Worst thing...

Options
What's the worst thing about dieting for you? For me it's constantly thinking about food. Just like when I was giving up smoking, all I thought about was having one.

Replies

• Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Yep, constantly thinking about food.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    worst thing is thinking about it as a diet instead of a lifestyle change
  • JessicaHeathfield
    JessicaHeathfield Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yep I agree, having to think about food. The food part kills me! Always get mad cravings :(
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Not being able to just eat whatever I want, whenever I want, in however much quantity I want. Not being able to just eat mindlessly.
  • clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Worst thing about stepping into a healthier lifestyle is my husband not joining me on this journey.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Not being able to just eat whatever I want, whenever I want, in however much quantity I want. Not being able to just eat mindlessly.

If you make it a lifestyle change after a while you naturally start eating healthy without even thinking about it.
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

We got to that as a kid. :) My thing is being old enough to have to start watching it :( Growing older sucks sometimes
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    For me its thinking i'm actually getting somewhere like looking smaller in the mirror feeling better in my skin and then to make a picture of myself to then see nothing has changed and i'm still huge...
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I always think about food, even when I am not on a caloric deficit. I thought about food all day long when I was bulking too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If you make it a lifestyle change after a while you naturally start eating healthy without even thinking about it.

after how long? i have been maintaining for over a year, and i would still LOVE to sit on my bum eating crap all day! only vanity keeps me from doing it!
  • CountryGirl84
    CountryGirl84 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Food! Even when it's a lifestyle change I think food is still the hardest part! Like if friends want to go to meet at a restaurant I feel guilty after having pasta or a burger even though those are things I want...I miss eating what I want when I want without thinking about calories...though for the most part I eat healthier and it is a lifestyle change sometimes my boys want pancakes or french toast for breakfast and I want to indulge without feeling guilty!
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    not being able to enjoy eating food that i know it's unhealthy without thinking about the nutrition and calories, just actually enjoying the taste.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I feel annoyed in situations where I can't know exactly how many calories are in what I'm eating, even if the food is good! Like at restaurants and eating at friend's houses.

I need to get over that, lol.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    The worst thing is being hungry when you are out and about and the only thing in the shops is sweets, crisps and chocolate!
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly enough, the food thing doesn't bother me. I don't have cravings. I don't think about it all the time. It's just... what it is. Idk why I don't have the same problems with it that others do. It certainly isn't like I didn't eat junk, and plenty of it, before. That's how I got to be nearly 300 pounds. Maybe it's a mind set. The worst thing for me is not being able to convince my teenagers that they need to make these same changes. I can't get them to touch a veggie. They get right down ugly without the junk food. And I can't get them to go to the gym to save my life. I just want to see them start to make these changes while they are younger and it will be so much easier for them.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

This!!! It took me a good year to figure this one out. (I've also had a number of slip ups for various reasons.) I still love food, but now I just think about it differently. Sitting on the couch and stuffing my face has become less enjoyable while figuring out how to nourish my body and making yummy meals in order to do so really excites me.

I would say that the worst thing has been realizing that I can't eat my feelings. But that has also been the best thing about this journey. I finally realized that I was using food as a crutch to dull my emotions. When that was no longer an option for me, I was forced to deal with what was actually going on in my life. Sometimes I still get the urge to sit on my couch and eat a pie, but I don't do it anymore. And even after I started, when I would slip up and eat my emotions, it just wasn't as enjoyable.
  • jenns2424
    Options
    always think about food and know that i cant sit and eat whatever i want whenever i want
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

I've been maintaining for nearly 30 years. I lost my weight, about 40 lbs, at about 20. I flucutate 3-5 lbs here and there, but I guess I am just one of the unfortuante ones who has be to be diligent and mindful of my eating behaviors. I don't measure my food, weigh it and I don't always log my food. But I do find I have to be, at the risk of being redundant, diligent. I don't live life miserably, but this is just a fact for me. God bless those who can change completely and never think about it again.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I don't diet. I get to eat delicious and healthy things all the live-long day and it's not miserable.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Worst thing about stepping into a healthier lifestyle is my husband not joining me on this journey.

This. He says he's thinking about it one day and another he'll say why don't you make me do it. I can't make you change your life...you need to decide to do it for you and I will always help!!!