SQUATS?? I need your advice?

Options
1235»

Replies

• BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Lunges are a nice way to break up the monotony, especially if you're doing the 30 day squat challenge. Lunge in place, or do walking lunges. Hold weights in your hands with your arms at your side. Finish the lunge, lift the leg that was just behind you so your knee is bent (balancing on one leg) and do bicep curls. Put leg down lunge again, lift knee, curl, lunge, lift knee curl.

You can add a shoulder press after the curl if you want to challenge your balance. So the sequence is lunge, bend/lift knee, bicep curl, shoulder press, return curl, lunge, bend/lift knee, bicep curl, shoulder press, return curl, lunge, bend/lift knee, bicep curl, shoulder press, return curl, lunge

This not only makes the female butt/thigh become firm and perky, if you're looking for perky :), but gets some nice shoulder/arm toning in while you're doing it (and give you a rest from lunging!)

I do 3 sets of 30 (15 lunges on each leg) and use 5 lb weights, but you may want to start with no weigts, just go through the motion and work up from 1lb to 3 lb to 5lb. I like my music LOUD for this one!
  • Daresie
    Daresie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Yes, squats DO work. However, doing things such as the 30 Day Squat Challenge you see a lot on here are not ideal because too many people overestimate the importance of the basic bodyweight squat. The truth is that, in order to REALLY see the benefits from it, you should be using a substantial amount of weight. Enough to where you can't manage a 2-digit rep amount without taking a short break.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Yes, squats DO work. However, doing things such as the 30 Day Squat Challenge you see a lot on here are not ideal because too many people overestimate the importance of the basic bodyweight squat. The truth is that, in order to REALLY see the benefits from it, you should be using a substantial amount of weight. Enough to where you can't manage a 2-digit rep amount without taking a short break.

I think it really depends on a lot of things.

If you're very overweight, there might be enough weight in your torso for bodyweight squats to be an effective muscle building exercise.

There are also ways to increase the load on your legs in a bodyweight squat, like doing pistols and sumo squats.

Also consider that for true beginners, a bodywieght squat on its own could meet your criteria (not able reach a 2-digit rep amount without needing a break).

I think for most people who are just starting out bodyweight squats are more than enough. The 30 day challenge is a little overkill towards the end but if it keeps a person motivated then it's a good thing to do. They can always move on to the barbell once they have that foundation there.

Personally, I prefer squats with a barbell even though body weight squats would probably be enough for me. I just find them more enjoyable, but I could see how not everyone would feel that way.
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    im trying the 30 day squat challenge. watching my calories for a week and doing the squats and my mom came over and made a comment about my thighs already. i hope its the squats. try it it cant hurt:)
    Im on day 3......are you doing them with weights?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    im trying the 30 day squat challenge. watching my calories for a week and doing the squats and my mom came over and made a comment about my thighs already. i hope its the squats. try it it cant hurt:)
    Im on day 3......are you doing them with weights?

If you're using weights the 30 Day Squat challenge is not ideal for you. You should be using high weight, low reps. The 30 Day Squat challenge is mainly a not-as-effective alternative for people who don't have access to weights.