All the weight I've lost, my boyfriend has gained?

Options
2»

Replies

• bdeezy3396
    bdeezy3396 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    To me this does sound shallow. He was ok with you when you were 40lbs heavier correct? So I'm lost why you're not ok with him? I guess this is why some relationships do break up when one person loses weight or does a makeover.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    This advice will be unpopular, but take it anyway.

Leave him. You've described a generalized apathy that likely goes well beyond his weight.

Also, you're 20. Don't wear a boat anchor on your life's on-ramp.
    call me negative nellie , i agree with this poster.
    you dont live together - youre young, hes a slacker. there are better guys around..
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I'd say tell him how you feel and he should realise that you're only saying it out of love. You shouldn't feel like this and he needs to know that. Us guys take the hint, come on we're blind to subtle things like that lol
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    He should break up with you. If 25 pounds is that big of deal, you're not going to make it long term.

I gained and lost 50, and my wife stuck with me, and never said a bad word. We've both been thin, both been fat, she's been thin when I was heavy, and the reverse. She's been up and down through three pregnancies.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who say tell him. How does he know unless you tell him that you're unhappy? Some people gain weight so gradually they don't even notice how much they put on.
  • Beckaroo727
    Beckaroo727 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MrsBigMack, That's a lot of wisdom from a lot of life lived. Thanks for sharing.
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    He should break up with you. If 25 pounds is that big of deal, you're not going to make it long term.

I gained and lost 50, and my wife stuck with me, and never said a bad word. We've both been thin, both been fat, she's been thin when I was heavy, and the reverse. She's been up and down through three pregnancies.

Well, n=1 does not make someone an expert on how weight gain/loss affects a relationship and what is healthy for the couple, so I think it's kind of funny when people bring their personal anecdotal evidence into the picture.

It sounds like the OP is not only complaining about his weight, but also his apathy, lifestyle, and overall difference from how she wants to live her life. Just like others have said OP, it is probably a good idea for you to think about what is important in your life and what your goals are, and if he is not/won't head in the same direction, you might need to consider breaking up. I think that this is an important discussion not only about weight, but also about what kind of life you two envision, whether together or apart.

Best of luck.
  • Marefr
    Marefr Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's a deal breaker. I agree with those who say it's not just the weight, it's the attitude.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Well, n=1 does not make someone an expert on how weight gain/loss affects a relationship and what is healthy for the couple, so I think it's kind of funny when people bring their personal anecdotal evidence into the picture.

Sigh, I'm not really serious.

That said, if you read enough threads here, you'll see that lots of people DO think you should break up:

"I weigh 400 pounds and my husband said I should lose some weight for my health."
    "He doesn't love you! Controlling, abusive, and shallow. Divorce him! Take everything he has!"

It gets old after a while.

Here's my REAL advice: you can't control another person, and, you're a fool for trying. All you can do is set an example and hope they'll come along with you.

Would OP like it if her BF lost 25 pounds, and then decided she had to lose her 40? Probably not.
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Sigh, I'm not really serious.

That said, if you read enough threads here, you'll see that lots of people DO think you should break up:

"I weigh 400 pounds and my husband said I should lose some weight for my health."
    "He doesn't love you! Controlling, abusive, and shallow. Divorce him! Take everything he has!"

It gets old after a while.

Here's my REAL advice: you can't control another person, and, you're a fool for trying. All you can do is set an example and hope they'll come along with you.

Would OP like it if her BF lost 25 pounds, and then decided she had to lose her 40? Probably not.

Haha ok, I got you. And yes I agree, every time I see a post that is like "My boyfriend doesn't find me attractive anymore," and then you find upon further reading that she's gained 60 pounds since they met...all the people shouting "shallow *kitten*!" make me want to roll my eyes. Of course he isn't going to be as attracted with you if you've put on 60 pounds of fat...physical attraction is part of a relationship, just like support, emotional attachment, intellectual stimulation, etc.
  • bbl2013t
    bbl2013t Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    since i was 200 lbs overweight and still 180 lbs overweight, his 20lbs doesn't matter, he could be 200 lbs overweight and i would still find him hot!
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My only question for you - is this really about his weight or is it about the sitting on the couch doing nothing? They really are two different issues.

If it is the weight, you can't lose it for anyone but yourself and he can't lose it for anyone but himself. Maybe he hasn't really noticed, so you can mention it, just don't harp on it. You can probably get him moving by getting him to exercise with you. If he is competitive then he won't want to be behind you if you are jogging together.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!