ALWAYS hungry. HELP

Options

Replies

• kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Someone above mentioned this, but I just wanted to highlight it again:

Nicotine withdrawals do feel like hunger, because cravings for nicotine come from around the same area of the brain that food cravings come from. This is why those who have just stopped smoking usually see a weight gain. The body is confusing nicotine withdrawal with hunger, and then you get caught in a feedback loop. You crave a cigarette, but that feels like hunger so you eat, you always used to smoke a cigarette after eating so your brain is trained to expect nicotine after food so it starts to crave a cigarette again, but that feels like hunger so you eat. And so on, and so on, and so on.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that it might not be actual hunger that you're feeling right now at all.
  • jayrae87
    jayrae87 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you are cutting back on what you were eating before calorie-wise, you're going to think you're still hungry. Never full isn't a bad thing if you're eating in your target range. Give it a week or two and see if you start feeling less hungry. I also agree that withdrawals from the cigarettes could be the culprit of that hunger.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Check out the BBC documentary "10 things you need to know about losing weight"

There's a couple things in there about how to keep from having hunger pangs. They explain why it works.

It also goes into other things like how we inherently look for variety in food and why that makes us over eat at buffets, how we underestimate how many calories we take in each day and how healthy foods, while they provide us with vital micronutrients, do have calories too and you can still gain body fat by eating too much of them.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have 2 guesses... First, I can tell you as an insulin dependent diabetic, episodes of low blood sugar will make you feel RAVENOUS because your body knows that you need that food to live! So, eating a properly balanced diet to avoid episodes of hypoglycemia will help. Second, if you're trying to quit smoking, your body is just telling you to put something in your mouth out of habit. I know, as a former smoker. Keep fighting - you will get through this! It would probably help to enlist the assistance of a dietician, who can help you develop a food plan to keep your sugars level. Best of luck!
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    id say eat more lower GI foods
    change white rice to brown rice, potatoes to sweet potatoes, more whole wheat bread rather than white
    I used to have the same problem and thats what my doctor told me to do

http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

examples of low and high GI foods

Thanks! I will check into that.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    For some reason it feels like I am never full anymore.

I have tried snacking healthy and drinking more water but that still only works for about an hour. I do not make time to eat small meals every few hours but have given consideration that this may help. I have not been diagnosed, but believe that I may have hypoglycemia since I get light headed and disorientated if I do not eat every few hours. Does anyone have any suggestions or is there anyone else whom also has this problem?

Also, I quit smoking about a month ago so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

This is only my personal experience I'm speaking from and not research or science or anything, but I had this EXACT problem for a year straight, and then I gave up meat except for eggs and fish and I haven't had a single problem since. Not one. I still get hungry of course, but I am no longer a chain-snacking bottomless pit for which there is no solace. Good luck with this! I know how much it sucks and I hope you find something that works for you. :)
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    Nicotine withdrawal feels like hunger. It creates an "empty" feeling in your stomach area. When you quit smoking it can also affect your blood sugars, which is why I recommend stoppers (because you aren't a quitter) to try to regularly take sips of fruit juice. If you are curious as to what other effects stopping smoking has on the body try reading The Easyway to Stop Smoking by Allan Carr, even though you have already purged the nicotine from your body there are still some lingering affects.

And, congratulations on THAT milestone! :flowerforyou:

I'm not sure I would be experiencing withdrawals two months after quitting.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Took a look at you food logs - you need to be tracking carbs - if your doc says to restrict fat you can just track total fat grams not all the subsets - it will let you see your carbs per meal. The total amount of carbs you are eating per meal is very high if you have pancreatic issues too. High carbs drive your blood sugar high which then drive you insulin levels high and then cause rebound hypoglycemia which can makes you feel extremely hungry, shaky, sweaty, dizzy, lightheaded etc. lower carbs and higher protein intake will help.

Fast carbs especially will do this - as in white carbs with little fiber - wheat -rice - potato etc.
    You might want to talk to your MD and consider getting a blood sugar meter and do some testing to see what your blood sugars are doing 90-120 minutes after meal.
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    I know in the morning what helps me get through the day is oatmeal made with almond milk and a little protein powder topped with cinnamon & blueberries. Sometimes I put sliced almonds in it. It keeps me full for hours!

Omg that sounds delicious. I have never tried putting protein powder in oatmeal. I will have to give that a shot. Perhaps by having a high protein breakfast will keep me full longer. Good idea!
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    Do you drink coffee? A cup around mid-morning helps me make it to lunch if I don't want to eat something.

Rarely. I only drink caffeine if I am very tired. Even then I prefer green tea to coffee. Thanks for your suggestion. :)
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    I actually cannot eat peanut butter but love cinnamon on my toast in the mornings so will try that.

are you allergic? peanut butter is awesome.

more protein. honestly. also porridge for breakfast is boss. you shouldn't need to eat special pills - i.e cinnamon, probably just up your protein and fibre.

eat carrots. i found this handy. carrots have a lot of fibre, and low cals so when i feel hungry in-between meals I have a large carrot and it will literally make you not hungry.

I also used to eat a large carrot before eating a snack bar, as when you want the snack bar you are trying to satisfy hunger, and it doesnt work cause its just a processed bar of carby sh^t. haha.

CARROTS TO SAVE THE DAY! its natures candy bar.

but yah, I was hungry a lot before I started eating more protein and fibre. thats a universal thing I'd say.

No I am not, but my dr told me to avoid it; there is a concentrated amount of fat in just a tablespoon. I really do miss it; especially on celery.

As I mentioned before, my fiber is in normal range for an average diet. I do love carrots though so will see what I can do.

Have you heard of PB2? it's powdered peanut butter. much less fat. all you have to do is mix it with a little water to get peanut butter or you can put it in smoothies and stuff.

Funny that you mention.it; I just discovered this product yesterday and plan on ordering some. :)
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    Took a look at you food logs - you need to be tracking carbs - if your doc says to restrict fat you can just track total fat grams not all the subsets - it will let you see your carbs per meal. The total amount of carbs you are eating per meal is very high if you have pancreatic issues too. High carbs drive your blood sugar high which then drive you insulin levels high and then cause rebound hypoglycemia which can makes you feel extremely hungry, shaky, sweaty, dizzy, lightheaded etc. lower carbs and higher protein intake will help.

Fast carbs especially will do this - as in white carbs with little fiber - wheat -rice - potato etc.
    You might want to talk to your MD and consider getting a blood sugar meter and do some testing to see what your blood sugars are doing 90-120 minutes after meal.

That makes a lot of sense since diabetics have to watch their carbs as well. Do you have a link to the resource you used or was this just something you know? I would love to learn more. :)

I am going to bring up my blood sugar issue with my Dr next visit and will consider buying a blood sugar monitor.

Thanks!
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    From the diary day that I looked at it seems you eat a TON of calories in the morning and then have lighter stuff through the day. Also you have a lot of carbs in your diet which are the fastest to digest leaving you hungry sooner. Protein doesn't always equal fat and cholesterol. Fish provide much needed omega 3 fatty acids, also chicken and beans are good. Green leafy vegetables and brown rice or sweet potatoes are good carbs for people with glycemia problems. If push comes to shove you can always go to xyngular.com and order some cheat pills which contain water soluable fiber that expands in your stomach making you feel full. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your suggestion. I think the majority of times I have had a heavy breakfast is when I go out to eat so I will keep an eye on this.

Also, I am more so interested in the natural approach rather than taking pills.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Your protein seems low. I would also remove transfats or saturate fat and replace it with carbs. I have a feeling your carbs are really high.

Also, don't worry about buying cinnamon pills, they wont' really do anything.

I will see if I can find some other substitutions for protein since I cannot have very much fat in my diet.

My carbs average around 300g per day; which is normal.

fat free/low fat Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, whey protein powder, vegetarian meat alternatives, beans, legumes, quinoa, lean meats, etc.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and here are my thoughts for what they're worth. You're not getting enough calories. You're only getting about your BMR - enough to keep you alive. Also, not nearly enough fat and protein. Carbs do not fill you up. Indeed, they make you hungry. Fats and proteins make you feel full for hours and you end up actually eating less.

You probably need to find out how many calories you "really" need. Do not go by this site. It's not right. Then add some coconut oil, olive oil, etc and some grass fed beef, turkey, chicken and lots of fish. Add a protein shake if necessary.
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    This is only my personal experience I'm speaking from and not research or science or anything, but I had this EXACT problem for a year straight, and then I gave up meat except for eggs and fish and I haven't had a single problem since. Not one. I still get hungry of course, but I am no longer a chain-snacking bottomless pit for which there is no solace. Good luck with this! I know how much it sucks and I hope you find something that works for you. :)

I was vegetarian for a year; I am unsure if it was due to the diet change but I lost 20 lbs. After I returned to a "regular" diet I gained back the weight and then some. I think what may have contributed as well was being cognizant of what I was eating.
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    I looked at your diary and here are my thoughts for what they're worth. You're not getting enough calories. You're only getting about your BMR - enough to keep you alive. Also, not nearly enough fat and protein. Carbs do not fill you up. Indeed, they make you hungry. Fats and proteins make you feel full for hours and you end up actually eating less.

You probably need to find out how many calories you "really" need. Do not go by this site. It's not right. Then add some coconut oil, olive oil, etc and some grass fed beef, turkey, chicken and lots of fish. Add a protein shake if necessary.

Could you please provide a reliable resource which states the recommended caloric intake?

I would assume that MFP is correct since it is based on my lifestyle (sedentary) and my goal of loosing 1lb per week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options

Could you please provide a reliable resource which states the recommended caloric intake?

I would assume that MFP is correct since it is based on my lifestyle (sedentary) and my goal of loosing 1lb per week.

Post your height, weight, and workout routine and we can estimate your numbers.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Smoking will definitely have an effect.. However, to help, eat more fiber dense foods, and drink lots of water :)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I am also always hungry. Some people are apparently just like that.