back empty handed....grab one...walk to line..... you get it now?

ANYTHING can be classed as exercise if you do it right..... you should see me clean the floors.

DO NOT LISTEN to those people who do NOT class it as exercise...... if you do it like I do then it's a bloody workout in itself. I didn't hang washing like that when I was fat.