No Food, Just Ice & Water for 3 days!!

Options
So I need some feedback please.

Today I am on Day number One of Water Fasting. I have been up 6 hours with out eating.
Feeling fine so far. Still have energy. No headache.
Has anyone else done this before? I have juice fasted before . Some people
are very "For" it, while others do not like the idea of Water fasting.

I have choosen to do this to rid my body of toxins. Cleanse my colon (sorry if that is TMI)
as well as spiritual purposes.

I plan to drink only water, or chew ice. No longer than 3 days though.

A lot of people on raw diets do this one day per week. And since I no longer
am eating meat. ((Meat Free Since December 2009))
I thought it would give me a good chance to get rid of all that stuff in my body,
from eating bad over the years.

:wink:

Replies

• yojibalinese
    Options
    I'm not sold on colon cleansing. I've read so much about how bad it can be for you. And while fasting for religious purposes is one thing, it take a toll on the body. You might find this article interesting: http://www.livescience.com/health/060808_bad_colon.html
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    To each its own...if you want to do it in that form, good luck and the best to you...I prefer just taking a simple colon cleanser which works wonders and body wrapping.....alot of people do the fast things to cleanse your system but there are many ways to cleanse your system without having to go without.....anywho, best of luck.....if you get to a point of absolute hunger and cant take it, i'd suggest fruits or soup because if you eat heavy after a fast, i have witness people get sick from that.
  • SemiSweetRae
    Options
    Just don't go over board. Know your limitations. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with a short fast, but you have to return to eating slowing and with light and easily digested foods. Being that you don't eat meat, this shouldn't be too difficult. Good luck!
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    To each its own...if you want to do it in that form, good luck and the best to you...I prefer just taking a simple colon cleanser which works wonders and body wrapping.....alot of people do the fast things to cleanse your system but there are many ways to cleanse your system without having to go without.....anywho, best of luck.....if you get to a point of absolute hunger and cant take it, i'd suggest fruits or soup because if you eat heavy after a fast, i have witness people get sick from that.

Yes, soup is always good after a fast =0) I have tried juice fasting before .
    With veggie juice. I do not like those GNC products to cleanse.
    I am trying the water fasting , and will let every one know how I feel this time tomorrow . :wink:
    When I did the juice fast, I lost three pounds in 3 days. I felt better mentally and physically. Most important Spiritually.
    It also helped me to eat less after the fast, and to control my portions better.
    Thank's for responding :flowerforyou:

Ps. I have never heard of body wrapping
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    To each his own but I don't believe in cleansing because you will never rid of your body of something that is bad altogether. Just eat healthy and do this the healthy way. My 2 cents.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced or heard of anyone benefiting from multiple day fasting unless it was religious or political. Weight loss, detoxing, or other health goals can be met much easier with less stress to the system by many other tried and true methods. (many of them included in this thread). Let us know if you found it beneficial for your long term goals afterward.
  • twyman
    twyman Posts: 4
    Options
    There is a whole religous belief based on fasting. I don't believe it, but check this out. SOmepeople believe if you can fast long enough you will live forever.
    http://www.meditationexpert.com/meditation-techniques/m_Fasting_Cultivation_Practice.html
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Cleanse your colon? Ugh, get your facts right. You have the most effective detoxification system in your body already. It's called your liver. Detox methods do not work; they were schemed up by the weight loss industry. If it's for religious reasons, fine. Do what you want.

But, you're going to kill yourself.
  • FS45
    FS45 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello "No Food...", I have been reading "Making the Cut" by Jillian Michaels (she is so awesome and knows what she is talking about!). And in her book there is a section on Fasting and Cleansing, it is very interesting, she says that she is against any fasting and cleansing because it is disastrous for your metabolism and for your long term health. She goes on to say that "fasting depletes the body of important nutrients, essential minerals and energy and it is totally ineffective and counterproductive for weight loss". She says in her book that the few pounds that are lost in the beginning of the fast are only from water...which once you stop your "fast" the water will come back. Jillian says that she fasted for 7 days (I know that you say you are only doing it for 3...) and she lost 8lbs...2 weeks after her fast was over she gained 15lbs BACK! AND that it took her metabolism 6 MONTHS to get back on track.

As I read on the section explained some of the side effects of "fasting" and they include: weakness, nausea, headaches, and can even induse depression. In some extreme cases, extended fasts lead to disturbances of heart rhythm and death!

She goes on to say that "for those of you that think that you are going to detoxify your system, that theory is a load of BULL. There has been no EVIDENCE to suggest that toxins are removed from fat cells when fasting. Infact, you burn very little fat when you are fasting, and what you do burn is mostly MUSCLE. The best way to detox your system is to start eating right, drinking lots of water, and letting exercise burn all your stored fat." She goes on to say that unless you are fasting for RELIGIOUS purposes or are under doctors orders to treat a specific illness, AVOID fasting or toxin flushing at all costs.

I just wanted to pass this information along, I had no idea about this and found this very very interesting. I hope that this helps you. Good luck on your weight loss journey!

Making the Cut by Jillian Michaels- Awesome book to have as information!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    So I need some feedback please.

Today I am on Day number One of Water Fasting. I have been up 6 hours with out eating.
    Feeling fine so far. Still have energy. No headache.
    Has anyone else done this before? I have juice fasted before . Some people
    are very "For" it, while others do not like the idea of Water fasting.

I have choosen to do this to rid my body of toxins. Cleanse my colon (sorry if that is TMI)
    as well as spiritual purposes.

I plan to drink only water, or chew ice. No longer than 3 days though.

A lot of people on raw diets do this one day per week. And since I no longer
    am eating meat. ((Meat Free Since December 2009))
    I thought it would give me a good chance to get rid of all that stuff in my body,
    from eating bad over the years.

:wink:

I did an experiment once, ate nothing but fruit all week, along with water. Granted, I lost 14lb in one week, belly went flat as a pancake, but it was only an experiment. At the beginning of it, I told my husband what I was going to do and said that it was for one week and one week only. I knew it was all come back on afterwards, I just wanted to see what would happen.

Regarding the water only, I did work with a woman, who, for one month would drink nothing but cooled boiled water and grapes. Asking her why she did this, her answer was to cleanse her toxins out. However, the headaches she suffered were not to be envied and she never looked healthy afterwards. In fact, she couldn't wait to finish it and swore that if she never saw another grape, it wouldn't be a moment too soon :laugh:

I have never known anybody to be on a water only diet though, only the fruit thingy.

I am rambling now, time to depart, best of luck with your water only fast :flowerforyou:
  • softlyspoken68
    Options
    If it's for Spiritual reasons and you feel God absolutely leading you to do this to focus less on food
    then i'm all for it
    if it's strictly for weightloss
    i'm against it...
    Good luck
    and pray during your fast or you gain nothing
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i think three days of no food and just water is extreme. consider doing it one day a week for three weeks. you are not jesus, honey. your body NEEDS food. praying for your safety and health.
    dawn
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    Options
    I know a lot of people who do water fasts. Some for a day, some for a week. I don't know how they do it but they do. I once worked with a man who fasted every Friday.

Nowhere in your post did I read that you were doing this for weight loss so I think it's okay. I really have no opinon on it one way or another but just wanted to say good luck.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Chewing ice is not good for your teeeth. Drinking just water should be fine. The longest I've fasted is 30 hours and it was for a youth group thing... we raised money for starving kids in Africa. :happy:
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I have fasted for different lengths of time whether, nothing, water, juice or fasting from certain food items. The times I have done it was soley for spiritual reasons. If you are consecrating for that reason and that is what God put on your heart to do then He will take you through it.

I have also found that those that fast on a regular basis for spiritual reasons tend to be slim in general. There is a reason why God tells us to fast and pray. A juice fast is great for detoxing, but when you do nothing and water only, unless it is spiritual it isn't wise to do it for weight loss.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I have fasted for different lengths of time whether, nothing, water, juice or fasting from certain food items. The times I have done it was soley for spiritual reasons. If you are consecrating for that reason and that is what God put on your heart to do then He will take you through it.

I have also found that those that fast on a regular basis for spiritual reasons tend to be slim in general. There is a reason why God tells us to fast and pray. A juice fast is great for detoxing, but when you do nothing and water only, unless it is spiritual it isn't wise to do it for weight loss.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Hello "No Food...", I have been reading "Making the Cut" by Jillian Michaels (she is so awesome and knows what she is talking about!). And in her book there is a section on Fasting and Cleansing, it is very interesting, she says that she is against any fasting and cleansing because it is disastrous for your metabolism and for your long term health. She goes on to say that "fasting depletes the body of important nutrients, essential minerals and energy and it is totally ineffective and counterproductive for weight loss". She says in her book that the few pounds that are lost in the beginning of the fast are only from water...which once you stop your "fast" the water will come back. Jillian says that she fasted for 7 days (I know that you say you are only doing it for 3...) and she lost 8lbs...2 weeks after her fast was over she gained 15lbs BACK! AND that it took her metabolism 6 MONTHS to get back on track.

As I read on the section explained some of the side effects of "fasting" and they include: weakness, nausea, headaches, and can even induse depression. In some extreme cases, extended fasts lead to disturbances of heart rhythm and death!

She goes on to say that "for those of you that think that you are going to detoxify your system, that theory is a load of BULL. There has been no EVIDENCE to suggest that toxins are removed from fat cells when fasting. Infact, you burn very little fat when you are fasting, and what you do burn is mostly MUSCLE. The best way to detox your system is to start eating right, drinking lots of water, and letting exercise burn all your stored fat." She goes on to say that unless you are fasting for RELIGIOUS purposes or are under doctors orders to treat a specific illness, AVOID fasting or toxin flushing at all costs.

I just wanted to pass this information along, I had no idea about this and found this very very interesting. I hope that this helps you. Good luck on your weight loss journey!

Wait, doesn't Jillian have a detox/cleansing product?
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    :smile: Your body already has amazing cleansing abilities because of your liver. Fasting for extended periods of time can actually prevent your organs from working as effectively which would be countereffective.

With all respect, I haven't heard of a religion that promotes fasting for that long. In my religion, once-a-month you go 24 hours without food or drink, and then donate the money that you would've spent on those meals to those in need in your area. It isn't harmful, but still takes my focus off of food onto something more important.

As for juice cleanses and colon cleanses, they are a total scam. Although they are a short-term solution, it's a "waste" of time in the long run.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options

Wait, doesn't Jillian have a detox/cleansing product?

Haha! I love that you noticed this. It just goes to show that even supposed "experts" can get drawn into marketing and self promotion. Even though Jillian blatantly states that these products are not effective, her company/agents/promoters/etc still talk her into putting her name on all sorts of products that may or may not work to help their bottom line. This happens a lot.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Yes, soup is always good after a fast =0) I have tried juice fasting before .
    With veggie juice. I do not like those GNC products to cleanse.
    I am trying the water fasting , and will let every one know how I feel this time tomorrow . :wink:
    When I did the juice fast, I lost three pounds in 3 days. I felt better mentally and physically. Most important Spiritually.
    It also helped me to eat less after the fast, and to control my portions better.
    Thank's for responding :flowerforyou:

Ps. I have never heard of body wrapping

you "lost" three pounds in that time because your intestines were empty. As soon as you resume normal eating, your intestine and colon fill back up with the new food and your "weight loss" disappears.

Your liver and kidneys do all the "flushing" you need. Your body isn't full of toxins, or old poo from years back. If you still had poo in you that you made years ago from your non-veg days, you'd be dead.

To each his own when it comes to religious pursuits, but from a health point of view, fasting is not productive and can be harmful.