High Protein, low fat food help

Options
I am having a hard time getting the protein I need without a bunch of fat attached. Anyone got suggestions of some foods that are low fat, high protein.
Also interested in some cheaper protein powders. What kind do you get, what is the price and how is the taste? Want to start doing smoothies for breakfast so some recipes with the powder would be awesome too. Thanks :)

Replies

• tiddlebit11
    tiddlebit11 Posts: 182
    Options
    BEANS!!!! High in protein and basically no fat :D
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    bump- struggling with my macros too. chickpeas and lentils are good protein, but high sodium.

ETA- there are a bunch of foods high in protein- eggs, tuna, chicken, etc, but it does take a lot of foresight to prepare them. i usually keep about 6 hard boiled eggs in the fridge to snack on. For breakfast i have natural yoghurt mixed with extra low fat ricotta (with a bit of fruit and honey- basically a good smoothie without the blending)- all good sources of protein.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna is probably your best way to go. Cheap and a good source of protein.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast is always a winner, also greek yoghurt (chobani 0% is awesome and I've heard good things about fage but we can't get that here)
  • HerrStanfield
    Options
    Chicken Breast, Turkey, Fish, Lean cuts of beef.
  • 5erious
    5erious Posts: 469
    Options
    eggs, fish, chicken, beans
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, beans/lentils, salmon, cottage cheese, soybeans, boneless skinless chicken/turkey, tofu, beef jerky, PB2, Greek yogurt.

For protein shakes, powder or bars I like Jay Robb vanilla whey powder, Kirkland premier protein vanilla shakes & Pure Protein chocolate peanut butter and Pure Protein chocolate chip cookie.
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    you can check out my diary, Im currently using targets version of whey protein but don't care for it, but I have tried many and my favorite is Blue Bonnet whey isolate in vanilla.

As far as protein goes, try greek yogurts watch out for high carbs, lots of sugar get plain add stevia or just a non fat vanilla ones is great too. Quinoa has a nice amount of protein, beans, lentils, peanut butter with the Good fat, Im obsessed with Peanut and company's chocolate dreams right now. Create your own protein bars so simple and cheaper.

Chicken, fish, ground turkey, cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs, nuts, milk, egg whites so many foods with good protein sources.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time getting the protein I need without a bunch of fat attached. Anyone got suggestions of some foods that are low fat, high protein.
    Also interested in some cheaper protein powders. What kind do you get, what is the price and how is the taste? Want to start doing smoothies for breakfast so some recipes with the powder would be awesome too. Thanks :)

Fat is important.

ON's is pretty cheap, buy it online and in a decent volume, and you don't have to sacrifice quality.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Before i answer the protein part, let me just caution you, FAT is a friend, not a foe! Eating somewhere between 25-30 % of your daily caloric intake helps ward of hunger as it keeps you satiated longer. Aim to get good fats from avocado, nuts (peanut, almonds, walnuts) seeds(sunflower, flax, chia, pumpkin, sesame, hemp [which btw, is a good source of protein, too) , coconut beverage/milk, and fatty fish like salmon which also give hefty doses of protein. Be ry that less fat usually means more flavor in the form of sugar or artificial sweeteners... If i were going to get extra calories id prefer it come from fat than sugar. Just my opinion and preference.

Since increasing my fat i actually lost weight and feel fuller, longer which helps me from overeating.

Now, as far as high protein, low fat.... Greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese (per ounce has more protein than beef), fish (tilapia filets), tuna fish in packets (low sodium if you can find it), smart dogs (vegetarian), peas, lentils, soy products like tofu and edamame, egg whites (although, in moderation the yellow wont hurt and at about 70 calories per egg a good option)

As far as protein powder i like to change mine up on occasion. I used to drink soy protein but, as a vegetarian, i thought i was eating too much soy so i began to experiment. I like Peaceful Plant African Vanilla brown rice protein. I have also tried Nutiva Hemp protein. It isn't fantastic tasting but, to me, its palatable when i mixed it in with a packet of flavored oatmeal and a mashed banana. I only bought a few single serve packets to try it, i think they cost like $1.99 each. One serving (30 grams) has 90 calories, 15 grams of protein and 3 grams of fat.
    However, i happened upon Isopure zero carb protein powder, i bought the creamy vanilla. It is a very mild vanilla, barely taste it. I like it mixed in with plain or vanilla greek yogurt and/or cottage cheese and some fresh or frozen fruit. A 3 pound container cost $70 if not on sale but i have found on sale in a local store as well as online for about $40. It lasts me about 8 weeks as i use only 1/8-1/3 of the listed serving of 62 grams. A 62 gram serving has 210 calories, 50 grams protein, only 1 gram of fat and zero carbs! Its nearly 100% whey protein isolate (better than concentrate by far). Like i said i use about 1/8 to 1/3 of the listed serving size.
    Good luck with your search!
  • raiderzara
    raiderzara Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can use the liquid egg whites in a carton - add to smoothies for extra protein, virtually fat-free. Just check your ingredients to make sure they don't have any funky stuff added.

Nonfat Greek yogurt

Canned tuna in water

Shrimp

Chicken Breast

Ground turkey breast
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Non-fat Greek yogurt
    Skim milk
    Eggs / Egg whites
    Tuna / Fish
    Chicken
    Lean beef
    Beans
    Whole wheat pastas / breads
    Potatoes
    Swiss cheese
    Some frozen yogurts / frozen Greek yogurts (yum)
    Kashi GOLEAN (Original) has 13g per serving

As far as protein powder, the cheaper you go, the poorer the quality. ON's Natural Whey in vanilla is delicious, and bodybuilding.com's website sells it for nearly half the price as ON's website.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Tilapia, Swai, egg whites, Greek yogurt, chicken breast
  • Tigerleaf
    Options
    Fage 0% greek yogurt - 10g protein per 100g and 0g fat, 3g carbs. Tastes amazing too!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt
    Cottage cheese
    Tofu
    Soya 'meat'
    Seafood
    Milk
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Low fat cheese strings
    Seitan
    Eggs / egg whites
    Peas
    Edamame
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    trutein protein powder in chocolate peanut butter. its worth the $50ish for the huge container. i use it for shakes and in recipes. omg so good
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Protein shakes are always the go to answer if you need a quick supplement that will fill your macro requirements...
    If you are based in the uk go look up 'instant whey' by reflex nutrition (strawberry flavour is the best), it has 97kcal, 20 G protein and only 3-5g fat so it does meet all your criteria though I do add milk to make it have more protein and make the shake a thicker variant
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    chicken breast
    beef jerky
    greek yogurt
    MorningStar Farms frozen veggie products
    I get the Giant grocery store brand protein powder
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options
    Mmkay. A lot of you suggested greek yogurt. My first experience with the greek was really bad and I have shyd away from it since. What brand(s) do you recommend? (No, I dont remember the brand... It was just really gross.. Gritty and really 'Dry' compared to regular yogurt)
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Mmkay. A lot of you suggested greek yogurt. My first experience with the greek was really bad and I have shyd away from it since. What brand(s) do you recommend? (No, I dont remember the brand... It was just really gross.. Gritty and really 'Dry' compared to regular yogurt)

I really like Stonyfield Organic's plain variety. I'm picky about my organic brands, and I've researched them quite a bit. I like the texture, it's really smooth and has a very purely dairy taste. One cup of the plain with a tablespoon of real bee honey is really nice and refreshing. :)