Do you have gut problems or low energy?

Options
13»

Replies

• christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if any of you could tell me if you have any of the above, and how much bread/pasta/wheat you eat in a day?

-Low energy
    -IBS
    -OCD
    -Phobia's
    -Low back pain

I really want to see if there is a link between these foods and these health problems.

I always feel better when I avoid bread/pasta/wheat. I have IBS and GURD. I used to have low energy but I don't now. I can't contribute it all to eating less of those because I'm also taking medicine that gives me more energy. However, when I eat gluten or dairy products (yes, I have sensitivities to both... ) I feel miserable...bloated, tightness in my chest, GURD acts up. Dairy also gives me gas and "other issues". I try to eat mostly protein, fruits and veggies because that's when I feel better. My stomach also goes way down when I eliminate gluten and dairy from my diet. I'm not perfect because I do love that type of food. I hate the way they make me feel though. I didn't have problems with these foods when I was younger, it started a few years ago and seems to get progressively worse the older I get.

By the way, I made the mistake of eating a fiber one a couple of hours ago and have been miserable since...bloating, tightness in chest, similar to how I feel after eating breads, pasta, etc.
  • Uhhhlexxxis
    Uhhhlexxxis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I suffered from low energy, nausea, and digestive problems for a long time. When I eliminated all gluten they quickly disappeared,
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    How does bread/pasta/wheat affect a person as far as OCD, back pain and paranoia's go? o.O Seriously.

I...you know....nevermind. Not wanting to stick my toe in that water. Gonna go back ashore now....
  • MasterKat
    MasterKat Posts: 149
    Options
    Before I changed my ways... I used have some MAJOR stomach/gut issues. I use to eat a lot of processed/boxed food and don't get me started on fast food. Ever since I cleaned up my foods all my issues have pretty much went away. If I do choose to eat something too greasy or fatty... my gut tends to pay me back at the worst of times and I get super sleepy.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Read "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. I keep wheat out of my diet most of the time. When I don't the arthritis and inflammation flares up.

Worth a read.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have increased wheat in my diet recently. Since then my gut issues have disappeared. Before I was having a lot of fat in my diet, that seemed to have caused my issues.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to tell me if I give up wheat, I'll be able to cuddle up to spiders??? :huh: :noway:
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    The "trendy comments" do not comment on people with actual allergies and sensitivities avoiding those foods that trigger problems, they have to do with the hype and marketing around promoting "wheat free" as a cure-all.

Sorry to say, but if you go back ten years you read about people being cured of all sorts of ills by doing the latest fad diet, and one often sees similar references to vague and unexplained symptoms going away thanks to following the latest irrefutable evidence. As the people making money off of the process expand more and more, wheat and gluten will become the cause of more and more "problems", until it they start at fade away only to be replaced by another pseudoscientific theory. All these theories will be promoted by someone with "Dr" before their name, because people still assume medical school gives one some kind of secret knowledge or powers not accessible by people with much more time on their hands than the typical clinician.

It's all about making money.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if any of you could tell me if you have any of the above, and how much bread/pasta/wheat you eat in a day?

-Low energy
    -IBS
    -OCD
    -Phobia's
    -Low back pain

I really want to see if there is a link between these foods and these health problems.

I have some gut issues, low back pain and who doesn't have some phobias, eh?

I eat very little to no pasta/bread/wheat in a day.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Asking people in this way is guaranteed to get biased results. People tend to answer what they think you want to hear.

An example of a good study for this type of question would be to pick a sample of people with these symptoms and then ask them how much wheat they consume, alongside other food types. Then you pick a group of people without these and see how much they consume. Then you see if the first group have a higher intake than the second. That is a case-control study, looking back in time.

^^^^ this

or you can get 2 groups with these problems who eat wheat, then one group carries on with their normal diet, the other group eliminates wheat, and see if any individuals in either group show any improvement in symptoms.

additionally, it's well documented in the scientific literature that some people have undiagnosed wheat allergies and/or intolerances... those people will have symptoms, then when they cut wheat out of their diet, the symptoms go away. In some people, intolerance to wheat can cause very serious gut problems and eating wheat, for those people, is dangerous. None of this is new to science, it's very well documented and known about. The problem is that there are a lot of health "gurus" who blame all ills on wheat, and tell everyone to cut wheat out of their diet. The reality is that if you have a wheat allergy or intolerance, giving up wheat will make you feel a lot better, and you should avoid wheat altogether. If you don't have that, whether or not you have any symptoms of wheat intolerance (the same symptoms could be caused by a whole lot of other things, e.g. stress, allergy or intolerance to any food other than wheat, a chronic low level infection, digestive system disorders etc) giving up wheat will not help. It's really that simple. Anyone who has these kinds of problems (not sure where phobias come into it though...) could always try giving up wheat to see if it helps, but in many cases it won't because the problems are often caused by other things besides undiagnosed wheat allergy/intolerance. (again, not sure how an allergy/intolerance to wheat can cause phobias other than a phobia of eating wheat products)
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My stomach/ digestive system is usually pretty fine unless I eat crap. If something happens I usually know why immediately.

I've had back pain since I was a kid. My doctor when I was 12 told me to stretch more, when at the time (& for several years) I had about a dozen plus hours of ballet & other dance a week, so I knew it wasn't that.

I don't really eat processed carbs. I have pasta for dinner about 3 times a week, & it's usually organic & mostly made with brown rice. I tried whole wheat pastas but they just weren't appealing to me.

I had a really bad problem with being tired & low energy for years. Doctors couldn't figure it out & tests I had came back negative for things (also around the time I was having a lot of other heath issues & gaining weight) so I decided to do more in-depth research, particularly with food & nutrients on my own.
    I now take iron & B12 supplements daily & I really feel like that has made a huge difference the past few months. Night & day really. I used to take B Complex, but narrowed it down to B12, and followed my iron intake for awhile (daily for a few months) & saw I only *maybe* got 1/2 as much as I needed. Illnesses that you can get from iron deficiency, although my tests came back nil, mimicked a lot of my symptoms. I don't really eat a lot of meat (where there's usually lots of iron & Bs) & although vegetarians can get enough of their nutrients, I just don't really like eating some foods & I want to consistently get enough iron every day.
  • matisse216
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies and private messages!
    I have really learnt a lot more about the benefits of gluten free and will definitely continue it in my lifestyle.

And about the whole money making thing.. I have not spent a cent on any silly books or products, so I can't imagine where they would be making money from me simply avoiding the bread/pasta isle.

Once again, thanks guys!

Matisse :flowerforyou: