Losing weight with PCOS.

Options
I just wondered if there were some ladies on here who suffer with PCOS who have had success losing weight or getting to their goal?

I literally was just diagnosed last night with PCOS. It does explain some things I guess, struggling to lose weight, acne, tiredness a lot of the time with no real reason.....

I do know it IS possible for me to lose weight. I lost around 45lbs last year. But it was very hard work and I’m pretty much at the same weight now as I was last October with at least 40lbs more to go to be anywhere near a healthy weight. I am hungry a lot and don’t feel satisfied after a meal. I don’t know if this is related to PCOS or I’m just a greedy cow lol. But I do seem to struggle a lot and the weight loss doesn’t seem to tie in with scientifically what I should lose, based on the calories I eat.

I was just interested in hearing from other ladies who also suffer who are being successful in losing weight. Do you have to follow a particular plan, or find that certain ways of eating work better for you? Would just really appreciate any advice anyone can share xxx

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Because PCOS presents with insulin-resistance, much-like Type II diabetes (and can lead to it if not managed) many women diagnosed with PCOS eat a low-carbohydrate (some even to ketogenic levels) lifestyle.

You can get good support at the low-carb group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-

... or the keto group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1160-keto

... or the PCOS group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Hi, so I am not diagnosed with PCOS...in all honesty because I'm too scared to ask, but I do have a lot of the symptoms (almost all of them) and have a lot of trouble losing weight. I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard and read that lower carb works better for losing weight with PCOS. I am a carboholic so I haven't tried it yet, but if I go another month without losing, I will probably give it a go. Some people will say <50 per day and others say <100 and some zig zag so some days they eat <20 and others they do more. I think it is a lot about what works for you, but I would consider giving that a try for a month or two and see how it goes. I know I don't have PCOS nor have I tried this myself, but I'm sure if you research it, you will find it has worked for a lot of women. I just don't see it as a viable way for me to live my life this way so want to use it as a last resort.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from PCOS since I was 14 years old before starting this journey I had a cyst close to the size of a grapefruit putting me at risk for surgery! I didn't want to get to that point! I read and read on natural ways to improve and possibly eliminate this cyst among a couple smaller ones! I started taking vitex stopped eating wheat come to find out I'm a celiac and its very common in women that suffer from PCOS! To make a long story short I know longer have super painful periods or pain in those areas anymore and all my cyst have shed and had remained shed ever since! I know wheat/gluten is a hard thing to avoid but I see it as this I rather be pain free and lower my risk of ovaries being removed then indulge in gluten products!

Good luck! I dropped 20lbs in a month and 6 inches off waist and 5 inches off hips so far!
  • StArBeLLa87
    Options
    Hi, so I am not diagnosed with PCOS...in all honesty because I'm too scared to ask, but I do have a lot of the symptoms (almost all of them) and have a lot of trouble losing weight. I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard and read that lower carb works better for losing weight with PCOS. I am a carboholic so I haven't tried it yet, but if I go another month without losing, I will probably give it a go. Some people will say <50 per day and others say <100 and some zig zag so some days they eat <20 and others they do more. I think it is a lot about what works for you, but I would consider giving that a try for a month or two and see how it goes. I know I don't have PCOS nor have I tried this myself, but I'm sure if you research it, you will find it has worked for a lot of women. I just don't see it as a viable way for me to live my life this way so want to use it as a last resort.

Zig zag does work I use this method! I try to stick with healthy carbs vs starchy added sugar carbs
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    My wife has PCOS. She struggles with finding encouragment to deal with the harder effort it takes to lose. You all can add her if you want. She is having success though, just needs encouragment sometimes. (stormygirl_82)
  • msmlivengoof0606
    Options
    I was diagnosed a little over a year ago. I was super stressed, super scared because of the possible futuristic outcomes, you name it I was there. My doctor put me on a diet that is to help with the loss of weight. I began losing weight the healthy way, plus exercised three to four times a week. Unfortunately, I fell off the wagon until just recently. My fiance became one of my biggest supporters and has decided to lose weight with me. The diet is technically like the Atkins, where your carb intake is a lot lower as well as your sugar intake. My doctors goal for me last year was around 20g of carbs. That's almost impossible for someone in my situation, working thirds and no set scheduled lunches. So, now that I've got back into the swing I gave my self a good goal of 40-60 carbs per day as a goal. This will be for a month, and then gradually change it to go lower. I've also got a recipe book about carb meals my mother gave me as well as restaurant book that details carb contents, and I'm restarting my weekly blog about losing weight and my daily struggle. So far, in less than two weeks I've lost a little over 7 lbs. It is very possible to lose weight, it's just not always easy. But, now that I've been eating so much healthier I feel fantastic and more full. I have more energy, I am less dehydrated and I am starting to work out more without the stress on my body. The sugars and carbs will kick your butt if you're not careful. Being with PCOS and insulin resistant (pre-diabetic without having to take shots), I can reverse a lot of the side affects just by eating differently.

www.livengoodwithpcos.wordpress.com
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and am insulin resistant. I've also got gluten and lactose intolerances to contend with, as do many women and girls with PCOS.

Because of my insulin resistance and my issues with gluten and lactose, I've been eating according to what is most commonly known now as the "paleo diet". Eating this way has definitely helped with blood sugar issues as well as some problems related to chronic inflammation that I had.

The other thing that has been absolutely vital for me is exercise. Not cardio (running, elliptical, spin, zumba, etc.), but lifting heavy weights. I do that three times weekly, walk every day, and swing kettlebells two or three days as well.

I think the heavy weight lifting combined with the change in diet has helped to balance my hormones like nobody's business.

You can lose weight--you just need to find the way that works for you, same as anyone else does. PCOS varies widely from person to person, so my way might not be the best way for you, and vice versa.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I had a feeling that people were going to suggest low carb! I have done this before and had my best success with it, I seem to lose better with low carb than anything else, I just get frustrated that I can't even have low calorie things that I like that are high in carbs.

Seems like I need to invest in a low carb cook book and get logging! Please do feel free to add me everyone, would love some extra support.

Thank you all so much for your replies xxx
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Not all women with PCOS need to be on low carb diets....I've got at least a few friends on here who have PCOS, have lost a bunch of weight, and did not worry about carbohydrates. It really depends on what's going on with you. You should speak to your doctor about all this--that's the best way to sort it out. Nobody here knows how to advise you properly regarding your diet, as your situation is not necessarily the same as mine, hers, or hers.

How low carb one can/should eat is another matter that you'll want to ask about if your doctor thinks it's a good idea for you to eat that way.

Low calorie foods are generally higher in carbohydrates because when they remove the fat, they end up adding sugars to make it taste decent. Full fat foods are much more satisfying and taste better (my opinion), though they do take up more space in your caloric budget.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with PCOS since I was 12. The first and foremost myth of PCOS is that your symptoms will be constant for your entire life. The nature of PCOS is that the condition changes and so do the symptoms. I currently have my symptoms well under control, and have done for about 5 years.

I have previously dieted and successfully lost weight with PCOS. It's often harder at the beginning, but as long as PCOS doesn't become an excuse for over eating, you will eventually succeed. I also found I had a long period of plateauing, which suddenly ended with no change to diet- I put some of this down to the PCOS. It's also worth noting that a lesser known side effect can be rapid weight loss- I tend to lose very quickly, but also gain quickly.

I'm starting again with weight loss as I've gained a lot over the last couple of years due to some other stuff. I don't feel that my PCOS is going to prevent this and it won't prevent you from doing it either. We can do it.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and not all women with PCOS are insulin resistant (i am not). ive lose 186 pounds thru exercise, eating well (for most of my journey 1800 calories), getting enough fluids and resting. Best of luck. Oh and i am only 35 pounds away from goal :)
  • StArBeLLa87
    Options
    I'd really would cut out wheat products for at least 3 weeks to see what happens I'm convinced almost every women that suffers from PCOS has sensitivities to gluten and don't even know about it! What do you have to lose I mean yes it takes discipline and a major change but it will help regardless I think! My opinion!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hello there!

Always got a fist-bump for my fellow soul cyster.

The basics - got diagnosed in 2010, however long suspected it was the case. My joyful symptoms include being a big ol' apple shape (although that was more with the distribution of the flab, rather than the cause of the flab itself - that was largely down to an awful diet and sitting on my ever-expanding backside), male pattern baldness, and excess facial hair (sexy, right?).

Meds-wise, I was prescribed Dianette (which I am still on), and Metformin (which I have recently come off).

Long story short, I've lost the best part of six stone (84lb). I started at 16 stone (224lb), or thereabouts - I was a serial scale dodger!

What worked for me in terms of weight loss? Shedloads of hard work, basically. Even in the early days I had to sweat myself inside out to make the smallest losses, but was determined to stick at it - the time would pass anyway, right?

I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew in terms of making changes at the beginning, so my diet was largely portion control rather than setting out a particular plan - one step at a time. And just sensible choices, really - a banana instead of my usual couple of Mars bars, that kind of thing.

As time has gone on, I've tried various diets - I tried very low-carb for a period, but personally found it unsustainable. Low GI worked well for me, and wasn't too restrictive.

Now, as I'm largely at goal and shaping up with heavy lifting, I've shifted over to a high-protein, high good fat, moderate carb diet. I don't deny myself much - life's too short for a world without beer/pizza/chocolate - but they're very much moderated. As a result of the high fat/protein/moderate carb, I've found myself feeling very sated and the hunger pangs - which I don't doubt were down to sugar spikes - are largely eliminated.

Regarding my PCOS symptoms - well, for me there hasn't been a magic wand as such. I still have to have hair ripped out of my face once or month or so, and my crowning glory could never be described as that again. But my physical and mental health have vastly improved, and for me it boiled down to "you can be fat, hairy and balding...or you could just be hairy and balding".

I really wish you all the best - don't feel that you have to fall victim to PCOS and use it as an excuse. It's hard, it's trying, and there are days when I'm due a wax and my hairline looks particularly sparse and I want to cry and shake my first at it all. But eff you PCOS, because I actually don't mind looking in the mirror these days. It can be done, I promise you.

If you want anything else, just drop me a line :) All the best xx
  • StArBeLLa87
    Options
    Soul cysters! That's epic awesome! :tongue:
  • bloodedflowers
    Options
    Last year I was diagnosed with PCOS after a long fight with my docs who were putting all my problems related to it down to hormones for almost 7 years, I eventually was scanned and shown to have it.
    It explained a lot for me too, I always find it really difficult to lose weight without really having to make drastic cuts to everything and work out like crazy! In fact I didn't start properly losing weight until I started tracking everything on this, the second I stop paying close attention to my diet my weight leaps back up.

However, about a in March I decided enough was enough weight wise (I kept yoyoing through dieting and not dieting) and I've stuck to a diet and so far have lost a stone ( that's 14lb or 6kg) :) It takes time but it is possible! ^_^
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi I have PCOS, I had an operation for a large ovarian cyst in September, i never could lose weight on normal cal count, so i tried south beach worked wonders for me and i feel so much better for it. I also had implanon put in about 2 months ago, still losing weight. So its not impossible try low carb and goodluck
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Not all women with PCOS need to be on low carb diets....I've got at least a few friends on here who have PCOS, have lost a bunch of weight, and did not worry about carbohydrates. It really depends on what's going on with you.

Agreed. I was diagnosed with PCOS, I lost 20kg and am a normal weight now. All of my 'symptoms' have gone minus the unsightly body hairs, but I can deal with that. I didn't feel it was any harder to lose the weight and I certainly didn't pay attention to my carb intake. You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your replies everyone, I really appreciate it :flowerforyou:
  • SneakyBat
    SneakyBat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 8 months ago when I was 5st heavier. Prior to that I'd spent about 12 years on the 'tomorrow diet', eating to excess today as my new healthy lifestyle starts tomorrow. I'm vegan so was conscious of my diet anyway but that didn't stop me hitting the morbidly obese category.

I'm PCOS med free and haven't followed a particularly low carb diet but I have cut back on white bread ( I LOVE the stuff and found it difficult to control the amount of bread I was consuming), potatoes and pasta, though I still eat their wholemeal /wheat counterparts. My success has been due to portion control, being aware - actually thinking about when and why I'm eating (I was a bit of an idle grazer) and upping my activity levels. The usual stuff. It's easily maintainable and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

My only symptoms were very very irregular periods and being a bit of a wobbler..while I'm still far wobblier than I'd like to be - I'm a stone and a bit off target - the other stuff seems to have righted itself.

Good luck..you can do this! :happy:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I had a feeling that people were going to suggest low carb! I have done this before and had my best success with it, I seem to lose better with low carb than anything else, I just get frustrated that I can't even have low calorie things that I like that are high in carbs.

Seems like I need to invest in a low carb cook book and get logging! Please do feel free to add me everyone, would love some extra support.

Thank you all so much for your replies xxx

I agree with Albertabeefy. I think a ketogenic lifestyle will help based on the comments from other people on MFP and that it is associated with other metabolic problems. I would also suggest following the Paleo/Primal guidelines of minimizing processed foods and trying to get the highest quality animal products possible.

I eat extremely low carb and I don't miss the higher carb stuff at all, because i don't miss being sick and fat. Not at all.

I have lots of Paleo cookbooks and even though I can't access many of the ingredients, I still find them useful.

I'm having lots of trouble losing weight suddenly, but that doesn't impact my health journey at all. It's a blessing to feel terrific and 30 pounds over weight feels a million times better than 90 pounds over weight.