Does quitting soda actually help with fat/weight loss?

Options
After years of drinking soda on a daily basis, the last time I had soda was on the April 17th. I'm trying to give it up because I heard it helps with weight and fat loss. I have also heard that it can contribute to all sorts of medical conditions like artritis and multiple sclerosis. Granted, I'm not at much (if any) risk for either of those in particular, but I do have a family history of diabetes and would love to avoid that if I can. I have had anxiety and depression issues for a good chunk of my life and the nurse practitioner I see for that recommended at least cutting down on how much soda I drink to see if getting less caffeine helps me. I'm trying to go cold turkey and drink tea, water or milk when I'm thirsty. (I don't drink a lot of milk and haven't in the past few years, so I don't have the problem with getting extra fat through that.)

Has anyone had any luck with losing weight after giving up soda? I'm not expecting to drop a ton of weight and be skin and bones immediately since I see that as incredibly unrealistic. I don't expect to be skin and bones, ever, nor do I want that.

EDIT: Feel free to add me as a friend. I always look forward in helping encourage others in their weight loss goals.

Replies

• FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you keep your calories the same and drop the soda you could lose weight

Say you eat 1500 calls minus 120 calls of a can of soda = 1380
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    You can drop a lot of weight by just cutting out sugary soda (provided you don't replace it with something else). Some say that cutting out diet soda helps them eat less, but that's not as much of a guarantee of weight loss.
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would imagine that you were consuming many hidden calories through soda. Not literally hidden, but calories from a source that you usually don't take in consideration when thinking about your total calorie consumption for the day. If you drink a soda for every meal, that's easily 600+ calories through soda, before your actual meals of solid food. Cutting out those extra calories would definitely make a diet/lifestyle change more painless and effortless.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'd easily drink a 20 oz bottle or two or 3+ cans a day, so I was taking in a lot of calories there.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    For me I had a "can a day" coke zero addiction (ok, I'm using the word addiction loosely).

No calories.

But giving that up was really helpful in my weightloss efforts. For me the coke really did make me hungrier and more likely to snack on unhealthy things. Try it and see what makes a difference to you. We're all different.
  • Fancytiger
    Options
    Speaking from my own experience when I gave up soda & sugary fruit juices I lost 10 lbs in 2 months. I was drinking soda & juices almost everyday though. Now I only drink herbal teas, water, mineral water or almond milk. Once in a while I will take a sip of my hubby's soda but that's it.
  • greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I quit diet pepsi and all caffeinated drinks. I now drink strictly water and I have lost weight and kept it off.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking diet sodas for about a year and it does make a difference to weight. Some people find that cutting all soda, including diet ones, makes a difference to them as well, but I think this varies a lot from person to person.

My husband says that drinking too much soda makes him feel grungy and off-colour. My sister quit drinking them as a teenager because she found that were making her bloated and giving her digestive problems. Personally, I don't have either of those problems. Perhaps it's worth playing around with it.
  • iamnotjustanumber
    Options
    YES.

"Hidden Calories?" ....

They arn't hidden. just include the calorifc value in your calorie count. so if you want a sugar drink, go ahead, but you are going to have to drop something else. Personally, I believe both normal AND diet drinks do you NO GOOD what so ever, particularly DIET COKE which I i'm pretty sure is VERY BAD for you!

Water is the answer.

;-)
  • Renilicious
    Options
    Definitely. Sugar is one of the main contributors to weight gain. You cut back on the sugary drinks and not only will you feel better but you'll have more calories to spend on wholesome stuff that fuels your body properly.

I love juice but it's my "wine" on the rare occasions that I go out to eat. I rarely drink it at home now.

I would personally keep away from the "diet" sodas and soft drinks as well because of the chemical sweeteners that are used in them. Their effects on the body are highly suspect.
  • solrak1969
    solrak1969 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There is no doubt about it. Soda make you gain weight.
  • mikemckinlay
    mikemckinlay Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I quit diet coke and coke zero at the beginning of the year as I felt that I had a bit of an "addition" to it. They may be low in calories but I had read so many articles saying that they are not particularly good for you especially as they are packed with so many artificial additives. I have lost two stone since then although I have been dieting and excercising so I am not sure now much is attributed to giving up the soda.

Since I gave up coke I find that sparkling mineral water with a bit of fresh lime gives me that fizz that I often crave. Also if I feel like living dangerously I occasionaly put a splash of elderflower cordial in it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I quit diet pepsi and all caffeinated drinks. I now drink strictly water and I have lost weight and kept it off.
    On the other hand, I drink diet soda, iced tea, coffee and other caffeinated drinks (along with plenty of water). I've also lost weight and kept it off.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero daily. I drink Pepsi Max daily.... I can put away 2ltrs a day....... I still lose weight.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that carbonated water isn't bad for you. It's the garbage that's in most diet sodas that does increase cravings and have sodium, making you retain water.

I switched to Soda Stream in January and don't drink commercially produced cans or bottle any more.

I feel much better, and it has a large selection of "all natural" options for their flavored syrups.
  • qasim91
    qasim91 Posts: 25
    Options
    I've been off fizzy drinks for some time and quitting it has been good and I haven't looked back since. The only way I would start drinking anything like that again is if Mountain Dew was sold in this country.
    Carry on abstaining from them and see how it goes.
  • Woodsmoke
    Woodsmoke Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My dietician told me that sugar-free fizzy drinks are fine on a diet- I use them as a sweet treat rather than digging into chocolate. :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Sodas arn't hidden calories..just empty ones. i am resigned to being a soda addict for ever :-(
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is fine, I have lost well over 114 pounds and still drink soda, Coffee, Tea, Beer, whiskey, moonshine and water as well.

Weightloss happens when you burn more than you eat at a safe level.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I still drink about 2-3 cans of coke zero a day and have lost weight quickly. I am planning on cutting back to only one a day then none. But not so much for weight loss but to cut out the aspartame.