is hanging up laundry considered exercise?

Options

Replies

• stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    No - think of it this way - were you hanging up laundry or cleaning while you were stacking on the weight - if you were it did not stop you from getting fat - so how on earth are those same activities now helping you drop the weight?

I agree with this. Don't cheat yourself by sneaking in regular activity as exercise. :)
  • claudie1981
    Options
    I've put laundry on a line, and frankly, it's a lot of work. I can't believe my mom did it because she enjoyed it or liked the smell of it or whatever. My arms/shoulders burned to the point I had to stop and rest. It's hard to hold your arms that high for that long...the heavier the clothes, the harder it is. IT IS HARD WORK. (If it's something you do in addition to your regular chores, then log that puppy! If you already counted in your weekly activity level, then perhaps not.)

And....I think you are amazing!

I believe in your arms being strong from increasing your own hard work, not just hanging out at a gym...cutting and hauling our firewood kept my arms and back looking great for years. Homemaking is work--it requires time, effort, attention, and a raised heart-rate. Extra gardening burns calories above my normal activity. I have to eat more when I dig and hoe. That's why a lot of people pay others to do it, or don't do it at all. I add chores and just try to stay more active. That may not be "exercise" to some, but it burns a whole lot more calories than sitting on the computer wasting time too much of the time, eating snacks, which was my problem through an injury last year. Extra housework requires stairs, hauling things, and walking. It shouldn't be all you do, but it can count for part of it. Find the balanced answer here. Are you sorry you asked? LOL

Thanks Joan, it is Hard work.... Ive never counted it before but since its only my 2nd week, i just want to do things right, thats why i asked, I count my Cleaning its better then nothing, I want to start doing more after work 3 times a week.

Lol i am sorry i asked though i have had some great answers.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it. I don't count cleaning as exercise unless I'm scrubbing the floors or tubs or something like that. Just regular cleaning, it's not like it's hard and burning more calories than you would cooking dinner.

Did you not see the posts where people log cooking dinner too? :laugh:
  • claudie1981
    Options
    Really shocked at some of the responses to this we are all in the same boat here trying to be more healthy and active why make fun of people ? Maybe YOU don't count it as exercise ( and that is your right) but surely you can be polite and supportive in your answer isn't that the point of the forums?

I agree thank you
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Just to add I hang approximately 3 loads of washing a day outside in the summer, in the winter it gets hung indoors, I'm in the UK and don't own a dryer. It really isn't hard work.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The same logic that says "if you were doing the activity before, then you shouldn't count it now" would also say that "if you were eating 100 donuts a day before, then you shouldn't count them now." It is simply not good logic. I do have my activity set to sedentary and log many "regular" activities, such as (god forbid) cooking/cleaning, usually if they take at least 15 minutes. Sometimes I don't count them - if I don't feel at all like I rushed around during cooking or moved much during cleaning, I don't count it. By the way I am counting, I am trying to accurately track BOTH calories in and calories out as much as possible and as makes sense to me. So far, my chosen method is working for me.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Really shocked at some of the responses to this we are all in the same boat here trying to be more healthy and active why make fun of people ? Maybe YOU don't count it as exercise ( and that is your right) but surely you can be polite and supportive in your answer isn't that the point of the forums?

No. We are not all in the same boat. Some people take their health seriously and don't try and fool themselves into believing that they're doing more than they are, while also not taking themselves too seriously. When you start calling anything other than sitting on the couch exercise, you start overestimating your calorie burn. The inevitable result is failure to lose weight, and often a post about how counting calories doesn't work.

Are some people needlessly "laughing" in their responses? Perhaps they are. But let it go. I've certainly laughed at a number of my own mistakes over the years. It's part of making the learning process less painful.

So because the OP is asking a question, a valid one at that, and is trying to learn, she's not taking her health seriously? Seems like a bit of a pompous statement if you ask me.

No. I did not say that, but thank you so much for the personal attack without reading my second paragraph.

If you're angry at the posters providing criticism then perhaps a walk is in order. It will help you reach your goals and reduce the anger and stress.

Good luck with your journey.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Thank you! I've just joined-well, joined but only started actually doing this 2days ago. This is the first forum question I've read and am very disappointed with peoples behavior. Just be honest and supportive.

It's probably a fair amount of work lifting baskets of wet clothes and hanging them. Log it and if you find you're not loosing, stop logging it. Good Luck.

Don't let a few rude posts give the impression that most people here aren't nice. Some MFP'ers are blunt but a lot of what they say is true. As for the ones who make fun of people... being on a internet forum allows people to say what they want, even if it's insensitive because they're sitting in front of a computer and not looking the person in the face. Don't let them get to you. Most people here are kind and supportive.

Feel free to add me if you like. :)
  • BeachIron
    Options
    OP, at the end of the day, if it works for you then do it. If it doesn't reassess and stop counting those activities. Personally, I think it's better to overestimate your calories consumed and underestimate your calories burned (*if you are starting the process overweight) so that you see some success in the beginning. The frustration of failure often leads people to quit and it's best to avoid this.

* Not everyone here is here for the same reasons. There are plenty of ED folks struggling to overcome body image issues and actually gain weight.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I just started hanging my laundry to dry and yeah, my shoulders get a little sore after holding them up for awhile, but I don't log it.

It doesn't bother me what other people log, but I do think that you should be careful not to cheat yourself. I rarely eat back my exercise calories only because I don't have a HRM and some of the MFP estimates seem to be highly exaggerated. So if you're eating back calories, I would say probably not to log it.

If you DO choose to log it, go for it, see if it works for you. If you don't lose or your weightloss plateaus, that may be something you want to come back to and re-evaluate.

I also wanted to say I don't think that was a stupid question. A lot of these people have "been there done that". We are all on different levels and different stages in our journey. Someone may have started out feeling like hanging laundry was a good workout, but is now able to handle a much higher level of intensity and giggles because they used to think hanging laundry was an intense workout. I wouldn't take it personally. A lot of people here are really great for constructive criticism. Others are here for entertainment. :wink:
  • claudie1981
    Options

Thank you! I've just joined-well, joined but only started actually doing this 2days ago. This is the first forum question I've read and am very disappointed with peoples behavior. Just be honest and supportive.

It's probably a fair amount of work lifting baskets of wet clothes and hanging them. Log it and if you find you're not loosing, stop logging it. Good Luck.

Don't let a few rude posts give the impression that most people here aren't nice. Some MFP'ers are blunt but a lot of what they say is true. As for the ones who make fun of people... being on a internet forum allows people to say what they want, even if it's insensitive because they're sitting in front of a computer and not looking the person in the face. Don't let them get to you. Most people here are kind and supportive.

Feel free to add me if you like. :)

Its True, i have made alot of new friends that are supportive and kind and willing to explain things.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I just started hanging my laundry to dry and yeah, my shoulders get a little sore after holding them up for awhile, but I don't log it.

It doesn't bother me what other people log, but I do think that you should be careful not to cheat yourself. I rarely eat back my exercise calories only because I don't have a HRM and some of the MFP estimates seem to be highly exaggerated. So if you're eating back calories, I would say probably not to log it.

If you DO choose to log it, go for it, see if it works for you. If you don't lose or your weightloss plateaus, that may be something you want to come back to and re-evaluate.

I also wanted to say I don't think that was a stupid question. A lot of these people have "been there done that". We are all on different levels and different stages in our journey. Someone may have started out feeling like hanging laundry was a good workout, but is now able to handle a much higher level of intensity and giggles because they used to think hanging laundry was an intense workout. I wouldn't take it personally. A lot of people here are really great for constructive criticism. Others are here for entertainment. :wink:

Love her! She is so positive and a great MFP Buddy :)
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    So, because cleaning ISN'T part of my daily routine and only do it periodically, does that mean I can log it as exercise? LMAO!
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I use clothes lines, but I don't count it as exercise. If I'm cleaning my house and I break out in a sweat from vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, dusting, scrubbing the shower, cleaning the ceiling fans, etc., yes, I count that as exercise.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Love her! She is so positive and a great MFP Buddy :)

aww... back atcha, girlie!!! :flowerforyou:
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

No. We are not all in the same boat. Some people take their health seriously and don't try and fool themselves into believing that they're doing more than they are, while also not taking themselves too seriously. When you start calling anything other than sitting on the couch exercise, you start overestimating your calorie burn. The inevitable result is failure to lose weight, and often a post about how counting calories doesn't work.

Are some people needlessly "laughing" in their responses? Perhaps they are. But let it go. I've certainly laughed at a number of my own mistakes over the years. It's part of making the learning process less painful.

So because the OP is asking a question, a valid one at that, and is trying to learn, she's not taking her health seriously? Seems like a bit of a pompous statement if you ask me.

No. I did not say that, but thank you so much for the personal attack without reading my second paragraph.

If you're angry at the posters providing criticism then perhaps a walk is in order. It will help you reach your goals and reduce the anger and stress.

My journey is going just fine and I'm not stressed or angry. Sorry that you misunderstood, and that I obviously took what you said the wrong way as well. :smile:
  • BeachIron
    Options

My journey is going just fine and I'm not stressed or angry. Sorry that you misunderstood, and that I obviously took what you said the wrong way as well. :smile:

Fair enough, nothing like talking past each other. *exploding fist bump*

original_zps216b3de9.gif
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    unless it gets your heart rate going and you're sweating and it's physically a push, then no, i wouldn't consider it exercise :) but that goes for anything. my buddy goes to the gym and just wanders around and doesn't do anything and i don't consider that exercise either lol. to me, the activity doesn't matter, it's how hard you exert yourself within that activity.
    Again with folks insisting it's all about sweating. I apparently need to stop logging 2-hour-long walks with a full pack, and any work I do on a Gazelle Glider, because they don't make the sweat pour from my brow.

lol way to entirely miss the point. all i'm saying is that the name of the activity itself can't tell us if it's exercise or not, but rather the level of exertion in said activity. i forgot where i'm posting - you say the word "sweating" and suddenly you're "insisting it's all about sweating" and that you need the sweat to "pour from the brow" to be legitimate exercise. just trying to be friendly and helpful to the OP in a thread of people making fun of her. :smile:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    If there is one thing that these kinds of threads always prove, it's that people have no idea what "sedentary" actually means in an activity level. Sedentary does NOT mean that you never move. It does not mean that you don't go check the mailbox. It does not mean that you don't cook dinner. It does not mean that you don't do laundry or clean your house. What sedentary means is that for your day job, you spend the majority of it seated at a desk. Your BMR is the number that tells you your calorie burn if you never moved, and if you really wanted to log every little move you make throughout the day, then you would start with your BMR, not with a "sedentary" TDEE.
    It is if you put the washing basket as far from the washing line as possible & hang one item up at a time per trip. Takes me about an hour to hang the washing. I then take it down the same way. With my fitbit I can get about 5-6 thousand steps just doing it each time..... enough that I do work up a sweat cause I'm going so fast. I just had to hang my stuff up inside cause it's raining.... washing at one end of the house...clotheshorse at the other...ONE item at a time. Took me 4000 steps to do half, I'm talking ONE sock, ONE underwear, ONE tshirt, ONE pair of pants..... per trip. So grab ONE...walk to line....hang...walk back empty handed....grab one...walk to line..... you get it now?

ANYTHING can be classed as exercise if you do it right..... you should see me clean the floors.

DO NOT LISTEN to those people who do NOT class it as exercise...... if you do it like I do then it's a bloody workout in itself. I didn't hang washing like that when I was fat.
    Ugh, this is so ridiculous. You're not getting a workout because you're hanging laundry. You're getting a workout by walking, while you are hanging laundry. I can put a load of clothes in the washer, do several sets of back squats, deadlifts, and bench presses while the washer runs, and then change the clothes over to my dryer, and go back to lifting, then bring the laundry upstairs. Did I get such a great workout from doing laundry? Hell no, I got a great workout because I exercised while I was doing laundry. Two separate activities, that I happened to do at the same time.

So walking is NOT exercise now? You think I log it as hanging washing though? My Fitbit takes that as steps I've done...but I never hung washing like that before I was fat. I'd just stand at the line, not move & that would be it till they were dry.

Does that mean if I run 5km to the shops & back to get something then I can't log it as exercise because I did 2 things at once & it would have been classed as 'shopping'? What about when I walked 23km to get some mascara, took me 5 hours but hey perhaps I should not have logged that cause it was 'shopping' and not walking?

Really...like I said.....ITS SOMETHING I DID NOT DO BEFORE WHEN I WAS FAT..... so according to the "RULES" here that people seem to have placed on what is exercise & what is not..... then it falls into exercise.

Plus when you are like me & do 20,000+ steps a day & THEN a 10km run.... it's ALL counted. I'm not past my goal weight for nothing you know. I've done the washing like this from the start back in Feb last year..... it works for me & if it works for someone else well then who is anyone to tell someone it's NOT working for them & they are lying to themselves. Are you them?
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    So, because cleaning ISN'T part of my daily routine and only do it periodically, does that mean I can log it as exercise? LMAO!

Be careful, or you might get reported. lol