Turkey Bacon VS Pork Bacon?????

Options
From what I am reading there is no difference in the fat content. What is the benefit?

Replies

• Photoplex
    Photoplex Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That's news to me... last time I checked at the grocery store turkey bacon had half the fat.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Taste, lol, is the benefit to pork bacon:happy:
  • kassyk
    kassyk Posts: 14
    Options
    Depending on the Type
    Here Is A Comparision

Pork Bacon Per 2 Slices Turkey Bacon Per 2 Slices
    Calories 190 Calories 70 Calories
    Fat 18g 6g
    Saturated 7g 2g
    Cholesterol 40mg 30mg
    Sodium 180mg 510mg
    Potassium 190mg 0
    Carbohydrate 1g 1g
    Protein 7g 4g

There is definietly a benefit from a calorie point of view to choose Turkey over Pork
    As for the taste they are almost the same less all the grease
  • MColette
    MColette Posts: 62
    Options
    There is a ton of difference in the fat content, what brand of Turkey bacon you are talking about?
    The Jenny O has .5 g of fat and 20 calories per serving.
    Just check the difference in fat that drips in the pan when you cook normal bacon vs. Turkey, it's huge
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    also, you have to be sure that you are comparing things of the same serving size. comparing "1 slice' of turkey to pork bacon is not going to be accurate...the best way is by weight which should also be on the package.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I heard that technically pork is the better choice. Granted they are both processed the pork is LESS processed and more wholesome with less of the chemicals than the turkey...just buy a lean pork bacon. I love the kind they have at whole foods for some reason
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I heard that technically pork is the better choice. Granted they are both processed the pork is LESS processed and more wholesome with less of the chemicals than the turkey...just buy a lean pork bacon. I love the kind they have at whole foods for some reason
    :drinker: :drinker:
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon has tons of sodium as well! I do everything in moderation so when I do have bacon I go with the pork. I believe David Zinczenko from Eat this Not that recommends pork over turkey as well....you can get center cut and low sodium pork bacon to cut out some of the junk.
  • TexasLady
    TexasLady Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for all the information. I noticed today they now have a low sodium turkey bacon option.
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    There is a huge difference! The chicken bacon has even less calories than the turkey, I really like it and eat a piece almost every morning!!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I get slab bacon from the Meat Market and it has no nitrates or nitrites which are the preservatives that keep it from spoiling........

I just bring it home and pack it in portions so I can freeze it and then thaw when needed.............

I tried turkey bacon back in my low fat, low calorie days and I would rather eat shoe leather than to eat that stuff...........
  • jenhawkins
    jenhawkins Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Totally agree. We researched and ended up choosing pork bacon over turkey. The turkey bacon is super-processed and has a ton of stuff added to it. It's creepy. Granted, neither are health foods. But for a once-a-week breakfast burrito or whatever, I vote high-quality pork bacon. Wright Brand is yummy!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information. I noticed today they now have a low sodium turkey bacon option.

If you're looking for a lower sodium turkey bacon, I've found that Butterball has one that's pretty good. I have to watch sodium levels and with this brand, I can have 2 slices vs 1 with most others!

Per 1 serving: 1 slice/14 g

25 calories
    0 carbs
    0 fiber
    2 protein
    2 fat
    80 sodium
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried canadian bacon? peameal..it's fantastic, and a better option to either bacons you mentioned..and it's sooo yummy!
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think when it comes to bacon, there is such a difference in types... ie how much fat is actually cut off... that it's difficult to compare. Lean pork and lean turkey are both very low in fat so I think if you had brands that were lean (ie no streaking) with no fat on the outside then they would be pretty close by weight.
  • lilmissy2
    Options
    Have you ever tried canadian bacon? peameal..it's fantastic, and a better option to either bacons you mentioned..and it's sooo yummy!

What is canadian bacon? I've always been curious and now even more so hahaha educate us deprived little Australians/Brits!
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    What is canadian bacon? I've always been curious and now even more so hahaha educate us deprived little Australians/Brits!

I'm an American living in England and I'm pretty sure "Canadian Bacon" is just back bacon medallions (i.e. not streaky bacon which is almost all you get in most US supermarkets).

I vote pork, FWIW. Not as processed and MUCH more flavour. If it's something like bacon that I consider a bit of a treat, I'd rather have a smaller portion of the real thing.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Canadian bacon is more like ham. It's what McDonald's uses on thier egg mcmuffin sandwiches. It is better for you than bacon.

Whichever type you try, get one that is free of nitrates and all that other crap (as with all meat). They taste so much better and are way better for you. Publix carries one call Applegate Farms and it is YUMMY! The Whole Foods 365 brand is pretty good too.
  • lilmissy2
    Options
    ohhh so Canadian bacon is just what I would think of as 'regular old bacon' hahaha thanks!!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    When I look at the turkey bacon versus center cut pork bacon at Aldi, they're about the same. The latter tastes MUCH better! Since I have it MAYBE once or twice per month, I figure I'll just go with taste!