Please spell words correctly

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    To all the brits complaining that American English is wrong, and theirs is the "correct english"

Let's see ...

62.5 Million In Great Britan
    314 Million in the USA.

Guess what? It's not your language any more.

Well, I for one think you should give it back. I believe you took it without permission!!

Much like your empire, you couldn't hold on to it.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Oh my, thank you all for jumping down my throat! Can we be any more rude?
    Sorry I even tried to be nice!

I wouldn't take it personally, a lot of members here like an excuse to make their opinions heard and have a bit of 'friendly' banter.

That being said, if you are going to post a thread knocking people for their spelling mistakes, then please make sure your own message is free of mistakes, because then you are pretty much asking for it!

I LIKE the fact that there are these mistakes; nobody is perfect, none of us here is perfect, and that is one of the reasons we are here. Weight loss is hard enough, let's not make it harder by getting petty about spelling. Laugh at the mistakes, acknowledge we are all only human, and make the most out of the support and the great resources on this site :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Also, what's up with listing Subway sandwiches in grams? Is six inch and twelve inch too common a measurement to use?

11913subwaysand.jpg
  • rustyguy
    rustyguy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Also, what's up with listing Subway sandwiches in grams? Is six inch and twelve inch too common a measurement to use?

11913subwaysand.jpg

I'd be upset about Subway's trickery but they're really just doing me a favor.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Oh my, thank you all for jumping down my throat! Can we be any more rude?
    Sorry I even tried to be nice!

LMAO! When? When were you trying to be nice?
  • iamnotjustanumber
    Options
    Hi, there is nothing worse than trying to look up a food item and you can't find what you want because the name of the food is spelled incorrectly. For example..it's banana...NOT bananna...
    Please double check your spelling before you submit a food entry.. Thank you in advance.:flowerforyou:

"Nothing worse", huh?.....:laugh: You must lead a very sheltered life.

Exactly!!!!, I canot believe someone even had the audacity to post this "spelling request" on a free website. ... some people!!"
  • innerninja3035
    innerninja3035 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, MFP is a free tool that is pretty amazingly user driven. If you don't like it then go pay $20 a week at Weight Watchers. If you really care about excellence, then take the time to enter your own data. Also, in my opinion, people are not being rude, they are just being honest.
  • PaulJRaymond
    PaulJRaymond Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ha. Facts is facts.

Facts ARE facts. #justsaying
  • iamnotjustanumber
    Options
    To all the brits complaining that American English is wrong, and theirs is the "correct english"

Let's see ...

314 Million in the USA.

I think you'll find it is still called English, not American. If you want a butchered version for yourself, fine, we'll continue to speak it correctly.

Yes. It will always be ENGLISH and the ENGLISH way will ALWAYS be the correct way.

America is just a word.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Let's see ...

314 Million in the USA.

And i worked in a pizzeria in Roma and was told by an insistent american couple pizza was first made in america !!!!!! The best laugh was them asking where i learned my american and i simply said " 2 week correspondance course" and magic to hear him say "did you hear that Bess, american in 2 weeks " !!!

you couldnt make it up !!!

Pizza was invented in Naples. Naples is in Florida. QED.
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    LOL!
  • iamnotjustanumber
    Options

Let's see ...

314 Million in the USA.

I think you'll find it is still called English, not American. If you want a butchered version for yourself, fine, we'll continue to speak it correctly.

Yes. It will always be ENGLISH and the ENGLISH way will ALWAYS be the correct way.

America is just a word.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    if its spelled wrong do the calories still count?
    No. So, you could log bakon and it won't count.

People with a poor spelling are smarter than you'd think. :)

Of course they are :) Some very smart people just don't care to spend the time to type/spell correctly...doesn't make them un-intelligent. They're just a lil lazy or too busy in my opinion :)
  • grtie70
    grtie70 Posts: 2
    Options
    Have to say that I am guilty of looking up a food by its misspelling Cantaloupe...luckily for me when I looked up Canteloupe there were entries :) Usually it is me that is the spelling nazi, I just bluster about it in my head or my house and leave people to their delusions of correctness :P

By the way, let me just say that whether you spell correctly or knot ;P everyone who has posted here seems to be rocking their weight loss! Kudos and keep up the good work. We may be a nation that spells color/glamor etc differently but we don't have to be a nation of unhealthy folks.

GO US!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Have to say that I am guilty of looking up a food by its misspelling Cantaloupe...luckily for me when I looked up Canteloupe there were entries :) Usually it is me that is the spelling nazi, I just bluster about it in my head or my house and leave people to their delusions of correctness :P

By the way, let me just say that whether you spell correctly or knot ;P everyone who has posted here seems to be rocking their weight loss! Kudos and keep up the good work. We may be a nation that spells color/glamor etc differently but we don't have to be a nation of unhealthy folks.

GO US!

I'd rephrase that as "we don't have to be a world full of unhealthy folks"...totally agree with the rest of your post!
  • grtie70
    grtie70 Posts: 2
    Options
    I think that some people's minds just move way faster than their hands. If the context is brilliant then I don't judge the spelling too harshly...but some people seem very...um...limited...by what they put out into the world (when even the simplest words are wrong).
  • Logical_Integrity
    Options
    Please mods lock this topic so all the slow children return to their coloring books.................:ohwell:
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Let's see ...

314 Million in the USA.

And i worked in a pizzeria in Roma and was told by an insistent american couple pizza was first made in america !!!!!! The best laugh was them asking where i learned my american and i simply said " 2 week correspondance course" and magic to hear him say "did you hear that Bess, american in 2 weeks " !!!

you couldnt make it up !!!

Pizza was invented in Naples. Naples is in Florida. QED.

Not another one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fell off my chair laughing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you cant be serious can you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"wrong turn" !
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Indeed. I was trying to look up Doughnut the other day and all I could find was Donut. It was most frustrating. :laugh:
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    WTF ??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.