Where am I going wrong?

Options
I really don't know where I am going wrong, my weight seems to either stay the same or go up by 6 lbs in a week, then come back down. I always try to weigh myself on a Saturday morning at the same scales at the same time to try to keep things steady.

I am currently 176lbs and I am aiming for 140lbs which would be a very healthy weight for my height.

I swim for a minimum of 30 minutes non-stop 6 days a week, I walk the dog for 20 minutes a day on top of that, and on a weekend I walk the dog for 1 hour each day (often more of a hike than a walk). I am aiming for 1,200 calories a day and following the Diet Chef programme.

A typical day:

Breakfast: Breakfast bar with a small banana or smoothie
Lunch: soup and ryvita
Snack: popcorn, oat biscuits, fruit, lots of tea with sweetener and hardly any milk due to an allergy
Dinner: a small portion of curry/hotpot/casserole/lasagna, with about 5 different vegetables and sometimes a few carbs then a glass of wine or two.

I aim for 2 litres of water a day and I just don't understand where I am going wrong!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you only eat 1200 instead of netting 1200 then thats where you are going worng - you need to eat more!

editted to add, if a couple of glasses of wine is a typical day, cut that back to once a week.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your calories? You need to do that
  • nucgirl13
    nucgirl13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am 29 and 168 lbs and am eating 1800 a day to lose 1-2 lbs a week. Try upping your caloric intake for a few weeks to see if that helps. When I was only eating 1600 calories I gained and lose the same 2 lbs for over 3 weeks.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating anywhere near enough. I'm 5'2 losing on 1600 - 1800 cals a day.

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • pwen1988
    pwen1988 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear other people's feedback, as this kind of sounds exactly like my situation & routine (minus all the excersize though, as i do 20min cardio 3times per week only). Currently I'm losing weight (I also weigh myself once a week) but i feel like I'm not losing as much as i planned.
    I reckon one of my major mistakes is the daily alcohol intake, which should probely go down from 7days/week to about 2days/week :laugh:
  • bethany273
    Options
    Thank you! I suppose I was very naive thinking if I stuck to a very low calorie diet it would speed up my weight loss. I will increase this and see how I go.

Would you suggest increasing this with snacks or by adding more carbs into my main meal? I currently tend to only eat carbs 3 - 4 times a week with dinner due to a fear it will automatically convert to fat!

I'm not the cleverest when it comes to diet & fitness as you can tell!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

if its important to you, you can learn.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more. Plus, it sounds as if you follow the same exercise routine every week, and your body has probably got too used to it, so shaking it up a bit and doing something different should help. And ditch the wine,not only is it empty calories but it slows your metabolism down which is going to have a negative effect, especially if you're drinking whilst eating. Good luck :)
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Pretty much echoing everyone here. your body had got used to your exercise plan and the amount of calories you intake so its balanced your metabolism to take this in.

Shock it by upping your calories to match your TDEE - a 20% deficit. Here is a great link to follow to help.

Since i followed this I've lost over a stone in FAT gained strength and am looking leaner. still a way to go but i was eating 1850 calories now recalculated (as you should at every 5lbs) and i now am eating 2150 on non workout days. Im still losing inches and am not starving myself.

'Eat more to lose more'
    It's a bit more complicated than that but its a start

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

Good Luck
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    You're so good at this by sticking to such a difficult routine. Your commitment is evident. I struggle with this too--I have been gaining and losing 6 lbs over and over again. It is really very frustrating! I'm 5' 9" and have about 130 pounds to lose to get me to my 165 pound goal. Currently I try to stay between 1500 (my goal) and the 1760 recommended by MFP. Most days I eat over with my snacking. I'm having a real hard time breaking the late night snacking. I exercise about 4 - 5 days a week. I do water aerobics and I garden and take care of my 4 acre yard. Since September of 2012 I have lost 17 pounds that I have kept off. I am very frustrated. I guess I'm going to follow this thread to see if I can get some ideas as well. Best wishes!
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Bethany, it looks to me like you are eating a lot of carbohydrate. What kind of breakfast bar are you eating? The banana, ryvita, popcorn, biscuits, fruit, casserole/lasagna all have lots of carbohydrate. It's up to you, but I would switch one of those out to something protein rich.
  • karennh65
    karennh65 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I suppose I was very naive thinking if I stuck to a very low calorie diet it would speed up my weight loss. I will increase this and see how I go.

Would you suggest increasing this with snacks or by adding more carbs into my main meal? I currently tend to only eat carbs 3 - 4 times a week with dinner due to a fear it will automatically convert to fat!

To me it looks like you need to add more protien and less carbs.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options

if its important to you, you can learn.

Yep.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Bethany, it looks to me like you are eating a lot of carbohydrate. What kind of breakfast bar are you eating? The banana, ryvita, popcorn, biscuits, fruit, casserole/lasagna all have lots of carbohydrate. It's up to you, but I would switch one of those out to something protein rich.

The carbs don't have as much to do with it as the fact she is not eating enough. Cabs don't magically convert to fat if you are on a deficit. High cab / low carb doesn't matter unless you have a medical condition that such as pcos.
  • FlickMclightly
    FlickMclightly Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just going to echo all of the above ...

You are burning a lot of calories and not eating them back ... Based on your calorie intake & exercise routines you are limiting your body to about 700 cal a day... If you don't eat enough, your body will go into 'starvation' mode and store every little bit you are putting in and won't want to let go of the fat ...

> Get rid of the wine (or at least limit it)
    > Have more protein
    > Change the carbs for cleverer food (other stuff that will still fill you, but it better for you)
    > Change diet routine ... if you body & mind is bored of the same routine ...

I'm eating around 1200 - 1300 calories a day and still losing :)
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    You're so good at this by sticking to such a difficult routine. Your commitment is evident. I struggle with this too--I have been gaining and losing 6 lbs over and over again. It is really very frustrating! I'm 5' 9" and have about 130 pounds to lose to get me to my 165 pound goal. Currently I try to stay between 1500 (my goal) and the 1760 recommended by MFP. Most days I eat over with my snacking. I'm having a real hard time breaking the late night snacking. I exercise about 4 - 5 days a week. I do water aerobics and I garden and take care of my 4 acre yard. Since September of 2012 I have lost 17 pounds that I have kept off. I am very frustrated. I guess I'm going to follow this thread to see if I can get some ideas as well. Best wishes!

You aren't eating enought either. Read the links given, work out your TDEE - 30% (as you have more to lose) and eat that for 6 weeks then adjust if need. You have 7" on me but eat less.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Even this is too little, it's great you are losing weight but is it fat or muscle too?

Do you put any strength training into your workout plan?

I once got myself down to about 13 stone (5'11 man) but was ill, tired and grouchy all the time I had lost a large amount of muscle mass but body fat went slightly up.

This time i'm doing it slower but lifting heavy so weight is coming down bu that is body fat while lean mass is slowly going up :)

MY rules are:

Cardio for fitness/ stamina
    Weight Training for FAT loss/ muscle gain
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Calculate BMR and TDEE. Pick the number halfway in between. Eat back all your exercise calories. Set your macros to 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carb. You will probably gain weight in the beginning while your metabolism resets. Do this at least a month. In the meantime, read, read, read and read some more. Educate yourself, there is plenty of great info here. I would also echo the advice to read the in place of a roadmap thread. Hope this helps. It's basic, but a good start.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Even this is too little, it's great you are losing weight but is it fat or muscle too?

Do you put any strength training into your workout plan?

I once got myself down to about 13 stone (5'11 man) but was ill, tired and grouchy all the time I had lost a large amount of muscle mass but body fat went slightly up.

This time i'm doing it slower but lifting heavy so weight is coming down bu that is body fat while lean mass is slowly going up :)

MY rules are:

Cardio for fitness/ stamina
    Weight Training for FAT loss/ muscle gain

THIS^^^^^^^
  • AdviDaddy
    AdviDaddy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Been there, experienced that.

I echo the same.

You can also:

Minimize Na intake if possible.
    Drink some more water, if you can.
    Eat back your calories - at least partially.