Chocolate experts out there?

Options
So I love chocolate and I've heard that eating a few pieces of really good quality dark chocolate can satisfy a craving. Anyone know exactly what I should look for and where to get it? Does it need to be a certain percentage of cocoa solids? Something like that?

I want it to be the kind that melts right when it hits your mouth

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I love Belgian Chocolate Thins from Cost-Plus!

This is what they look like: http://www.overstock.com/Gifts-Flowers/Belgian-Chocolate-Thins-Dark-Chocolate-Case-of-12/6366969/product.html

They're really thin slices of chocolate with tiny rice crisps in them. Crunchy and delicious, and very low cal!
  • Sketr5815
    Sketr5815 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a huge chocolate fan myself, I used to scarf down Peanut or peanut butter M&M's like a champ. I didn't really care for dark chocolate but I've slowly been converted. For percent cocoa I've read that 50% is ok, but 60-70% cocoa is best. My favorite brands are Vosges (They do some amazing combinations!) and Sirius Chocolate (It's Icelandic and they know their chocolate). Vosges is available online and in some fancy shops, and Sirius you can get at Whole Foods or Amazon. I'm digging my bar of Sirius I'll eat about 3 squares and call it night. Upside they are very tasty. Downside they are costly. But it worth it to get my fix. Good Luck!
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Skip the ones the poster with the link above put up if you want a REAL chocolate experience :)

Dark Chocolate takes time to get used to so if you're not used to eating dark chocolate I'd move up the gamut slowly. But the percentage you'll want to aim for is 80% and up.

As far as brand goes...Each person has a different brand they like - so try out a few brands and see what you like best!

As far as "How to eat" and that sorta thing for cravings - stick in the freezer and when a craving for sweets come on, eat 1-2 squares and voila!
  • TurangaLeela
    TurangaLeela Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Godiva 85% cocoa demitasse (2 pieces = 120 cal), but it's so intense, I usually only eat one. Green & Black's also makes a lovely dark chocolate. I just bought a 70% from Whole Foods called Chocolove. I think it's creamier than the G&B's. Since some people don't like the bitterness of very dark chocolate, you should probably work your way up from a 60% to find a level you like.
  • juliamamann
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely try these! I think starting with the 60% and working up is a good idea. =D
  • TheYoungys
    TheYoungys Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters above regarding very dark chocolate. It can be an acquired taste but when you get used to it you will never want to go back. I have had 99% bars in the past and they will knock your socks off.

Not sure if you can get them but Rococo and a number of other high quality chocolates offer dark with interesting ingredients (sea salt, lavender, chili or other herbs) and they are very tasty indeed.

Damn, I just ate breakfast and now I want chocolate...... lol
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Chocolate <3

Dark is best, without a doubt. Try it with coffee. It's freaking amazing. I go through a far a day (at least) if I can - planning on two tommorow; a G&B's 85% (100g) and a smaller (45g) 70% I've never tried before.
    Because life isn't life without chocolate.
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Skip the ones the poster with the link above put up if you want a REAL chocolate experience :)

Dark Chocolate takes time to get used to so if you're not used to eating dark chocolate I'd move up the gamut slowly. But the percentage you'll want to aim for is 80% and up.

As far as brand goes...Each person has a different brand they like - so try out a few brands and see what you like best!

As far as "How to eat" and that sorta thing for cravings - stick in the freezer and when a craving for sweets come on, eat 1-2 squares and voila!

^^^ this

I think 80% upwards is best but like others have said, it is an aquired taste. I put it in the freezer too. Stops me overeating it. Not even 10am and now I'm craving choocolate!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Green & Black Maya Gold is lovely - dark choc with a hint of orange and spice. I also like the Lindt excellence dark chocolate with seas salt.

Don't go too heavy on cocoa solids if you're used to very sugary low-cocoa as it will just taste wrong. Maybe start with a good quality milk choc like G&B (35-40% cocoa solids) first.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Green & Black Maya Gold is lovely - dark choc with a hint of orange and spice. I also like the Lindt excellence dark chocolate with seas salt.

Yes. And yes.
  • babecon
    babecon Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate won't "melt as soon as it hits your mouth" though, it has a dry and chalky texture because it doesn't have the milk solids which give milk chocolate its texture.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate won't "melt as soon as it hits your mouth" though, it has a dry and chalky texture because it doesn't have the milk solids which give milk chocolate its texture.

Not if it's good quality chocolate at a medium (ie.60-75%) degree of cocoa solids. Above that, especially in the very high percentage bars, you are likely to have that problem, but not usually until you hit at least 85%. Lindt has an excellent range of dark chocolate, plain and with different flavours (my favourite is 70% with Wasabi). Personally, I'm not keen on Green & Blacks (which I think does tend to have the slight chalkiness you describe). Hotel Chocolat does beautiful, if expensive, chocolate, as does Rocococo, but Lindt is available in most supermarkets and is relatively inexpensive as well as being fairly smooth. Prestat is starting to appear in Tesco in London as well.
  • debralekicsummers
    debralekicsummers Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate above 70% worked for me. a small piece helps keep those craving at bay.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    80-90% Lindt chocolate blocks are amazing!

Dark chocolate is the BOMB, there are too many haters. I love milk chocolate too, but prefer dark chocolate - because it's real chocolate, plus much better for you :)
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I was an expert at eating it, yum.

I sarisfy my chocolate cravings with kinder eggs: only 113cals, they are tiny so you don't have open packs of chocolate in the house to binge on + you get a toy :heart:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Kinder eggs are not chocolate - they are sugar with a bit of plastic in the middle!:sick:

You would be better with a 2-finger kitkat at 109 calories. Or a packet of chocolate buttons.
  • laurelboynton
    laurelboynton Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Not if it's good quality chocolate at a medium (ie.60-75%) degree of cocoa solids. Above that, especially in the very high percentage bars, you are likely to have that problem, but not usually until you hit at least 85%. Lindt has an excellent range of dark chocolate, plain and with different flavours (my favourite is 70% with Wasabi). Personally, I'm not keen on Green & Blacks (which I think does tend to have the slight chalkiness you describe). Hotel Chocolat does beautiful, if expensive, chocolate, as does Rocococo, but Lindt is available in most supermarkets and is relatively inexpensive as well as being fairly smooth. Prestat is starting to appear in Tesco in London as well.

I used to work at Hotel Chocolat. The Chocolate is amazing. The 70% is their standard dark chocolate. The trick is to have tiny nibbles of the chocolate, you taste it so much better this way.

Flavours such as orange and coffee work well with dark chocolate too and adds to the intensity/flavour.

Yum!
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Try this link.
    https://www.bakerscandies.com/index.php?route=common/home

These are the best "melt as soon as it hits your mouth" chocolates I've ever tasted. I've personally driven to the factory where they make them, and not only do they have the best (in my opinion) chocolates in the world, but they have nice people working there and making sure you purchase what will truly make you happy. They also let you try a sample before you buy.

Going to the chocolate factory is one of the joys of my life!
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Check out OHSO ...... you buy a week supply and basically you have the equivalent of 2 squares a day, in pre packaged individual sizes! :-) I find them fab as they take away that little craving, and are only 72 cals
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Kinder eggs are not chocolate - they are sugar with a bit of plastic in the middle!:sick:

You would be better with a 2-finger kitkat at 109 calories. Or a packet of chocolate buttons.

agree, kinder eggs are just sugary to me as well!