Low Carb Fat Free Greek Yogurt Suggestions

Options

Replies

• mfaine
    mfaine Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @emilybrokaw Sounds delicious but I think the Liberte is already lower than that though the honey one may be higher than a fruit variety.

I guess this is my baseline:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/update_nutrition_facts/28344978?date=2012-04-08&show_controls=true
    Kroger brand Fat Free strawberry has 130 cals. 15 grams carbs, and 14 grams of protein. IIRC the plain has 16 g of protein.

That is really good for a fat free Greek yogurt with fruit in it. I'll check that out.
  • mfaine
    Options
    Wow, a lot of great ideas for plain yogurt mix-ins. I'm seriously going to try them all, though I've already tried a few.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Thanks for the link, have heard good things about Quest bars, would like to try them.
  • mfaine
    Options

Thanks for the link, have heard good things about Quest bars, would like to try them.

I just received the chocolate peanut butter bars from the all natural line and though I think they cost too much I can't complain about any other aspect of the bar. Very few ingredients, most of them things you can read and understand, and they actually taste good. I wish all food were this high in quality. I especially like the microwave for 15 seconds method. I guess I will be buying more but I have no idea how I'm going to afford it. These are replacing Pure Protein bars for me and those were like half the cost of the quest bars.
  • kkoshiro
    kkoshiro Posts: 69
    Options
    Dannon Oikos 0% fat (nonfat) Greek with blueberry on the bottom is what I eat. I dont care for Yoplait or regular yogurt,. so far this works for me.
  • jennyb612
    jennyb612 Posts: 83
    Options
    I've been REALLY watching Carbs and missing yogurt. The Carb Control Dannon is just blech, so I bought Chobani plain. um... yuck on its own. I JUST ordered liquid Stevia from Amazon and I think I'll try that with some fresh berries - thanks for this post!! Great Ideas all around!
  • mfaine
    Options
    I don' t know I've been trying stevia in plain Fage 0% with fresh fruit and I have to say I found it made the yogurt bitter. I'm not sure if maybe I'm doing something wrong. Also, this was powder stevia not liquid.
  • auspiciousbunny
    Options
    I eat Chobani, Fage or Oikos zero percent. The 6 oz size has 100 calories, 0 fat, 7 g sugar, 7 g carbs. I do not find 7 g to be too many carbs for me per serving. I guess it depends on whatever else you are eating. For breakfast you can empty the yogurt into a bowl and mix just assorted raw nuts - into the yogurt. It's really great! I do long distance hiking - somtimes up to around 20 miles in one day, and this is one of my favorite foods to eat on the trail also.
  • brightlouise
    Options
    The best - Dannon Light n fit Greek, 80 calories :-)
    http://www.lightnfit.com/home
  • brightlouise
    Options
    ^ but only the Greek, the other light and fit ones are kinda thin and not worth bothering with.
  • wiserdays
    Options
    The three best zero fat, very low carb, very low sugar yogurts are:

FAGE Total Plain which has 0 Fat, 100 Cal, 18g Prot, 7g Carbs and 65mg Sodium

Oikos Greek Plain which has 0 Fat, 80 Cal, 15g Prot, 6g Carbs and 50 mg Sodium

Siggi's Skyr Plain which has 0 Fat, 80 Cal, 15g Prot, 5g Carbs and 60mg Sodium

The sugar in all three brands is equal to or less than the Carb count. The Siggi's is Skyr, which is the Icelandic version of Greek.

I make a fruit compote from berries by putting a pint of blueberries and a pint of strawberries and/or a pint of razberries in a saucepan with about a half cup of water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook covered on a very low boil for about an hour, stirring occasionally. When the berries are cooked down, the mixture will look just like the fruit slurry you find in the bottom of fruit flavored yogurt cups. After I take the fruit off the heat I mix in 2 teaspoons Truvia or other Stevia blend sweetener. More or less can be used depending on your taste. I prefer mine only slightly sweet and tart. I put this in a mason jar in the fridge. I add about 3-4 Tablespoons to 6 oz. of Greek or Skyr Yogurt and mix. It is absolutely delicious with very few carbs/sugar and tons of protein.
    I sometimes also add toasted walnuts, almonds or pumpkin seeds for a little crunch . . . Yum.
  • greenfirearm
    greenfirearm Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Moussaka! Nom nom nom.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I really dislike the taste of stevia, but I can easily buy xylitol here which I find sweetens with no after taste. By the way I have extreme greek yogurt envy. We cant buy Fage or Chobani here, so I when I went to Florida for two weeks recently I spent a good part of my time eating my way through the dairy section in Winn Dixie.
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I make a blueberry chia jam that I add to my plain greek yogurt.

1 pint blueberries
    1/4 cup water
    2 tsp chia seeds

boil water and bluberries until they break down, add chia seeds and transfer to a mason jar and refrigerate. As it cools the chia seeds swell and it turns into a thick lovely sugar-free jam. Sweetens up yogurt beautifully. Also add it to smoothies, oatmeal, use on toast, etc. Can be blended for a smoother consistency if you prefer. The chia seeds add great fiber, protein and omega 3's. Also great with other berries, plums, peaches etc.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I make my own yogurt all the time using a quart of heavy whipping cream (0 carbs) and 2.5 tablespoons of Fage plain Greek yogurt. I love it. 180 calories 0 carbs 20 gms sodium and 20 gms fat. Good luck. Hope you find something you like.
    You inspired me! I just ordered a yogurt maker. Thanks!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,571 Member
    Options
    I eat Chobani, Fage or Oikos zero percent. The 6 oz size has 100 calories, 0 fat, 7 g sugar, 7 g carbs. I do not find 7 g to be too many carbs for me per serving. I guess it depends on whatever else you are eating. For breakfast you can empty the yogurt into a bowl and mix just assorted raw nuts - into the yogurt. It's really great! I do long distance hiking - somtimes up to around 20 miles in one day, and this is one of my favorite foods to eat on the trail also.

I eat the Fage 2% plain, in 6oz portions. 128cal, 3.4g fat, 6.8g carbs and 17.2g protein. I eat it with raspberries (high fiber) and strawberries, and I usually add 1/3 to 1 whole scoop protein powder depending on what my protein looks like for the rest of the day.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,571 Member
    Options

1 pint blueberries
    1/4 cup water
    2 tsp chia seeds

boil water and bluberries until they break down, add chia seeds and transfer to a mason jar and refrigerate. As it cools the chia seeds swell and it turns into a thick lovely sugar-free jam. Sweetens up yogurt beautifully. Also add it to smoothies, oatmeal, use on toast, etc. Can be blended for a smoother consistency if you prefer. The chia seeds add great fiber, protein and omega 3's. Also great with other berries, plums, peaches etc.

Ooh, I need to do this with the raspberries/strawberries I usually add to my yogurt.
  • Jayma375
    Jayma375 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite afternoon snacks at work right now is Greek %fat yogurt with a pack of splenda or stevia and fresh raspberries. It is absolutely delish!!! I won't be able to eat it much longer as I'm sure once they aren't in season anymore the price will go up dramatically.

I want to try to add some sweetener, cocoa powder and PB2 to yogurt to see if it will taste as good as I think it might. Has anyone tried this combo?
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options

1 pint blueberries
    1/4 cup water
    2 tsp chia seeds

More inspiration...THANKS!!!
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The best - Dannon Light n fit Greek, 80 calories :-)
    http://www.lightnfit.com/home

I came here to suggest the same. I LOVE these! Strawberry Cheesecake and Banana Cream Pie are my faves. ZERO fat, 9 grams of carbs, and 7 grams of sugar plus it's only 80 calories! I never buy any other brand anymore.