is hanging up laundry considered exercise?

Options

Replies

• JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    nothing to do here... *runs*
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options

You log standing up?...

The bus is moving and swaying around so it's resistance training
  • claudie1981
    Options
    I havent got a small 1 room place my kitchen is about 172 square feet My lounge and bathroom together are even bigger.... I dont live in one room by myself, i have a family too. lol
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    How many pieces of laundry do you hang up at a time? Are they in a basket at your feet, or a table from which you need to turn in order to put them on the line?

Would you consider that number of toe-touches, or that number of waist twists, exercise?
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    No. And neither is shopping. If you want to log a calorie burn actually set aside time to "work out". Cleaning, Laundry, Cooking, and Shopping don't count. Now, if you garden, shovel snow, detail your car or something else outside of your normal day to day routine I think that's perfectly acceptable to log.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    IThe most frustrating part of exercising.. a mile run burns about 130 calories which I could eat in about 2 seconds! Sigh!

Positive approach: Running 1 mile takes 7-12 minutes for most people depending on your fitness level (To put that in perspective, I do 71/2 minutes per mile for a half marathon, The marathon winners take about 5 minutes per mile). So.. if you run 6 miles (10k) at a 10 minute mile, that's ~800 calories AND an hour in which you aren't eating anything :)

Also, 130 calories is a small amount of full fat cheese but a heck of a lot of fresh crunchy vegetables :)
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    No - think of it this way - were you hanging up laundry or cleaning while you were stacking on the weight - if you were it did not stop you from getting fat - so how on earth are those same activities now helping you drop the weight?

I'd disagree with this completely. Gaining fat, for normal healthy people (meaning no thyroid problems, PCOS, etc), is a matter of eating in excess of your calories burned. You could run 3 hours daily and then go home and eat twice the calories you burned and gain weight, despite the fact that you were exercising quite a bit.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    No - think of it this way - were you hanging up laundry or cleaning while you were stacking on the weight - if you were it did not stop you from getting fat - so how on earth are those same activities now helping you drop the weight?
    ^^smart post.

I AGREE!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

You log standing up?...

The bus is moving and swaying around so it's resistance training

Alright, now I've heard it all.

Guess I better log all that standing I do at work as resistance training because otherwise I'm just cheating my self out of calories.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    What does it matter who logs what as exercise? If you do, and eat some or all of the calories, and lose, great!!
    If you log it, eat some or all, and you don't lose, change it up!

And you should eat at least half of your exercise calories - MFP tends to over-exaggerate the burns.
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    unless it gets your heart rate going and you're sweating and it's physically a push, then no, i wouldn't consider it exercise :) but that goes for anything. my buddy goes to the gym and just wanders around and doesn't do anything and i don't consider that exercise either lol. to me, the activity doesn't matter, it's how hard you exert yourself within that activity.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    unless it gets your heart rate going and you're sweating and it's physically a push, then no, i wouldn't consider it exercise :) but that goes for anything. my buddy goes to the gym and just wanders around and doesn't do anything and i don't consider that exercise either lol. to me, the activity doesn't matter, it's how hard you exert yourself within that activity.
    Again with folks insisting it's all about sweating. I apparently need to stop logging 2-hour-long walks with a full pack, and any work I do on a Gazelle Glider, because they don't make the sweat pour from my brow.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I really don't get logging stuff like this - surely you used to do washing before you started eating properly?
    In my opinion you should only log stuff that you actually need to change your clothes or shoes for, something you planned to do for the specific goal of burning calories.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I once saw someone log "Food Preparation - 3 minutes". I don't think glopping a can of Chef-Boyardee into a bowl and putting in the microwave really qualifies as exercise, but whatever makes you happy, right?
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    NO, what is wrong with people here.
    Lol. Can I log making dinner???

People actually do... :(

I once saw someone log driving. She had gone on a trip and spent the day in the car, and logged cals burned. I couldn't believe it!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I once saw someone log "Food Preparation - 3 minutes". I don't think glopping a can of Chef-Boyardee into a bowl and putting in the microwave really qualifies as exercise, but whatever makes you happy, right?
    :laugh:

i have to laugh because really, youre only cheating yourself
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i think i'm going to sound really harsh here but...

i suspect your mindset is off and you're cheating yourself, kidding yourself that normal chores count as exercise, if you're really honest with yourself, is it a way to make yourself feel better about not doing enough real exercise? a way to convince yourself that you've earned that extra scoop at dinner?

if so, it'll make you feel better in the short term by making your log look lighter, but in the long term it will make you miserable by holding back your weight loss.

LOL on "extra scoop"!
  • claudie1981
    Options
    I wouldnt log preparing supper or doing dishes but but lifting up and carry 2 55 Pound baskets of laundry to the washing line about 100 feet away and then hanging it all up sounds like exercise to me. Ive never logged it in as such. Thats why i asked the question. and for those that say if you used to do it before and put on weight, y would you count it as exercise ... I used to also not count my calories or track my food when i put on weight, and they count.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    okay thanks just was curious. Its not on the database. well this is week 2 for me, i didnt even realise i was eating my exercise calories till one of my friends told me not to eat them up I do put cleaning as work out even a light one cause i clean a room in my house a day. Its still moving....but shoo carrying those heavy washing baskets out to the line i could feel my heart beating. lol

Those activities should be considered when putting in your daily activity level. Virtually no one who isn't bedridden is actually sedentary- if you cook or do chores on a regular basis, you are, at the very least, lightly active. As such, things like cooking and cleaning shouldn't be counted as "exercise". Things you don't do on a regular basis, like heavy duty "spring cleaning" i think are ok, but I personally don't count it. I only count real workouts, not shopping, not cooking, not cleaning (and my laundry room is in the basement- those stairs are a workout for a pregnant lady!).

Rule of thumb: if you did it regularly while gaining weight or before attempting to lose weight, don't log it as exercise.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt log preparing supper or doing dishes but but lifting up and carry 2 55 Pound baskets of laundry to the washing line about 100 feet away and then hanging it all up sounds like exercise to me. Ive never logged it in as such. Thats why i asked the question. and for those that say if you used to do it before and put on weight, y would you count it as exercise ... I used to also not count my calories or track my food when i put on weight, and they count.

Can't you think of it as a bonus?