WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Sundance - OUCH!!!

Megblair - 6000 steps is great.

rjadmams - what kind of faire are you going to?

Sonja - I couldn't understand for a moment why you would be joining us in August instead of now - then I realized - you're still 49!! Lucky you and welcome to our group. We are a talkative bunch.

Anyway, just marking my spot. I am determined to be good this week. Now if the folks who keep brining the donuts would just stop it already :explode:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I had a fun visit with my cousin and his family last weekend, his grandbaby Rosalie and I laughed and laughed while putting carrots on our noses like Pinocchio :laugh: she is the cutest little thing! Anyway I'm doing good, sunny weather helps. :wink:

562403_10100867866500486_1931467588_n.jpg

46221_10100867866545396_1893315789_n.jpg

Have a wonderful Tuesday! Eat your beans 'n greens, and drink drink drink your water! :drinker:

:smile: jb in sunny Portland
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I am not used to being up at this time:yawn: We ate a small breakfast, he couldn't have a big breakfast and I didn't have the heart to eat anything big in front of him. But my Cheerios and whole wheat toast was a good breakfast.. I think we are in a holding pattern in here. His appointment was at 8 AM. I think there were 5 people with the same time. They come in this room, wait, go out and get their IV put in and get some fluids, come back in the room. A couple of them have gone out to get an initial xray without the nuclear. One person has had the actual treadmill. I have no idea how long this is going to take. or no idea how long my battery will last! There is no plug in in this room.
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    bump for now - hope to catch up with all of you tonight. Have a great day! Jodios
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I hope you’re enjoying your week. We had a very sedate and enjoyable evening – DH is back on his best behavior – I guess I shocked him out of his shell because he’s agreeing to everything, even helping with the new walkway (that he wants anyway). The mulch is here already and the gravel is on its way. Did I mention how much I love spring gardening? :laugh: No, actually, I do. I get some sort of perverse satisfaction out of the yard when it’s freshly mulched – and it’s supposed to be perfect gardening weather this weekend.

Meg, it’s probably not a comfort right this minute that it’s good you’re not going to be facing a drought anytime soon – but be glad :smile:. And yay for the last class of the season!

Cheryl, lol about the ivy. I have some growing in a tub next to the pizza oven and have to cut it back in half every year. It grows like snakes - almost worse than mint.

Juanita, I hope your puppy recovers quickly – that sounds painful!

Yanniejannie, agreed. We were back to cold yesterday, today it’s cold and cloudy, supposed to rain tomorrow. I too turned the heat back on yesterday and the fireplace last night. What a baby I am! Congrats on the loss of that ½ pound!

Jodios, I’m stealing your goals for the next few weeks/months – I just have a couple of pounds to lose, managed to get back to my low point but trying to get a little lower. I think I could stand to drop my calories a bit, but I’m not going to starve myself, just eat cleaner.

Aw, Lucy – you got to see the Doc game – how fun. DH went to the game on Sunday night but I stayed home – 8pm is almost my bedtime – no way I could have stayed out past 1:30am when he got home! I can’t wait to see 42 – maybe tonight.

Robin, I’m sorry that new job didn’t come through but hopefully something will soon. Our family is huge Ren Faire fans – we used to go to the one in Larkspur every year in CO – last year I went to the PA one for the first time. I might check out the MD one this year too. I have costumes that I’ve made and everything! LOL about your little cannibal dog – ours used to go foraging for tomatoes every chance they got. They couldn’t even see and still went plundering.

Polly, it’s great that you’re able to reset and get recommitted to eating healthy. You already know what to do – now just go back to where you were.

Gail, I’m so sorry to hear about your sister. Cancer is a monster, no doubt. I still haven’t heard from my friend after her appointment – I suspect she’s hiding, which isn’t good. Sending good thoughts to Nancy.

Michele, how sad that Bryan said something so hurtful. It really does sound like he’s behaving badly. Be sure you plan lots of fun things to do and see in Spain so you entertain yourself without relying on Bryan in case he’s not available or doesn’t want to be. You shouldn’t let him spoil your vacation.

Rori, it’s snowing again? Wow.

LindaB, how exciting about the avocados! We (I) planted an avocado tree last year at DD’s house – can’t wait to see if it produces fruit. At least in February it hadn’t died, so that’s something lol. I quit trying to grow strawberries – too little yield for the pain, but then I’m not in sunny Cali, so you’re probably going to have better luck. DD is planning on planting some, it think.

Joyce in UK – I think your attitude is going to carry you a long way! Keep coming back for support and comfort :smile:.

DeeDee – I’m sorry but I’m laughing about your loss of flirty eyelashes – I would probably have the same issue, so I have to make do with my naturally sparse and spiky lashes :sad:.

Sonja, ah, yes, the pounds on the pounds issue – we’re familiar :laugh:. Welcome!

Cheryl, just tell yourself those people are “brining” the donuts – hopefully that will put you off them :laugh::wink:.

JB, how fun! I keep looking at pics of DGD and wishing I could see her. Just over a month now . .. those pictures are just adorable. I love (and covet) your hair! What a great color.

Cheers!

M.
  • Pamelajeanne61
    Options
    Hi! I'm relatively new to this site. I am 61 years old. I am married, and I have 3 daughters, and 8 grandchildren. I was a nurse for 30 years,but had to quit about 4 years ago due to a couple of spinal fusions that didn't go to well. I also do photography on the side. I have been following this plan for 2 weeks, but unfortunately I haven't lost anything. I'm looking to lose 10 pounds. I hope to get to know all of you. Any suggestions would be welcome!
  • sylwheat
    sylwheat Posts: 125
    Options
    Hello Ladies - new to group. Need all the help I can get. Seems I am losing focus these days. I don't want to log, I don't want to drink water. I am doing good on my exercises - even tho I am limited to walking. I am having an anterior/posterior spinal fusion on May 22 - so trying to get as much weight off as possible. I am pretty anxious about the surgery. I will be off work 2-3 months and know my exercise will be less than it has. Surgery is a scary thing.

Love all the repliesnotes/motivations I have read. Keep up the good work ladies and thanks for letting me join.
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    welcome! Have a great Tuesday Vitamin F's! Off to do taxes this aft, sigh!
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I am so happy that I actually got everything done on my to do list and then some!! Also, got in lots of stretching, two dog walks (both were short however, can't compete with the amount of dog walking Barbie does, she's inspirational!) and went back and rejoined the gym. Can't wait to get back in the pool later! Thanks to all who wished me good luck on the interview tomorrow. I'm kind of dreading it, almost cancelled, mainly because it's not a job I really want and holding out hope for a different one that I'm waiting to hear back on. I know I still need to go, if nothing else for the practice in interviewing and testing, and we really need another income at present. So many people are jobless right now, so I know I should be grateful for the opportunity.

Michele- My son informed me, when he turned 23, that he was old enough to take care of himself and not to worry about him. Totally
    agree with you, no matter what their age, we always worry. He just turned 25 and we actually had a phone conversation
    that was more than 3 minutes, so I'm happy. I really hope Bryan comes around!

Jmkmomm- Sending positive thoughts your way! I know how nerve wracking it is going through the testing with him and waiting for
    results to come in.:flowerforyou:

Sylwheat- Having surgery is definitely scary! Been there before but not with spine. This is definitely the place to come to keep your
    spirits up! Everyone here certainly supports and encourages everyone else! Not like some threads which unfortunately
    breed negativity.:frown:

Hugs to all!

Kathy:drinker:
  • btrflyrider
    btrflyrider Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh my, joined MFP today and this is just the forum I needed.

I am 53 and in need of losing 80ish pounds. A few health issues and just did not want to accept that the weight was creeping on. Motivation is tough when on 2 Dr visits my weight was going down but then yesterday's visit, the dang scale informed me that not only did I gain what I had lost but added a few more pounds on.

Today starts a new journey and I hope to make a few supportive friends on the way. :bigsmile:
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi

Mainly bumping for later. I am still in Milwaukee following my mom's funeral. My dad needs some help and I am getting many thank you notes written so my sister here doesn't have to do all of it.

Today I fly home though. It will be hard to leave, but also good to get home.

I am thinking of all of you.

Eileen...soon to be home near San Diego
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good day all.

Bumping.

It was under 40 degrees at the Phillies game last night, and it's supposed to be around 70 or 75 degrees at the Phillies game tomorrow night. Honestly, weather and "stuff" tends not to bother me, but I admit I'm getting a little sick of Spring not quite stepping up to the plate yet.

Jackie in Cherry Hill outside of Philly
  • reallymary
    Options
    Hey all - just dropping in again to mark my spot and to say how much I enjoy this group!

I hit 20lbs off today. Off for good! I have plenty more to go, but this site is helping me stay true to logging in. I have dramatically improved my water intake - and that has always been a difficult thing for me in the past. But I love filling that little water glass when I log my food in! Ha - the simple things in life!!

I was given a pitcher which has this plastic tube in it, that you add fruits or whatever to infuse your water. It works great! Today's flavor = lime/cucumber/basil. Oh my goodness, this water tastes like a spa treatment, if that is possible! :happy:

Spring-like weather is supposed to be here already, but the weather report says we wil see sunshine and temps in the 60's this week. I can't wait to get to work in my garden! I have a lot of yardwork still to do - and want to do. I enjoy reading all the gardeners' posts out there. Well, truthfully, I enjoy reading everyone's posts.

Stay strong!

Mary - enjoying the simple things in life!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Hello All: Weather is still crummy in SD. We had six inches of snow yesterday, very slushy and slippery. Had to use 4-wheel drive to get in the driveway after work yesterday. Biopsies came back from colonoscopy and were negative thank goodness. One of my April goals was to ride my horse once a week but Mother Nature has foiled me for sure on that one. Well I am off to the Minnesota Horse Expo on Thursday and will really enjoy the weekend but first must get pools opened and ready for patients today and tomorrow. Yesterday was a pool disaster but things are looking up today. Everyone take care, Sue in SD
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Ok, I apologize if this is too much information :blushing: but I am having a very emotional moment. My 13 year old is on a field trip 5 hours away and just texted me that she has become a "woman" today. :noway: My baby can now have babies - no way!!!!:sad:

And another big event happened last night. My 17 year old learned she will be getting pretty much a free ride at Vanderbilt. Time to become a country music fan!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! Hope your Tuesday is going well. We started at 7 with a test review, then did diabetes skills and then met with a couple of students and went to make assignments at the hospital. On the way back I was just craving taco bell so I stopped there for lunch. So NOT worth it. :frown: It was ok, but for the calories I could have thought of something better! Good thing we are having fish tonight!

It is still cold and windy here, about 39® (3.8®) and they are still talking about snow! I’m getting depressed with this weather. I had hoped by now to be out on the bike or walking!

Polly: what were you eating as healthy snacks? I’m always looking for new things in that category!

Gail: sending very best wishes to Nancy, her health care team, and you!:flowerforyou:

Michele: hmmmm your bars sound great!

Barbie: we will all still credit you for keeping this thread going! But honestly I always wondered how you managed to start a new thread right at 500 posts!!! :tongue:

Rozann: welcome and come back often

Renny: wish I had joined you; I was up much too late last night

Rori: KEEP that snow! :laugh:

Katla: funny! I can just see your friends face!

Linda sundance: sounds like your garden is going to be fabulous! I hope the mint doesn’t take over the yard though. I planted it once and it was ringing the doorbell!~ The first time I gardened I knew nothing about gardens. I planted 30 cucumbers. Dear god! The cucumbers were everywhere!!!!! My MIL came over and taught me how to pickle. We ate those pickles for years!!!!! The neighbors would see me going out to pick cucs with a grocery sack and they would laugh at me!!!:laugh:

Slimjoyce: welcome to our group. You are wise to just start where you are!

Amanda: the pod and the lashes sound wonderful! You deserve them both!

DeeDee: Can’t resist…..how much havoc did you cause driving with your eyes shut?:bigsmile:

Yanniejannie: I have discovered that spot for my pedometer too! I’m miserable with you in this weather

Brooke: was that from The Help?

Sonja: welcome!

Robin: jealous of your weather; please share!

Jb: hope none of those carrots went IN the nose!:wink:

Jmkmomm: keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome! Waiting is the hardest.

M: gardening is not only fun but it good exercise. I love to putter around in mine.

Pamela: welcome! There are several nurses here, including me.

Syl : welcome to our group. You will find lots of support here. Some people here have had back issues/surgery and can be particularly good support for you.

Kathy: hooray for a productive day!

Btrflyrider: welcome to the group!

Eileen: safe travels; sending hugs and good wishes:flowerforyou:

Jackie: I may have to convert to a Phillies fan to help you cheer them on!

Mary: temps in the 60s! I can only dream of it

Skuehn: you can keep that snow up there! Good news on the biopsies…I bet you are relieved.

Wessecg: you may be glad she’s gone for the first one! My daughters were nuts when they first started their periods!

Well that’s all I have at the moment. Tummy is growling at the taco bell. BLEH LOL. Live and learn! Take care, Meg:drinker:
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all,

For some reason, I'm feeling very HUNGRY today!:devil: Why is it that some days I do great and other days I just think about food all day? I've been snacking on rice cakes (had 4 of them!) which helped, but that is unusual for me. My DH will be out tonight, so I'm on my own for dinner (which could be dangerous).:noway: Sometimes I just want to graze.....in and out of the pantry looking for just the thing that will satisfy. Maybe it's this weather? COLD and WINDY! It's supposed to get warm tomorrow, so I'm hoping for a better day. I CAN BEAT THIS!

:happy: Polly - The good news is (and I need this today) that we can always start over. The chance to improve our health with better eating and exercise is there every single day so I try to make each day count. No matter how hard it might be, I keep telling myself that I can do it just this one day.....and then I tell myself the same thing the next day!

:heart: Gail - Prayers going out for your sister.

:wink: Michele - I have a wonderful relationship with my children today (38 and 42), but this was not always the case. So there is hope for you and Bryan after all!

:flowerforyou: slimjoycenow - You've taken that first important step toward better health. You can do this!

:laugh: Brooke - Loved "The HELP" reference!

:smile: jb - Those pics were adorable. Aren't kids the best?

:devil: m - Unlike you, I'm not a fan of the back-breaking work that goes into preparing the garden, but I DO love the results! I wimped out this year and found a Living Social deal where they deliver AND install the mulch!! WHOOPPEE!!

:tongue: Mary - What kind of pitcher do you have? It sounds interesting!

:flowerforyou: Cheryl - Congrats on the two big events. Both of those are wonderful in their own ways. Your little girls are growing up!

There are a lot of newcomers here with questions, and if you stick around, you will get answers and more importantly, support. Stick with us....we can do this together!

Hugs,
    Lucy in DE. :bigsmile:
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Yes, I decided to quote from “The Help” rather than just bump earlier (I couldn’t remember the name of the character who said it - - - ) Actually I still can’t, which leads me to another quote which couldn’t be more true: “Getting old ain’t for sissies” – Bette Davis :wink:

Polly – Welcome back to the road to good health. It’s never too late to be who you might have been (can’t remember who to attribute that quote to)! You are already 75% “there” in knowing healthy habits and the other 25% will come back to you by logging food and exercise and checking in here

Gail – Healing prayers for your sister Nancy! Calming prayers for you

Rozann – Welcome and congratulations on starting your health journey. As for challenges, there are many groups. In the “Community” section go to “Home” then go to “Groups”. You can also see new challenges on the “Recent Posts” section all the time.

Katla – “we win the weather award” I used to play that game with my family when I lived in San Diego (where of course I always won too) Can't remember who said it a few pages back but they said San Diego has become routinely humid, which it definitely wasn't when I lived there 20 years ago.

SundanceB – I loved your affirmation to us all: ""Have a strong week, strong in your plans to eat healthy,to nuture your body,mind and soul.Be kind to yourself and share a smile with everyone you meet! You are special!"" :flowerforyou:

SlimJoyceNow – Welcome back and good for you for taking control of your health NOW. Since you’ve been here before you know the good it can will do for you. Here’s hoping they stabilize your meds soon!

Sonja – Welcome! Join us here often for wit, wisdom and support on your journey

Jmkmomm- Hope you and DH made it through the medical maze safe and sound

M. – How nice that Mother Nature is gifting you with a weekend of fine gardening weather! Though snow here today, the weather-guessers are saying it will be 70 on Saturday --- crazy! :huh:

PamelaJeanne6 – Nice to have you with us here! Join in the conversation often and you’ll find wonderful insights and support from the women who are also on their own health journeys

Sylwheat – Natural to be nervous about any surgery, you’re wise to do what you can in advance to be as healthy as possible. See the above message, come here often for “Vitamin F” (f is for “friends”)

Btrflyrider – See messages 2 above – Welcome to MFP and to our group

Kathyszoo – Good luck getting the job offer you really want!!! (you’re right about the interview practice though)

Eileen – How nice of you to do what you could for your dad and to help your sister with the notes too. Glad to know you’re heading home, hope you have/had a safe and uneventful trip

ReallyMary – Your water sounds delicious! Congrats on your 20# success

Cheryl – Wow, I can see why emotions would be overtaking you! Such great news about your older daughter’s scholarship

Meg – I know just what you mean about your Taco Bell experience. A couple months ago I had the same reaction to a meal there, I wondered to myself “why? That was really awful.” :noway:

Brooke from Colorado
    “Small minds discuss people. Average minds discuss events. Large minds discuss ideas.”
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I'm grumpy at this moment, frustrated with DH. I told him several weeks ago that I think our power washer needs an extension for the handle because it is a pain to move from place to place with its short handle. I told him this morning that I want to USE the power washer this afternoon to wash the boat. Guess when he decided to work on the handle? AAARRRGGGHHH!:explode: :angry: :mad: :grumble:

Katla in gloriously beautiful NW Oregon where it would be a great day to wash the boat--if DH wasn't working on the power washer at this very minute.
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!! I haven't commented in forever, but still loyally logging food and exercise... We were out of town for the whole weekend and the longer I was away from being able to exercise and totally eat right... the easier it was to not do the right thing!
    I refuse to go near the scale anymore... I just totally hate being this age where the scale doesn't move even when the clothes fit better! I know I should be thankful that I'm still here and healthy... but I just want to see that scale budge lower!!!!

Aargh!

On a positive note, we spent a great weekend with our oldest dd and her fiance, took in a fun Va Tech Spring football game and visited DC for the day. Next week we go to San Diego for 5 days... it will be so hard to do right!! What do you all do when you're totally "out of pocket"? Do you count calories? Just try to eat right??? Help!!

Hope you're all having a great day!

Tammy in Va Beach