How You use egg yolks?

Options

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg, lots of good fats and nutrients and fills me up, as well as being delicious! Options if you really don't want to is to make a big creme caramel for someone as a treat. If you never use them try to hunt down egg whites in a carton. That pretty hard here, but hear Sainsbury have them. X
  • Itsallbs15
    Itsallbs15 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I give the yolks to the dogs. Its good for their coat.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused. You said you were making healthier choices, but then you said you stopped eating the healthiest part of the egg...

Why eat the egg at all if you don't eat the yolk? The white is just a few grams of protein, and pretty much void of all other nutrition. Meanwhile the yolks have all the vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats, plus about half the protein usually found in an egg.

^ This.
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    OK, guilty as charged. I've been making omelette with 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites and always hated the idea of throwing the yolks. So now I know EAT THEM!
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yep. Eat it! Omelettes with lots of chicken and veg is one of my favourites

Whattt omelettes with chicken; why haven't I tried that before?

^^^^ this

actually I have seen chicken tikka omelet before, at the time I though it was crazy. Now I'm wondering what I missed out on :sad:

Chicken tikka omelette?! I may have to look into this! Another amazing recipe is adding some chopped turkey sausage, mushrooms, red peppers and red onion. Ooft. :love:
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a few whole eggs and a few egg whites when I make scrambled eggs

You can always use the egg yolk for a homemade hair treatment or face mask :)
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Seriously, though, easy on poor Puuka, it was just a question.

A few years ago, egg yolks were the food of the devil because of their dreadful effect on cholesterol levels. Now, we are told that this is not the case.

Egg yolks have a bad rap because they are fatty, the white being just protein. But, not all fat is bad. Avocado is good for you, olive oil is good for you,fish oils in salmon and tuna are good for you, nuts are good for you, and so are egg yolks. In case the point hadn't been made in the hundred posts above this, sorry.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Now I started to make healthier choices (I hope so) and make scrambled eggs using egg whites.

Would only ever do if I required yolks to make ice cream and was too lazy to use the whites as coating or make a meringue.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

^^^^ this

actually I have seen chicken tikka omelet before, at the time I though it was crazy. Now I'm wondering what I missed out on :sad:

Chicken tikka omelette?! I may have to look into this! Another amazing recipe is adding some chopped turkey sausage, mushrooms, red peppers and red onion. Ooft. :love:

Try a Chinese omelette, too, ginger, soy, prawns, chicken and a sticky ginger sauce - divine!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

^^^^ this

Anything can go in an omelette.An omelette is a great way to get rid of leftovers, same with a frittata (basically a flat omelette) or a quiche (basically a frittata in a pie crust.)
  • beadalicious
    beadalicious Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused. You said you were making healthier choices, but then you said you stopped eating the healthiest part of the egg...

Why eat the egg at all if you don't eat the yolk? The white is just a few grams of protein, and pretty much void of all other nutrition. Meanwhile the yolks have all the vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats, plus about half the protein usually found in an egg.

What a coincidence, I was going to post a question about eggs today. We were discussing at work yesterday and 2 of my female coworkers said they never eat the yolk because its so bad for you. They are convinced that there is nothing good for you in an egg yolk and all the nutrients are in the white. It boggles my mind that will all the info at peoples fingertips, they still hold onto such silly beliefs. I ate hard boiled eggs for breakfast or lunch almost everyday for 6 months while on a high protein/low-carb diet and still lost 35 lbs. My husband has high cholesterol and he's still allowed to eat eggs occasionally.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options

^^^^ this

Anything can go in an omelette.An omelette is a great way to get rid of leftovers, same with a frittata (basically a flat omelette) or a quiche (basically a frittata in a pie crust.)

Bubble and squeak. Everything old is new again.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    There used to be an argument that ALL cholesterol was BAD, so eggs got blamed for being high in fat and cholesterol. NOW science has found there's GOOD cholesterol as well, and guess which sort eggs have.. YES!! GOOD cholesterol. :love: :drinker:

So eat the yolks. If its good for the dog's coat its also going to be good for YOUR coat....er....sorry HAIR.:smile:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I use whole eggs but also buy cartonned liquid egg whites so I can make big high protein, low cal omelettes.

I don't like wasting the yolks either but the company I buy from confirm that the egg yolks are passed onto other manufacturers to make mayonnaise etc.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Eggs are an inexpensive source of healthy protein. They are low calorie something like 70 per egg. I love eggs they are the most versatile food that can be eaten anytime of the day. a favorite is one egg, a cup of milk mixed together with a a tiny bit of sweetner poured over a slice of bread cubed up and a hand full of blueberries then baked so tasty.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    I eat them lol.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I eat every single one of them with a side of bacon. Egg yolks are not unhealthy. They promote GOOD HDL levels.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I store them in a small fridge next to my bed and use them as lube.

I hear they are great for your skin and hair. LOL
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I store them in a small fridge next to my bed and use them as lube.

Gives a whole new meaning to egg beaters!
  • rachjenn
    rachjenn Posts: 87
    Options
    USE THE WHOLE EGG

Isn't eating chicken with egg wrong? Or is that just me.... :-D