What Is It About Bacon?

Options
What is it about bacon that makes people like it so much? I don't think any other meat product brings out emotions (not sure how else to say it) in people. Even here on MFP, I've seen people refusing to give up bacon.

Personally, I'm not into it. As a kid, the jelly-like fat on it gave me the creeps. There were classic battles at the breakfast table between my refusal to eat it and my dad telling me about all the starving kids in the world. Although, I could never see how two little strips of bacon could feed people. As an adult, I can't see the value as it doesn't seem like you get any meat. Overall, I just never acquired a taste for it.

So what's your bacon story? Why do you like it, or not?

Replies

• dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't like bacon either! People always look at me like I'm crazy when I say that I don't eat bacon but it's the truth. Although if I order a burger or sandwich somewhere and theres bacon in it, i'll eat it.

Ham or turkey bacon is alright, but meh. I just do not see the crazy appeal that it's got - according to the rest of the world. lol
  • angelbaby75
    angelbaby75 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love Turkey bacon because it is crisp. I hate the gross slimy fat all over regular bacon and don't see the point either.
  • creatureofthewind
    Options
    I work with food and I am always using bacon. I think it's the flavor people like. It gives salads, burgers, eggs, potatoes, soups, etc a kick. I think it's a meat lover's condiment.
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    you know what's better than bacon? more bacon! but seriously i don't know what it is about it but i like it. in that same breath i also couldn't tell you the last time i had some, maybe christmas time?
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I used to like bacon a lot more when I was a child. Nowadays eating it every once in awhile is good. Generally I find it too salty (same with hotdogs) now, and it gives me heartburn.

I will say this though, I went to this bar and grill not too long ago, and tried these 50/50 burger sliders. 50% beef, 50% bacon. It was GLORIOUS.

Also, I'm pretty sure bacon is an internet meme, lol.
  • baja572
    baja572 Posts: 94
    Options
    I love bacon ,:love::love: crispy bacon...
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    you know what's better than bacon? more bacon!

PERFECTLY SAID! lol I didnt eat bacon for probably two years and when I got on MFP, I just couldnt hold out any longer!!! But it is a great addition to my day I just fit it in.

And PS< when we were younger I had a cousin, and if he got in trouble during the week his punishment was that he could only have HALF a piece of bacon on Saturday morning when his dad made it. OK, so to anyone who LOVES BACON, eating half a piece is waaayyyyy worse than not eating any. LOL we used to torture him when we were eating breakfast those days :laugh:
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    What is it about bacon that makes people like it so much?

The fat-protein-carbohydrate calorie ratio makes it a perfect ketogenic food.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    It's meat candy.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I don't think any other meat product brings out emotions in people.

Quoted just because this line made me laugh in how true it is! haha! :P
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    <--- Extra crispy deliciousness.
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Watch EPIC MEAL TIME on YOUTUBE and you'll see why lolz
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Bacon is a smokey, savoury, salty, sweet compliment to the palate, perfect alone or as a compliment to many other dishes. :)
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I don't like bacon as much as I used to. My husband, on the other hand, practically worships it. I buy 1.5 lbs at a time because we run out so fast. BLTs, bacon/egg/cheese grilled sandwiches, in mashed potatoes, with any meal...even for a snack, he'll eat it anytime.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is not real bacon it is a fake. Real bacon is fried in a pan with the grease drained and patted off with a paper towel like how our Mothers and Grandmothers made it. B.L.T's, bacon salads, bacon omelets ,etc are heavenly. Just get the bacon with only pork, water, sea salt, brown sugar in the ingredients and you are good to go! A couple pieces a week is fine.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Ever heard of Umami? It's a loan word from the Japanese and it's one of the 5 basic tastes together with sweet, sour, bitter and salty. The optimum umami taste depends also on the amount of salt, and at the same time, low-salt foods can maintain a satisfactory taste with the appropriate amount of umami. Bacon has just that amount.
    Most humans' first encounter with umami is breast milk. Put that together with the fact that the fat in the bacon literally melts in your mouth, it also has something sensual to it.
    Is it then any wonder that a lot of people are crazy about bacon? I know I am (although I don't eat it often since here in China they add either MSG in the local products or it's ridiculously expensive if it's imported).
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I love bacon. Everybody I know loves bacon.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Ever heard of Umami? It's a loan word from the Japanese and it's one of the 5 basic tastes together with sweet, sour, bitter and salty. The optimum umami taste depends also on the amount of salt, and at the same time, low-salt foods can maintain a satisfactory taste with the appropriate amount of umami. Bacon has just that amount.
    Most humans' first encounter with umami is breast milk. Put that together with the fact that the fat in the bacon literally melts in your mouth, it also has something sensual to it.
    Is it then any wonder that a lot of people are crazy about bacon? I know I am (although I don't eat it often since here in China they add either MSG in the local products or it's ridiculously expensive if it's imported).

Did not know all of that, thanks for sharing!
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I've never had american bacon but it looks really fatty. Short cut bacon with the fat cut off is superior,

In saying that, I haven't had bacon in about 9 years I think due to me no eat animals now. I do enjoy facon though.
  • MissDennisse
    Options
    I think its the smell and the taste of the fat melting in your mouth..??? lol!! I don't eat bacon much but when I do, I really enjoy it!